Canon unveils the XHG1 and XHA1 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #46
Major Player

"perhaps the most notable new feature for professionals is an improved SD/HD-SDI, which is available only on the XH G1 as part of the jack pack. The new design embeds not only the video signal and timecode, but now the audio as well. The Canon XL H1’s SD/HD-SD1 required a separate connection for the audio signal."

It is even better than the XLH1's HD/SDI, and who says HDV is DEAD!
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #47
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I assume if the cheaper model doesn't have SDI that it will still at least have component output.
Yes it does. The connector is visible in a picture that Chris posted on the new XH Watchdog Page.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #48
Wrangler

aha, 72mm lens mount...glad to hear dvinfo is all over this like a can o' paint...nice work-up, chris!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Street prices from authorized dealers are seldom if ever higher than the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). At first the prices will be right at MSRP. After quite awhile they'll go down a bit. It's like that for all gear in this market, especially camcorders.
Ah, yes, I can see I was not clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
My guess on the price $2500 and $3999. Street price. Hopefully they will want to run against the Z1U and the FX1. Look for a new DVX100 too.
Well, it appears the MSRP for the XH A1 will be $3999, and for the XH G1 will be $6999. So, I'm guessing the street prices will be somewhat higher than that...at least for the XH G1
I was referring to Bob's estimated street price in my reply and not the MSRP when I said "higher than that."

But, clearly I should have said "higher than what Bob is speculating."
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Oh yeah, I hate to take any air out of Bob's tires, but these babies will definitely sell for full retail.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #51
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
glad to hear dvinfo is all over this like a can o' paint...nice work-up, chris!
More like a big, red Camkote cover...hehe.

A little inside joke between Meryem and myself.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
You guys aren't reading the right web sites...

See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/watchdog.php under "additional features"

See also http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxh/xhfaq.php -- hope this helps,

Well I could say "time makes fools of us all" but since we both posted at 7:44am ....... can we have a seconds count? :)

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #53
Trustee

It’s no successor to the GL2 but it is safe to say that this can be considered a successor to the Sony Z1u. Sony better release a successor from now until October because most people will definitely pick up the Canon XH G1 and the sales of the Z1u will be compromised. The 20X lens alone will be the deal breaker to most people.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
these look impressive. now maybe apple will get off its butt and fully support 24f. i was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a used Z1 because i was getting tired of the wait, but now there's something truly worth waiting for....
I tell you what. You send me $5500 US and I'll send you my "nicely-used" Z1U. I'll then buy the XH G1 when it comes out in November and let you know how I like it! Do we have a deal?

Seriously, this new HDV camera from Sony is making me rethink my Z1U. Of course, as you state Meryem, I would wait until Apple fully supports 24f.

I'm thinking about a Sony XDCAM as my next camera for some of my work, but for the field work I do--and for those of you who don't know me field work usually means 3-days away from civilization in the humid rainforests of the Amazon or a similarly remote place--a small form factor camera is the only way to go. I did not buy the Canon XL H1 because it was a little too big and conspicuous for me.

Meryem, if you can, I suggest waiting for Apple's full support of 24f (which I imagine is around the corner) and then buying one of these new Canons.

Last edited by Jeff Sayre; July 26th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
Jeff Sayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #55
Major Player

I noticed on the Camcorderinfo.com comparison chart that they show the G1 and A1 using 24P, not 24F like the H1, but 24P. This must be a typo.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #56
Trustee

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=172
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #57
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason
I noticed on the Camcorderinfo.com comparison chart that they show the G1 and A1 using 24P, not 24F like the H1, but 24P. This must be a typo.
Canon's info is 24F and 30F, and it is already determined that the GH cameras will use the same CCD block as the XL H1, so F mode it is. So the "24p" quoted elsewhere is irrelevant. BTW, that's what you get for going to other sites. DV INFO has the INFO and direct links to official information. ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #58
Trustee

I never thought I'd be after a handycam again. But this certainly looks like my ideal B camera.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #59
Wrangler

i'm betting you're not going to be able to squeeze that price out of a Z1 for long, jeff, you better unload it while you can!

it will be interesting to see how the other camera companies react. this *is* the proverbial ball out of the park, in my humble opinion. this is the ultimate travel/outdoors camera, and it will perform most excellently in the studio as well. every other HDV camera release has involved some sort of compromise for the types of work i do (too small zoom, inadequate audio set-up, no in-camera progressive option). this is the one.

actually, this is the two! i think getting one of each of these will be the way to go....

i wonder how that red camkote will work with one o' these!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #60
Major Player

Do these cameras even have a tape slot?
Kevin James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders