DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Chris Hurd September 27th, 2006 07:09 PM

I should be able to confirm it for you, with photos, in about 24 to 36 hours from now.

Chris Hurd September 28th, 2006 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As promised, here it is: the guess about the access tab on the door is correct (click photo to see big).

By the way, Canon USA has asked me to demo these cams today for a group of college / university video program coordinators (as I do for CUSA and other companies from time to time at various trade shows and other events), so I have access to the A1 and G1 for a short time. So let me know what else I can show you.

Kevin Shaw November 10th, 2006 09:06 AM

XH-A1 battery life?

Just wondering what battery life for the XH-A1 is like in recording mode, both with the standard battery that comes with the camera and any bigger batteries available from Canon. Also, is there an indicator somewhere to estimate battery life remaining, and if so where and in what form?

Cody Lucido November 10th, 2006 11:53 AM

An energy hog is the best description I can give you. The battery that came with gives me about 2 hours or continuous operation. That might be because I use the flip out LCD over the eyepiece.

I just ordered a BP970 that is supposed to give 6.7 -7.5 hours of life. We shall see.

Noel Evans November 10th, 2006 06:06 PM

Heh this is one thing I need to be a bit more aware of, I have not stopped for a second to check battery times and its pretty important that I know. I have the 970. An hour use here and there hasnt seen the bar go down at all.

Ill keep a closer eye on it in future. I am using the lock function a lot so it saves me power.

Pete Bauer November 10th, 2006 06:18 PM

Cody, that's a surprising assessment...sure you had the battery fully charged to start with?

The XL H1 lasts many hours on the standard BP-950G battery and I had the XH A1 powered on today using the LCD for well over an hour (although not recording), and the battery icon still shows fully charged.

The XH User manual shows over three hours using the LCD on bright under typical shooting conditions (see p17 of the manual). The battery icon in the display is depicted on pp142-143. Here's the existing sticky thread with a link to the downloadable user manual:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78794

I'll keep watch on battery life, as no doubt many others will.

Chris Hurd November 10th, 2006 07:26 PM

Canon claims five hours for the BP-950G and seven hours for the BP-970G. It'll be nice to know what the real-world endurance is like under a variety of conditions.

Cody Lucido November 10th, 2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Cody, that's a surprising assessment...sure you had the battery fully charged to start with?

The XL H1 lasts many hours on the standard BP-950G battery and I had the XH A1 powered on today using the LCD for well over an hour (although not recording), and the battery icon still shows fully charged.

The XH User manual shows over three hours using the LCD on bright under typical shooting conditions (see p17 of the manual). The battery icon in the display is depicted on pp142-143. Here's the existing sticky thread with a link to the downloadable user manual:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=78794

I'll keep watch on battery life, as no doubt many others will.

Yeah, that is a fully charged battery that came with it. Not sure the number on it. I shot for almost the full two hours and used zoom and focus.

Twice now it has come in like that. I just got my 970G so I am really looking forward to that.

Kevin Shaw November 11th, 2006 09:41 AM

Thanks guys. Sounds like even the most pessimistic assessment is a big improvement over typical battery life for the Canon GL1/GL2.

Bill Pryor November 11th, 2006 10:03 AM

Coming from bigger cameras, a 2 hour battery life looks awesome to me.

Joe Simon November 12th, 2006 11:25 AM

I shot a wedding yesterday with the A1. I shot for 6 hours straight and only used 1.5 batteries. I was very surprised that they lasted that long, but is awesome!

Steve Nunez November 12th, 2006 11:27 AM

The batts will last longer if you go tapeless as the transports wont be spinning tape stock.....another good reason for a Firestore!

Pete Bauer November 12th, 2006 11:29 AM

Joe, was that with the standard BP-950G battery that comes with it, the larger 970, or 3rd party? Just curious because of the earlier comments about short batt life, which doesn't match my experience so far nor the battery life tables in the user manual.

Joe Simon November 12th, 2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Joe, was that with the standard BP-950G battery that comes with it, the larger 970, or 3rd party? Just curious because of the earlier comments about short batt life, which doesn't match my experience so far nor the battery life tables in the user manual.

I was using the 950G, the one that comes with the camera.

Monte Raynor November 13th, 2006 10:38 AM

Battery Charging

Does the battery charge when the dc power adapter is in use? I have tried this several times and notice that the charging light goes off when I use the dc adapter. Is this normal?
Thanks

Chris Hurd November 13th, 2006 10:49 AM

Yes that's normal. The CA-920 Compact Power Adapter functions as either a battery charger or as a camera power supply, but not both at the same time.

Devan Woodruff November 13th, 2006 08:26 PM

im not sure, but I believe this has something to do with not wearing out the battery.

Herbert Bolander November 15th, 2006 10:05 AM

does the battery ever get warm/hot inside the A1?

I started to think about this after playing with the
Canon G7 camera that I bought last night. It gets
very warm after only 20 to 30 minutes of shooting.
That's only with a small lithium battery, compared
to the big lithium battery inside the A1 camcorder.
Does the battery ever get warm/hot inside the A1?
(after an hour of use?)

Thanks!

Lou Bruno November 15th, 2006 08:36 PM

BATTERY TIP-How to remove a stuck battery.

Some users are reporting that their batteries are getting stuck inside the camera causing difficulty in removing same.

Here is a tip: Get those small tiny clear suction cups that are used to dangle items from a holiday window. Simply press the cup against the battery and pull it out.

This does NOT seem to be an issue with REAL CANON batteries but rather the knock-offs that are slightly longer in size.

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2006 08:59 PM

Excellent tip, Lou... thanks for sharing this!

Bill Pryor November 15th, 2006 09:13 PM

If you don't have a suction cup, probably a piece of gaffer tape would work, but not quite as well. Best to stick with Canon batteries if possible. I'm guessing the housing on the cheaper batteries may be just a little bit thicker.

Lou Bruno November 16th, 2006 07:30 AM

And longer not allowing the small release button to have enough tension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
If you don't have a suction cup, probably a piece of gaffer tape would work, but not quite as well. Best to stick with Canon batteries if possible. I'm guessing the housing on the cheaper batteries may be just a little bit thicker.

Larry Huntington November 16th, 2006 03:07 PM

I shook the camera downwards while holding the batery release button. This is with the big Lenmar battery. I am thinking about sanding the case of the battery with fine grit to fix the issue. It seems to slide out easier now after the first time it was stuck.

Herbert Bolander November 18th, 2006 09:30 AM

What's the "G" in the A1's battery, BP-950G?

What's the "G" in the A1's battery, BP-950G?

I was too excited when I got my A1 and charged the BP-950G in my old, really old, Canon 910 charger that was sitting my my table. For some reason, it would not reach a full charge in that old thing. I now charge the BP-950G in the new charger that came with the A1 and no problems. :)

Thanks!

Chris Hurd November 18th, 2006 09:46 AM

Graphite. See http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68012 (The search function is your friend).

Bill Doyle November 18th, 2006 04:04 PM

Herbert,

I'm not sure about the 910, but the paper that comes with the 970G battery says that if you use it with a series 900 charger, it will indicate a full charge when, in reality, it is not. They suggest removing the battery and putting it back in the charger for a full charge.

Alex Dolgin November 19th, 2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Doyle
Herbert,

I'm not sure about the 910, but the paper that comes with the 970G battery says that if you use it with a series 900 charger, it will indicate a full charge when, in reality, it is not. They suggest removing the battery and putting it back in the charger for a full charge.

It probably is due to the timeout safety circuit in the older one. The new higher capacity pack takes longer to charge, so the timeout kicks in preventing full charge.

Dick Graham January 13th, 2007 01:01 PM

IDX Battery Adapter

Is there an adapter for the Cannon XH-A1 to use the IDX V-Lock 10s batteries. They have worked well with my XL-1 and I would like to use them with my new XH-A1.

Chris Sinista January 20th, 2007 04:48 PM

what batteries do you guys find fit best

I heard that the impact batteries are a very tight fit in the A1.
Is the cannon bp 950/970g are only opions?

Stu Siegal January 20th, 2007 06:13 PM

I use the 950/970's they fit perfect, last forever, and cost about the same as the off brand, if you shop around.

Anthony Leong January 20th, 2007 07:27 PM

Just go buy the Canon BP950/970 instead of those other brands since the price is almost the same. Give Scott a call from Tapeworks, since his price is pretty good on the Canon batteries.

Chris Hurd January 20th, 2007 07:55 PM

There have been several reports of third-party clones of the large battery getting stuck in the battery well. That doesn't seem to happen to genuine Canon batts, so I see no reason not to stick with them.

Larry Kamerman January 21st, 2007 01:08 PM

I have used the Power2000 for a few weeks now without incident. Fits without a problem and holds its charge well. Of course, I've only used it for a few weeks, so I can't comment on how it will work long term.

Byron Huskey January 21st, 2007 01:11 PM

I'm using 2 BP-945s as well (listed as working with the xl-h1, along with the 950 so I *think* it's mostly the same) and they're big, but fit perfectly.

Bill Pryor January 21st, 2007 05:17 PM

Anthony, the only batteries I can find on Tapeworks' web site are like AA, C--flashlight batteries. B&H is $129 for the BP-950G battery pack. I'm wondering if anybody else is significantly cheaper. That's not bad for a battery that lasts half a day with ease.

Bill Busby January 21st, 2007 07:32 PM

I bought Lenmar version of the *edit* (970) for $70 & placed a "pull tab" made of gaffer tape on the end. Shoddy workaround, but it works & isn't likely to ever lose it's adhesive. I can't really see spending close to twice as much for a Canon brand even though it's supposed to "fit". I haven't found them anywhere near what I paid for the Lenmars.

Tony Tang January 21st, 2007 10:32 PM

IDX makes two options:

1. IDX A-E2H1 Endura Power Adapter - for Canon XL-2 and H1 DV and HDV Camcorders, for Using V-Mount Batteries (I could not find this on IDX's web site, so here's a B&H link.)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

2. IDX SD-1E belt pack with 4-pin XLR connector that requires a separate 4-pin XLR to Canon power mount cable
http://www.idxtek.com/7_2v%20solutions.pdf

Even though it is designed for mounting on the XLH1, I would recommend option 1 because it comes with a 2-pin 12V Powertap connector on the plate (for powering lights or HD recorder) and it comes with the 7.2V Canon power connector. You could use something like the large size Jimmy Box (http://www.jimmybox.com/) to mount the plate and battery securely beneath the camera using some velcro. You'll end up with an IDX battery solution that beats the Anton Bauer Elipz because you've got a 12V Powertap on the IDX plate that you won't get with the Elipz. Plus you get to use your existing IDX V-mount batteries and charger.

Option 2 alone is about the same price as option 1, but for option 2 you need to purchase an additional $90 adapter cable to make it work with the Canon camera and to get the Powertap connector. Then you also have more wire hanging around that needs to be tied down.

Oh... if you're not going to use your old XL1's V-mount plate, then you could take that plate and mount it in a large size Jimmy Box for your XHA1. This saves you over $200 from buying another V-mount plate.

Tony

Scott Cantrell January 22nd, 2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Anthony, the only batteries I can find on Tapeworks' web site are like AA, C--flashlight batteries. B&H is $129 for the BP-950G battery pack. I'm wondering if anybody else is significantly cheaper. That's not bad for a battery that lasts half a day with ease.

Bill, Tapeworks website is a work in progress. Our website is small because TapeWorks is a small business. Our website does not provide all products and accessories that we offer because most of our business is person to person, not online ordering. Most of our clients either call or email to let us know what products they are looking for and I can generally provide better pricing than what is found on our website or our competitors website. If you can not find a product or simply require information that we can provide on products, please contact us and we will be glad to assist.

TapeWorks does have the Canon BP970G in stock for $149.00 and the BP950G for $119.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell - HDVinfo.net
scott@tapeworkstexas.com
866-827-3489

Bill Pryor January 22nd, 2007 10:51 AM

Thanks for that info!

Barry Gribble January 30th, 2007 10:33 PM

Anton Bauer Elipz

Hey,

I'm finally putting together an order from B&H and they are selling the A1 in a package with the Elipz battery.

Has anyone used one of these? Any feedback on them? Do they get in the way of hand-held shooting?

Thanks in advance.