Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 1st, 2006, 10:56 PM   #211
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
HDV 24f... what do you guys use to edit it?
You can edit Canon 24F with Sony Vegas, Canopus Edius, and Adobe Premiere Pro.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM   #212
Major Player

Cineform codec will be the best offer.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:55 AM   #213
Regular Crew

Some folks even convert HDV to DVCProHD (e.g. on http://www.starwaypictures.com/twenty-third/) however I have to agree with Mathieu - at least if you're on a windows platform - that Cineform is currently by far the best trade off codec wise in regard to speed, nearly-loselesslyness (ugh?! ;o) and compression ratio! No real (open source) alternatives in sight.

When using HDVSplit in conjunction with AviSynth you can even automatically do some great stuff in realtime (high quality downscaling/deinterlacing/pre-CC/noise/block filtering whatever) while transcoding/capturing - although that's not suitable for the average user I presume.
So for example an interesting approach would be adding a HDV specialized high quality de-blocking filter while transcoding to Cineform... :)
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:13 AM   #214
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller
interesting approach would be adding a HDV specialized high quality de-blocking filter while transcoding to Cineform... :)
Great idea! :)
Hideaki Anno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:23 AM   #215
Regular Crew

Thx :) .. some time ago I developed a nice DV deartifacting filter but I'm currently looking into some "intelligent" HDV deartifacting algorithm. Although it is said that the HDV/MPEG2 compression "engine" that is used by Canon delivers a slightly higher quality output than the one used in the FX1/Z1 there still will be artefacts of course - especially in scenes with fast movement or camera movement. The most ugly HDV artefact simply is "blockiness". With the NTSC FX1 the effective resolution could even drop below SD if you had fast movement _and_ a shaky camera.

Of course this is not so big of a problem when doing a "real" movie with mostly locked down camera work. But as you all know - even if you're doing sth like that you still want camera movement. Some scenes just demand more dynamic camera movement.

I guess the most "HDV friendly" movie I've seen recently was Michael Hanekes "Caché". :-)
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM   #216
Trustee

Algolith has a fantastic filter for AE that gets rid of MPEG artefacts and mosquito noise around edges. It works absolutely brilliantly.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:34 AM   #217
Regular Crew

But afaik it's nowhere near realtime, right? As are most of Algoliths treats.. of course they work great - but are more on the CPU intensive side.. ;)
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM   #218
Trustee

They do have hardware solutions (actually hardware is their main forte), but I'm not sure if they have SDI etc on them.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #219
Regular Crew

yes i know.. but their hw is quite expensive afaik and not really a feasable option with what we discussed here... and i guess it's not bad to have some competition around ;)
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #220
Tourist

I wish to jump from my Sony TR2000 Hi8 camcorder to Canon XH A1 HDV and possibly HV10 as a second camcorder.
As I have a lot of legacy footage on Hi8 tapes to convert and backup, I wonder if XH A1 has S-video IN/OUT to convert analog Hi8 IN from TR2000 as a vcr to typical DV out?
Terje Hanssen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders