Portabrace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Portabrace

Anyone know if they have a tray for the A1 yet? thanks
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Major Player

I know its old, but it came up in a search and I'm wondering the same thing

I found a case that looks like it should work. Anyone using this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=375658&is=REG
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using the Porta Brace DVO-1U bag for my Canon XH-A1.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Any change you could post a picture with the camera in the bag? I'm interested to see how well it fits
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Portabrace has essentially two options for the XH-A1. The DVO-1U will hold the camera in the main compartment with a little room left for accessories. There is a zippered pocket inside, one large pocket on each end, several smaller pockets and two padded bags and a white card are included. I have this bag for my A1 (with J-rod/shotgun, Sony eyecup and wireless receiver on the cold shoe attached). In addition, I have room for 10 tapes, the lavaliere transmitter and mic, the stock charger, AC cord and A/V cables, am extra large capacity battery, remote, a Samson Zoom H4 field recorder and the various pens, markers, lens cleaner, head cleaner, extra filter, mini flashlight, SD cards, etc. This bag is approved as an airline carry-on.

If you don't need an airplane carry-on (or want to take the chance with an oversize), the DVO-2U has a lot more pockets and interior space.

I loaned my A1 to Portabrace last year, so I know these bags provide the correct fit. There is an interior adjustable cradle with straps to secure the camera and all sides of the bags are rigid.
Bill Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Doyle
Portabrace has essentially two options for the XH-A1. The DVO-1U will hold the camera in the main compartment with a little room left for accessories. There is a zippered pocket inside, one large pocket on each end, several smaller pockets and two padded bags and a white card are included. I have this bag for my A1 (with J-rod/shotgun, Sony eyecup and wireless receiver on the cold shoe attached). In addition, I have room for 10 tapes, the lavaliere transmitter and mic, the stock charger, AC cord and A/V cables, am extra large capacity battery, remote, a Samson Zoom H4 field recorder and the various pens, markers, lens cleaner, head cleaner, extra filter, mini flashlight, SD cards, etc. This bag is approved as an airline carry-on.

If you don't need an airplane carry-on (or want to take the chance with an oversize), the DVO-2U has a lot more pockets and interior space.

I loaned my A1 to Portabrace last year, so I know these bags provide the correct fit. There is an interior adjustable cradle with straps to secure the camera and all sides of the bags are rigid.
The Porta Brace is a very nice bag, but the DVO-1U leave very little room on the left and right inside the bag once the Canon A1 is strap down. But you do have 2 outer pockets on the side to put your accessories. Everything Bill wrote is correct and Bill configuration is basically the same as mine, I just don't have a wireless at this moment.
Anthony Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
New Boot

I just purchased the PortaBrace DV3U bag from B&H and I'm sending it back to exchange for a Petrol camera bag (PCCB-2N). I use a Petrol bag for my Sony A1U and while I think the build quality of the PortaBrace and Petrol bags are on par with one another, I like the design of the Petrol bags better. My problem with the PortaBrace bag was one, it was dirty inside when I received it. Some judicious use of my vacuum fixed that but I think on a high end bag it's not acceptable. The Petrol bag was clean as a whistle when I received it. Two, the camera cradle doesn't fit the Canon A1 very well, it's stiff and causes the camera to sit diagonal in the bag. It's adjustable but it just didn't seem to fit my camera right. Just a personal preference, others might not see it as a problem. The Petrol inserts are soft and pliable and you can velcro them into just about any configuration you want. Only thing is I wish Petrol sold the inserts as a separate item because there are alot of possible configurations and I wouldn't mind a spare one with the bag. Portabrace includes a spare case/pocket/sack whatever you want to call it, for accessories. It can be velcroed into the case or used as a small stand-alone bag. With the A1 in there, there is not really enough room for it so it's just an extra bag. The camera fits fine in the bag, but takes up most of the main compartment. There are plenty of pockets for accessories. I noticed the suede on the PortaBrace handles was flaking a little bit and this gets into the bag and on the camera. This would probably go away as the handles are broken in but again I don't think a high end bag should be doing that. There are some other small touches to the Petrol bag that I like over the PortaBrace bag. Petrol put feet on the bottom so the bag doesn't sit right on the ground. Keeps it cleaner, less prone to moisture damage, and the bottom of the bag won't wear out as fast. The PortaBrace doesn't have these, so the bottom of the bag sits right against the ground. Didn't mean this to be a review of Petrol vs. PortaBrace but I wanted to throw in my two cents as I had a hard time finding any info on bags for the A1. Keep in mind all of this is subjective opinion and I think the Portabrace is a well made bag. I know people who swear by them and there is a reason. I just happen to like the Petrol better. Hope this helps.
Ray Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Are these soft cases from portabrace good enough for preventing the camera from getting broken if the bag is dropped with the camera inside ? Or would a hard case (metal case) be better?
Adrian Paul Spiteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Major Player

I used a PortaBrace CTC-3 for my old XL1s, but I wouldn't trust the camera to work after dropping it at all. They're just soft cases, I don't think it would handle an impact quite like a Pelican or similar would.

Thank you all for the info, I've never looked into the Petrol bag Ray, but I'll definitely check it out. I've always been a fan of PortaBrace, but there's always time for change. I used to be a Sony-only, and now I prefer Canon....
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Ray, did your set come with the PMH-1 Mini-hood? I noticed that was included when you buy from B&H. I was wondering if this hood fit the A1's LCD and if it was useful at all?
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Major Player

I bought a Petrel PCCB1 for the XH-A1, which is a very good fit for the camera, sturdy and well made. The design is perhaps not the most weather proof, with two zips along the top. There is a more expensive version with a lid that overlaps all round the edge.

However, I often walk a few miles in the course of a day's filming and would much prefer to carry the camera in a backpack than just slung over one shoulder. Has anyone found a rucksack-style bag to fit the XH-A1 yet? I have a LowePro Orion Trecker, but the XH-A1 only just fits in the padded compartment with the lens hood off, and besides, the padding is not very substantial. Has anyone used Luggy bags (made by Libec, I think)? If so, any comments? Their LY13L9M rucksack looks about the right sort of size and shape.

TIA
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #12
New Boot

Nick, I haven't received the new Petrol bag yet so I can't tell you if the included lcd hood fits the A1 or not. Once I get it I will give it a shot. My guess is it won't as I think the hood is designed for 2.5" screens. The first Petrol bag I bought was the smaller PMCCB-1 and it came with a hood designed specifically for the Sony HVR-A1U 2.7" screen. That is a closer match to the Canon lcd in terms of size but the odd shape of the Canon lcd may an issue. I never used it with my Sony as the camera uses a touch screen and a hood would only be a nuisance. If I can find it I will try it with the Canon and report back.

In response to Mark's posting, Petrol apparently has an add-on that turns their cases into a backpack. You can see it at the Petrol website. It doesn't look very elegant to me but if you don't want to buy two bags it may be a solution. A dedicated backpack would look better and probably be more functional.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Thomas
Nick, I haven't received the new Petrol bag yet so I can't tell you if the included lcd hood fits the A1 or not. Once I get it I will give it a shot.
No worries there... I went ahead and ordered the Petrol bag. I figured since I'm getting it from B&H I'll just return it if I don't like it or something... but from all the info I could find on here and the Internet I think it will be just fine.

Thanks anyway for the info. I'll try and remember to post my experience in this forum or something once I get the bag.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #14
New Boot

I know this started out as camera bag thread but I thought I would give an update on the Petrol lcd hood. Tried the PMH-A1U lcd hood and the odd shape of the Canon A1 lcd doesn't allow a correct fit. The elastic bands that hold it to the lcd are very tight and they wont fit over the A1 lcd where it interfaces to the camera body. Doubtful that the other Petrol hood would work either. There is another thread on this board regarding lcd hoods and Hoodman makes one that seems to work.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:06 PM   #15
Major Player

If a Z1 will fit...

On the basis that the Z1 is only slightly larger than the XH-A1 and has been around for a couple of years, I did a quick search in it's forum for threads about bags and cases, to see what's popular over there. I turned up this one: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=39573. It's even a sticky! I've not read it yet...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders