is the Canon XHA1 still a good camera? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #46
Photographer

Re: is the Canon XHA1 still a good camera?

You're right Maurice. I'm on the fence as to whether I need to go all out with a Zacuto Tornado rig for my DSLR video work, or invest in an newer dedicated video camera. The truth is, as you have said, they serve very different purposes.

None the less, I think I need to liquidate my XH and move on. I appreciate your input.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #47
Major Player

Once you sell it, you will probably miss if numerous features despite the advancements.You have to ask yourself, Do I really need something more or will what I have work. You have a dream DSLR lineup. If you can afford the upgrade, want to stick with Canon and want the DSLR look, I would go with the C 100 and get the upgrade which enables auto focus.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #48
Photographer

Good advice. Canon is demoing the 300/500 to me in the next few weeks. I see that as a move into a whole new world. on't really know if I want to complicate my life with it. I do pretty well with the workflow I have currently.
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #49
Major Player

Have fun with those cameras. Unfortunately, my clients don't pay me enough to justify using those cameras. Let me know how you like the new stuff.
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #50
Major Player

Without knowing your specific situation nor having read through the numerous posts, I'd say go with the XHA1. This camera is not dead; not by a long shot (In my opinion) I live in the Chicagoland area and I have absolutely no problem walking into a Walgreens , Walmart, Best Buy, etc. to purchase tapes. Again, in my opinion, it is a much better option for storage than an SD card and the cameras shooting some amazing footage if you know how to use it properly.

As information, I shoot with both tape and card based cameras and I like them both. The Canon XLH1 seems to still be heavily used and in my area seems to out pace the newer XF300 in rental volume.

If the bulk of your business is not dependent on low light, this camera is it. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #51
Photographer

Thanks for your insights Maurice, very much appreciated. I bought a case of MiniDV tapes and am going to spend some quality time with the XH. If you know of anyone who would like an FS-200 Pro at a very reasonable price, send them my way. I don't think I need it in my workflow.

JW

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders