DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Josh Laronge October 19th, 2007 11:19 AM

Impact batteries are a gamble as are some of the other after market brands. I have one for my A1 that works great and I have some for my Canon still cameras that work great too. However, I also have 2 Impacts that don't work because they don't fit right. It's a hard choice because when they work, the Impacts are a lot cheaper.

Don Palomaki October 19th, 2007 12:13 PM

I have used Lenmar after market batteries over the years with success. No noticeable difference between them and similar rated Canon in XL1 or GL1. However, be aware that some older Lenmar models (e.g., the LIC941) may not fit the A1 because they are a hair too large for the compartment. The LIC950 fits, and I hear the LIC970 fits, and appear to work OK in the A1.

Scott Cantrell October 19th, 2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cusi (Post 761423)
If you are looking for the bang for the buck set of lights then go for the Anton Bauer ANUL26 UL2-6 Ultralight w/ ANULSB UL-SB SoftBox. I got these from the same place as well. As recommended from other threads, use this with 35w bulbs.

John, the UL2-6 is a 12volt light and has a powertap connector, the XHA1 is 7volt and no PT out, how are you powering that light?

John Cusi October 19th, 2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell (Post 761539)
John, the UL2-6 is a 12volt light and has a powertap connector, the XHA1 is 7volt and no PT out, how are you powering that light?

Scott, this is what i use to power up the ultralight2:

Anton Bauer Digital DIONIC 90 Lithium Ion Battery 14.4V 90 WH. I've been using this battery before at work so I didn't have to put up with the cash.

Philip Gioja October 20th, 2007 09:28 PM

Batteries Question - GL2 to A1?

Can you use batteries from a GL2 in an XH A1? I see that they fit, but the specs are a little different, and BH doesn't cross reference them.

Matt Barwick October 20th, 2007 10:20 PM

No problem using them.

If you're using after-market batteries, they can become stuck in the compartment though, so be sure to fix some tape around it to use as a handle to remove.

Don Palomaki October 21st, 2007 06:31 AM

If they fit easily, you are OK.

As noted some after market batteries are a too tight fit, my experience is this applies to some batches of the Lenmar LIC941.

Try batteries carefully before a shoot. It wilt be no fun having a battery stuck and not replaceable during a shoot.

Tracy Smith January 2nd, 2008 01:31 PM

Replacement Battery Charger

Not sure how this happened, but somehow over the Christmas Chaos, I lost my battery charger in the mess. I've looked high and low and there are no signs of it anywhere. So I figured I'd just buy a replacement.... HOLY CRAP!! They're how much!!!?? Cheapest I've seen is $120 plus shipping. Guess I should have taken better care of that little black box. So I was just considering getting one of the off brand chargers for $30. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm thinking I cannot use these to power the camera directly though. Any chance they might destroy my batteries or worse, my camera?
Thanks everyone.
-Tracy Smith

Cesare Improta January 2nd, 2008 02:07 PM

You can try these links:

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/epages/s...ducts/06009009

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-DC-Battery-Ch...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charger-For-CANO...sid=p1638.m118

From 3$ to 26$ (sabaoceanic sells very great products, including Japan cell BP-970 7500mah at 67$

Bye

C.J. Daniel January 2nd, 2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy Smith (Post 801385)
Not sure how this happened, but somehow over the Christmas Chaos, I lost my battery charger in the mess. I've looked high and low and there are no signs of it anywhere. So I figured I'd just buy a replacement.... HOLY CRAP!! They're how much!!!?? Cheapest I've seen is $120 plus shipping. Guess I should have taken better care of that little black box. So I was just considering getting one of the off brand chargers for $30. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm thinking I cannot use these to power the camera directly though. Any chance they might destroy my batteries or worse, my camera?
Thanks everyone.
-Tracy Smith

hav u retraced u steps... i sometimes lose chargers because I go to events (parties, christmas...) with low batteries and I plug into the friends house to charge. i hav not used a non-oem charger for this camera but i have for my hv20 and others cameras without any issue.

Thomas van den Berg January 17th, 2008 10:39 AM

Cheap battery

Hi there,

As I was looking for some extra equipment for my XH-A1, I discovered some extreme cheap batteries on ebay. These no-name batteries are being sold as ok-quality with all the necessary features (received a CE-mark for having protection against overheating, shortcircuiting en overcharging). I wonder if anyone has ever tested one of those. They are being sold for under $20,- in Germany.

'7,2V/7,4V Li-ion Power ErsatzAkku BP-930'

As there must be some policy preventing links to such sites I won't include it in my post.
I know I should be very very sceptic about such things and I would be very willing to test such a battery, but I would regret it when it would destruct my camera. So I hope anyone has some experience using those no-name batteries!

Ivan Mosny January 17th, 2008 11:20 AM

I have buyed some other Brand Batteries a years a go for my XM1. Even four Mark Batteries from Duracell - and no one of them did the work more than one and half year.
I have looking "into" my Sony, Duracell and Canon Batteries - all of them (Sony too) uses Panasonic LiIon Cells. With identical Cells should it not be a difference - but my Canon Batt buyed with XM1 is still working good in my XHA1 and two 7 years old BP 930 too. I have 4 dead Duracells and 3 dead NoNames.
Because Cells in Canon Batteries are selected to build a good battery, because Canon batteries have better electronic to balance the Voltage of the cells by Charging.
If you buy something others - its cheaper, but its everytime a lottery.

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas van den Berg (Post 809874)
... I would be very willing to test such a battery, but I would regret it when it would destruct my camera.

You have answered your own question. If you buy "cheap" it could turn out to be very expensive.

Thomas van den Berg January 17th, 2008 12:01 PM

Yeah I know it's kinda ignorant to asume the cheap batteries offer the same as the more expensive ones. However, sometimes ppl pay just for the name, for example in the inkjetprinter cardridge sector. Some tests proved that other no-name cardridges had the same or even better quality. And according to some miniDVtape-discussions on this board, expensive doesn't always mean the best quality or the best choice.
So Im just curious if the price for Canon batteries is name-based or quality based. Ivan makes me think it's all about quality.

Gert Kracht January 17th, 2008 12:07 PM

Hello Thomas,

If you're looking for a good and cheap solution:

http://www.koopdigitaal.nl/product_d..._product=24545

This adres is pretty much close to Enschede too. I can tell, because I have been there many times.

But still, it may seem silly to buy an original BP970 but they are VERY good.
You can film up to eight hours on one battery!

I have two: the original 950 and a original 970.

The battery is the main powersource of your camera. It brings your camera to life! If something bad happens to that battery the same thing could happen to your camera. Just think of it.....

I know the A1 is a pretty nice and expensive camera. It's good. Very good. So choose the right hardware for your camera: batteries, cables, tapes etc.

Don Palomaki January 17th, 2008 12:08 PM

I believe that most users have found that recognized brand name after market batteries will provide decent service and return on investment equal to or perhaps better than OEM batteries. However, as with all mass produced items there is variation among samples.

The truly generic (no name) batteries would tend to be more of a gamble, in part because there are no market forces to keep them "honest" in the interest of protection their name/reputation. Some of the reduced cost is thanks to less allowance for distribution channels, advertising, quality control, packaging, and warranty service.

Ultimately you pay your money and take your chances.

Kellen Dengler January 17th, 2008 02:04 PM

On the topic of non-Canon batteries...

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=489615&is=REG

David Chia January 17th, 2008 02:06 PM

I guess you haven't seen a melt down on your camera yet. I can tell you it is not a pretty sight. My friend had a battery from china (ebay) and his 3000 euros camera when in for repair after it melt down inside the battery compartment. The fake batteris tend to get stuck in the compartment too. And with the bp 970 , there is no room at all to move, so when that gets stuck, you have a handful trying to get it out.

Sometimes you get lucky but I"m not willing to risk my 3000 euro camera for anything less. If anything happens, you are not covered.

Spend the extra money and you can sleep at night or even during a shoot.It is a great investment. The original batteries last a long time, I still have some batteries that are from an XL1.

I have two original BP 970 and many extra original XL1 batteries and one original BP 950 that came with the camera.

Bill Busby January 17th, 2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler (Post 809985)

Based on the size of those batteries in the photo, & with that adapter needed, I don't see how the battery compartment door could even close.

Bill Pryor January 17th, 2008 03:05 PM

"This plate attaches to the camcorder via the battery mount allowing a Series 7 SL-50 to power the camcorder. "

That is strange. There is no battery mount--it's inside. I don't see how this could work at all.

David Chia January 17th, 2008 03:08 PM

My guess is that the battery is the same size as the BP 950 and when you place it over their plate it works out to be the same size like the BP 970. and you slide it in like the Bp 970. But again, I'm only guessing.

Maybe I'm wrong, it has a Capacity 7000 mAh , so that can't be right. the BP 950 has only 5200 mAh and the BP 970 has 7200 mAh. I don't think the plate fit the size of 200 mAh in mass size of the battery.

Ivan Mosny January 17th, 2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas van den Berg (Post 809923)
Ivan makes me think it's all about quality.

I am working with electric RC Planes and cars. They needs currents up to 140A and due to this has every battery much harder life as a camera battery. Here is abolutelly necesarry to use computer measurement technology for charging and balancing batteries and cells. To build a competitive battery pack, you need hundreed of cells to select 10 cells with optimal parameters for a pack.
You can buy 6cells for a battery pack for 30 Euro or 6 cells from the same brand and type for 250 Euro. All cells looks absolutly identical - but the 6 one for 250 Euro are measured as cells with lovest resistance and highest Voltage. They are pushed and matched and you win the competition, because your car can push and accelerate harder and for a longer time.
These are many options how to make a camera battery cheaper. But to be really sure to buy quality - you have to buy Canon batteries - even with extra payment for Canon logo.

Bill Busby January 17th, 2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 810032)
"This plate attaches to the camcorder via the battery mount allowing a Series 7 SL-50 to power the camcorder. "

That is strange. There is no battery mount--it's inside. I don't see how this could work at all.

Upon looking at that photo again... I agree, there's no way that thing would even fit in the battery compartment. My previous comment about the door not closing should be retracted! :))

Waiting for renders gives me the opportunity to be a googlelite! Found this :-\

http://www.series7battery.com/

David Chia January 17th, 2008 04:08 PM

Wow, doesn't it make the XHA1 even heavier in the front being what it is already. I guess when you add the Wd72 wide angle lens, the thing is nose diving...

Kellen Dengler January 17th, 2008 04:49 PM

Woah! I had no idea that thing connected ontop of the hot shoe like that, or externally from the battery compartment, where I thought it would go, since it's, you know...a battery. This is not practical for me at all. I'm really glad you posted that link Bill...

Don Palomaki January 18th, 2008 07:59 AM

For having a 2006 copyright notice, the Series7 web site is pretty lame as far as providing information about their products; e.g., no user manuals, no FAQ, etc.

Colin McDonald January 20th, 2008 01:54 PM

Battery protector

Is there a convention for which way to fit the cover on charged and discharged camera batteries? Which is the colour (blue or grey) which should show through the slot for each?

David Chia January 21st, 2008 01:38 AM

if you read the manual it states that blue is charged and grey is empty, but it is total up to you. I have them this way so that I know which is which when I have a long shoot, especially weddings...

Colin McDonald January 21st, 2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 811583)
if you read the manual it states that blue is charged and grey is empty, but it is total up to you. I have them this way so that I know which is which when I have a long shoot, especially weddings...

Oh dear - a case of RTFM! Sorry about that and thanks for reply.

Incidently I use the PDF manual much more than the paper one because I can find things a lot quicker, but in this case I didn't look at all.

John Stakes February 17th, 2008 11:00 PM

has anyone tried the Impact line?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ery_Pack_.html

Jack Walker February 18th, 2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 828166)

I have an impact battery for an XH-A1. It has worked fine.

John Stakes February 18th, 2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 828217)
I have an impact battery for an XH-A1. It has worked fine.

how long have you been using it?

Arnold Tersteeg February 18th, 2008 08:14 AM

Hallo Thomas

Look here i use 2 of them for a year no problems.

http://www.saake-shop.nl/products/Ca...2F+BP-941.html

Todd Smaretsky February 19th, 2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold Tersteeg (Post 828293)
Hallo Thomas

do they fit the a1 slot?

John Stakes February 27th, 2008 07:00 PM

any update on Impact battery users?? It's either two of these, or one from Canon :(

Gert Kracht February 27th, 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold Tersteeg (Post 828293)
Hallo Thomas

Arnold,

Does this battery have the same amount of electrical contacts as the original BP970 of Canon?

Groeten,

Gert

Kalulu Ngilo February 28th, 2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 834346)
any update on Impact battery users?? It's either two of these, or one from Canon :(

i too also have the Impact BP970. It has 7600 mAh, been using it for over a year now. Let me give you a nice scenario.

I charged this battery about 1.5-2weeks ago until it was full. I threw it in my camera bag, I had 4 tapes of HD footage on my desk that needed to be captured.

Now all the capture was done about almost 2weeks later.

1) I rewind all the tapes, then i capture.
2) Four hours later, the battery was only at half mark. My camera LCD was on so i could see the video, plus audio was up too.

4 tapes, 4 rewinds, 4 captures with playback on lcd(video/audio). Battery only at half mark.

I would definitely recommend this battery. Not a single regret at all, it fits the camera perfectly too!

Steve Nunez February 28th, 2008 06:38 AM

I use allot of Impact batteries (B&H sells them) in various electronics I have and they've all been great- no issues at all.

John Stakes March 1st, 2008 10:14 AM

thankyou for those comments! I am buying my Impact BP970 right now from B&H.

John Stakes March 3rd, 2008 05:18 PM

ok, i lied...ended up going with the Canon battery...now I can sleep at night.