Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1 - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 26th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #121
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Hmmmmm, no component out? bummer
Yes of course both XH cams have component out.

See the sixth photo down from the top of this page: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/articles/images1.php

It's the same "D Terminal" type connector as the XL H1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #122
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Hmmmmm, no component out?
That's clearly visible in the picture of the rear output jacks, down below the AV jack.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Yes, they do. Look at the close up of the left-hand side of the camera from Chris's XH Series Watchdog page: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/images/imgg1buttonsb.jpg You will notice the "Open" button near the top right.

Basically, any HDV camcorder is tape based at this time and records on to standard MiniDV tapes.
Jeff, that's the latch to open the LCD screen. The tape loads on the right side.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #124
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
Jeff, that's the latch to open the LCD screen. The tape loads on the right side.
Ah, I stand corrected. Good catch, Dave! I was looking for it to be in the same place as my Z1U.

Of course it should say "Open/Eject" for the tape carrier access. Here is a picture that does show this button. Look at the third and sixth photo on this page: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/articles/images2.php

The tape carrier is on the right-hand side as Dave states. The open/eject button is on the top right next to the zoom rocker.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #125
Major Player

Wait a sec, since the XHG1 has both audio and video out on the HD-SDI outputs, is there going to be an "XLH1s" to add this function since the XLH1 only does video out on its HD-SDI?

I'm also a little confused at the moment. If I can get uncompressed 4:2:2 HD out of the XHG1, then why would I get an HVX200? I know P2 is an easier solution and I never have to settle for HDV under any circumstances, plus it's cheaper by $1,000 or so depeding where I get one, but the XHG1 looks pretty snazzy at the moment.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see one when they come out, but I hope Panasonic or even Sony have some sort of response ready or pull the "New Canon Camera Panic!!!"-switch we all know they have. I'm not a fan of HDV or the "f" modes, but if I can get the ease of use of HDV with the option for uncompressed output, plus the option to use my current Canon GL1 battery collection, then I may just pick one up by next summer.

But this is all assuming that the RED or SI cameras aren't all they've been hyped up to be when they officially launch.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #126
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
...is there going to be an "XLH1s" to add this function since the XLH1 only does video out on its HD-SDI?
That exact question is currently being discussed in our XL H1 forum at this very moment:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72349

Please direct any responses on this subject to that particular thread. Thanks,

Old July 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #127
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
I'm also a little confused at the moment. If I can get uncompressed 4:2:2 HD out of the XHG1, then why would I get an HVX200? I know P2 is an easier solution and I never have to settle for HDV under any circumstances, plus it's cheaper by $1,000 or so depeding where I get one, but the XHG1 looks pretty snazzy at the moment.
Bottom line for people buying the HVX200 seems to be that it's the most convenient way to record DVCProHD footage with a 'look' that HDV can't match. But an HVX200 with 16 minutes worth of P2 memory costs as much today as two of the entry-level Canons will cost in a few weeks, so depending on your needs that's a big price gap. I think both product lines will continue to be successful, but anyone doing long-form work should wait for the Canons.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #128
Obstreperous Rex

P2 and its tapeless workflow definitely has its place; that's why I've been reluctant to write up a "camcorder comparison" chart with the HVX200 or anything else for that matter. The Canon XH camcorders really compare fairly only to the Sony Z1 and FX1, but even then it might not be all that fair of a comparison. Maybe whatever Sony brings out next will be though.

P2 is a workflow decision... it's also the least expensive way to get into the DVCPRO HD format. I've always tried to impress upon people to choose the format first, then worry about the camera. Hence, why bother with camera comparison charts. For HDV 1080i, it's pretty much between the Sony FX1 / Z1 and the Canon XH, unless you need the big 'ol Canon H1 or the tiny little Sony A1. Right tool for the right job, eh?

Old July 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #129
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I've always tried to impress upon people to choose the format first, then worry about the camera.
Or if you have specific ideas about what you want in terms of camera design, you can start from that. Up until now all the low-cost HD cameras have been so different from each other that it was pretty easy to pick on that basis, with recording format being just one of the important variables. With the new Canon cameras it gets tougher because they clearly compete directly with the Sonys and offer an interesting alternative to JVC and Panasonic at a competitive price. I would think a comparison chart could be useful at this point, with a large disclaimer at the top not to consider any one specification critical unless you know it's critical for you. And by all means "try before you buy" for any HD camera, if you can arrange to do so.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #130
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
P2 and its tapeless workflow definitely has its place...
To be thorough, there are tapeless workflow options for HDV cameras, plus the option to shoot both tape and tapeless at the same time.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #131
Major Player

On the 7th picture on the 2nd images page, I noticed there's a button called "MAGN.". Do you think this is the same as the Z1's 'expanded focus' feature, or is it a common Canon feature I don't know about?
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #132
Major Player

So what's the August Canon announcement?

A 2/3" chip XL H2 ;-) ?
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #133
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley
I noticed there's a button called "MAGN."
It's the same as the Focus Assist feature on the XL H1; it magnifies the viewfinder image by 200%.

Old July 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #134
Regular Crew

Also download Yahoo toolbar, and you can add a button called Translate page. A couple of clicks, and it translates the site perfect.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #135
Major Player

Tape Transport?

Does anyone know if Canon has upgraded the tape transport in the current/forthcoming crop? I'm still smarting over the high-dollar, poor customer service, of getting the transport replaced on my GL2 when Canon *should* have issued a recall. Should I continue to budget $250-$500/year for transport replacement?

Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders