DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XH batteries / battery thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/72441-canon-xh-batteries-battery-thread.html)

Mike Teutsch March 3rd, 2008 05:34 PM

How's this to keep you on the sleeping pills?!

I have used the Canon and off brand batteries for years now and I have only had one fail and that was just a few weeks ago. It was the brand new Li-ion battery pack "G" that came with my new XL H1. It just quit all of a sudden. Says it's fully charged when on the charger, but put it on the camera and it does nothing.

I think I'll buy some more ebay 945's. :)

Mike

Vinny Flood March 9th, 2008 01:08 PM

They're charging us £200 ($400) on average for Canon batteries (BP-970) over here, which is more than double the price people pay in the US.

Has anyone found good quality non-Canon batteries in the UK? Or have the name of a supplier who sells Impact batteries?

Bill Busby March 9th, 2008 01:17 PM

Yikes! You could probably order from B&H and even with shipping costs come out way ahead.

Good luck

John Stakes March 10th, 2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch (Post 836871)
How's this to keep you on the sleeping pills?!....I think I'll buy some more ebay 945's. :)

Mike

the thing is that I had a deadline to make, and I could not take any chances on a 3rd party battery. Canon battery is guarunteed no issues. And if there ever are issues, they will get there battery right back. Plus I don't have to have the lingering thoughts (is the mAH level right, will the battery meter work, am i getting the right amount of volts, etc...) Could this possibly effect performance, or is a battery just a battery just a battery? Now I don't have to ask these questions.

and Vinny...Bill is right, if you go with Impact, get them from B&H.

-JS

Karim Amanali September 12th, 2008 04:19 PM

The difference between canon and impact is $20.00 why wouldn't one just purchase the canon brand instead? I am looking to buy new batteries soon and I just noticed that on the website. I will be getting the canon brand for the peace of mind but shipping is where i am getting hit hard. I will try to see if I can get the canon battery from ebay. Shipping is coming to close to $50.00 USD :( from B&H.

canon bp 945 | B&H Photo Video

Samuel Ko October 8th, 2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karim Amanali (Post 933999)
The difference between canon and impact is $20.00 why wouldn't one just purchase the canon brand instead? I am looking to buy new batteries soon and I just noticed that on the website. I will be getting the canon brand for the peace of mind but shipping is where i am getting hit hard. I will try to see if I can get the canon battery from ebay. Shipping is coming to close to $50.00 USD :( from B&H.

canon bp 945 | B&H Photo Video

wow $50?

if you want i can pick up anything for you at B&H since i live/work in nyc and im there at least once a week.
I took get all my goodies from there.

I use Lenmar BP970G tho. same quality and feel as the OEM Canons.

Jacques E. Bouchard November 20th, 2008 05:17 PM

I bought two batteries on ebay for about $20 (shipping included) each, and so far they've performed as well as the factory battery supplied with my XH-A1. They're made in (and shipped from) China, and before anyone purses their lips let me remind you that Canon doesn't MAKE batteries - they're often made in the same Asian factories as the no-name articles, but you pay a 1000% mark-up for the little decal and warranty. ;-)

J.

Nick Wilcox-Brown January 10th, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Flood (Post 839647)
They're charging us £200 ($400) on average for Canon batteries (BP-970) over here, which is more than double the price people pay in the US.

Has anyone found good quality non-Canon batteries in the UK? Or have the name of a supplier who sells Impact batteries?

Vinny,

You are probably sorted by now, but anyone looking for a batt in the UK would be well advissed to go with SWIT - videogear.co.uk sell them - I think around 65quid for the BP945 equivalent - deligted with mine for the XH - no issues at all. A couple of hours use and the battery guage just starts to move off full. They also make good external monitors.

Nick.

Ian Wright January 11th, 2009 09:28 AM

I've bought a couple of 970 equivalents from Amazon at about £30 each. So far they've been fine.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Nick Wilcox-Brown January 11th, 2009 12:07 PM

Good for you Ian and half the price of the SWIT too! Never thought of Amazon for these

Nick

Amish Solanki March 19th, 2009 10:07 AM

Anyone know a good Canadian dealer to pickup these batteries from? I would prefer a 950 as the 970 is pretty heavy when it comes to using it on a glidecam.

Ayesha Khan March 26th, 2009 08:18 AM

American Batteries

hi there.

is it okay to buy batteries from the USA? They work out cheaper and i'll be going there in a couple of months.

Marc Theiler July 15th, 2009 12:20 AM

Battery Question - Very Important

I am leaving for a backcountry trip where I may be up to 30 days without being able to recharge any batteries. I have the Canon XH-A1 and I am looking for extra batteries.
I tried reading several pages on this thread and came away with nothing. So I would like a direct response and some advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

I am looking for roughly 4 additional 970 type batteries. I am leaning heavily toward brand X batteries because they are much cheaper. I've heard about the fitting problems, so I would like an off brand battery that fits properly and would work flawlessly in my XH-A1.

Also, will these batteries fit in the stock Canon charger or do I need to purchase a separate charter, if I need to buy a separate charger are they easy to obtain online?

Appreciate it guys!!!

Taky Cheung July 15th, 2009 11:04 PM

I have off brand BP970G batteries for sale and standard wallplug charger.

L.A. Color Shop | BP-970G Canon Compatible High Capacity Battery

I myself also use these batteries for my two XH-A1 and 6 of these batteries for a full day wedding shot. Each one last about 3 to 3.5 hours per charge continuous shooting with LCD on. It's been 2 years now and I can say the batteries are still holding charge very well. I'm very happy with the result. Best is, it's way cheaper than the original Canon brand.

Bill Busby July 15th, 2009 11:51 PM

I bought one of these from Taky about a year ago and I've had zero problems. I consistently get around 4 hrs per full charge, PLUS they fit like they should.

Marc Theiler July 16th, 2009 01:12 PM

Thanks

Thanks,

I ordered 3 today.

Stephen F. Bodi August 19th, 2009 10:56 PM

my 2 cents

I just recently joined the forums here. I haven't read through the entire battery forum thread so I don't know if someone else mentioned this . I buy batteries from batteryvalues.com they have pretty good prices on high quality off brand batteries .

Colin McDonald September 22nd, 2009 10:08 AM

Original 2006 batteries still going strong?

Anyone who got their XH-A1 in 2006 care to comment on how the original Canon batteries are bearing up? I haven't noticed any dropoff in performance of mine yet (nearly two years) but I have a BP-970G in addition to the supplied one, and have a limited number of charge cycles. When do you think replacement will be required (and I'll fix a mortgage to get another Canon BP-970G).

Taky Cheung September 22nd, 2009 10:14 AM

I have been using the 4 third party BP-970G that I am selling since 2007 (using GL2). L.A. Color Shop | BP-970G Canon Compatible High Capacity Battery Consider I have about 30 to 40 weddings a year. They still hold charger very well. The Canon brand BP-970G is just way too expensive.

Bill Pryor September 22nd, 2009 10:25 AM

I got mine in 2006 and bought a second battery a few months later, same smaller one as the original. Both are still in perfect condition with no apparent dropoff in shelf life or service time.

Colin McDonald September 22nd, 2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1384564)
The Canon brand BP-970G is just way too expensive.

Nonsense, my boy. Just look at this great deal from Samuel King "Intelligent IT Solutions":

Quote:

Manufacturer: Canon
Manufacturer Part # 0972B002AA

£386.23 inc VAT
£335.85 exc VAT
(335.85 British pounds sterling = 544.24 US dollars)

:-)

Hameed Aabid April 12th, 2010 01:15 AM

Yesterday I went to Michaels on Elizebeth street in Melbourne to get some pricing on batteries. They quote me some ridiculous amount for BP-950. Over 250.

Is there any problem with a replacement batteries? I found some for AU$50 or so on online shops.

Taky Cheung April 12th, 2010 08:51 AM

There're some generic brand batteries that are made with recycled cell. I have read some people also reported battery exploded or melted inside the camera. The BP-970G battery that we have are made with high quality battery cell. I myself am using them for my Xh-A1 for the last 3 years. They still hold charge and works well.

Hameed Aabid April 12th, 2010 06:14 PM

^ Postage to Australia for 1lbs is US$28.00 + the battery US$42.00. This totals to about AU$75.50.

I might order it from you, Takky. At least I know your staff is decent. There is no guarantee with these other online shops... the $28 shipping fee is the killer here... I think I can live with $10 difference... Besides, the one I can get here is only 6600mAh. I'd be glad if you manage to ship it asap once the order goes through. thanks

Edit: Just purchased one and chose "express international" shipping method $32. I have an engagement party to video on 25th. Last time I recharged my battery at dinner time... and used one camera only for about an hour....

Taky Cheung April 12th, 2010 07:12 PM

Thanks for ordering from us. We'll be shipping out the battery to you tmrw.

Kelly Olsen August 2nd, 2011 06:24 PM

Re: Canon XH batteries / battery thread

I bought one of the larger capacity batteries for my A1s from Taky and it seems so far to be a great battery with very long life. Plus his service was fantastic. I had the battery in under 36 hours.