XH Upgrade Wishlist Poll v1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

View Poll Results: Which four (4) features should be added to the XH series camcorders?
OIS On / Off mappable to Custom Key 118 51.75%
XLR On / Off mappable to Custom Key 61 26.75%
Default Shutter speed in 25F of 1/50th 24 10.53%
Additional Shutter speeds (1/33rd and/or 1/40th) 21 9.21%
Option to display Shutter values in degrees 3 1.32%
Preset maximum Gain value for AGC 48 21.05%
Add intermediate steps in Gain (+9db, +15db) 46 20.18%
F. Asst. Mag. on displays / analog out during Rec. 26 11.40%
Allow Peaking and Zebra together 95 41.67%
Customize Peaking color and intensity 35 15.35%
Flip image in viewfinders (and maybe to tape, outputs) 63 27.63%
Move AE Shift function from menu to iris ring 26 11.40%
Histogram On / Off for Video (record and playback) 49 21.49%
Display active C. Preset name (record and playback) 55 24.12%
Display lens info (focus and zoom) on playback 18 7.89%
Display remaining battery time in real minutes 72 31.58%
Function setting for Long Push of "End Play" button 2 0.88%
Soft clipping / limiter in Manual Audio mode 63 27.63%
Allow digital zoom in Standard Definition recording 5 2.19%
Option: AF off during zoom (prevent focus pulsing) 59 25.88%
Photo buttons as optional Custom Keys 16 7.02%
Slower speeds for Focus Position preset transitions 44 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM   #31
Contributor

Awesome! (as long as you put in a note that the slow focus option SHOULD have more responses:))
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:29 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Go! Soft clipping... Come on soft clipping...
yea, what he said! :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #33
Inner Circle

edited....

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; February 4th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM   #34
Inner Circle

edited ....

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; February 4th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #35
Major Player

Anyone else get the feeling of being at a horse race? :D

*edit* a slowwwwwwww one?
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I am more than happy to put the final poll results into the hands of the Canon USA product development manager personally ...
That sounds promising, thank you, Chris.
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #37
Major Player

I find myself using -3db gain when outside all the time, makes for a great picture, but sometimes I will use 6db or 12db in low light, but still need the 0db! It's a pain to go through the menus and change these options all the time.

Since the gain switch has 3 settings, why not make a custom key mappable to a particular gain setting? Or maybe the photo button, or exp. lock button?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks

Since the gain switch has 3 settings, why not make a custom key mappable to a particular gain setting? Or maybe the photo button, or exp. lock button?
Geez, this is a great one, could've used something like it this week.

Hey Chris, want to add this and give everyone one more vote? :)

Guess it'll have to wait for next time 'round. Or Maybe the A2 should be covered in custom buttons, dozens of 'em.
Stu Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #39
Major Player

Something I just thought of, & I realize it's too late poll wise... but the idea of at least having a "shift" function for 2 additional Custom Keys would be nice to have. Such as pushing the 'set on the selection wheel' while selecting a CK button would enable CK's 1 & 2 to act as CK's 3 & 4. This can easily be done with one hand.

Seriously... 2 is NOT enough (Z1 has 6 I believe... right?) & this method makes much more sense than trying to "map" other buttons (photo, etc.) which would be more confusing.

Just my thought of the day.

Bill
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Bill, you're absolutely right that 2 custom keys isn't enough - but we're talking firmawere upgrade here:). Besides, without any changes in hardware, I believe those 2 buttons could be getting much better use of, should more important functions be assigneable to them.

Also, unless I'm missing something, there is a button that could easily become the 3rd custom one: the custom preset on/off button. Really, using the custom preset select button would be enough, cycling through all presets INCLUDING the "off" position; whatever is selected with it could simply be activated, without the need for the on/off button!

Well, dreaming is nice - but for all this, we'll probably need to pay for a compeletely new model!
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #41
Major Player

I have voted for:
- Move AE Shift function from menu to iris ring: I use auto modes quite a lot, and going through the menu to adjust this is a pain. I guess the iris ring is the right place for Auto and Tv modes, but it would have to be the shutter dial in Av mode.

- Display active C. Preset name (record and playback): I only have two CPs set up at the moment, so I can remember what they are, but if I ever go beyond 4, or start tinkering with them, it will be a bit of a lottery. Also, at the moment I'm "back announcing" the settings I've used at the end of the shot - when I remember. But I don't always...

- Soft clipping / limiter in Manual Audio mode: you never really know how loud a steam engine is going to be, so I normally make do with auto-level. If I knew I could trust a limiter when the saftey valves lift or the whistle is blown, I could manual levels.

- OIS On / Off mappable to Custom Key. This won over "Allow Peaking and Zebra together" and "Preset maximum Gain value for AGC", but only just.

Looking forward to the XH-A2 or XM3-HD...

I spent Saturday before last at the Great Central Railway in Leicestershire. Most of the day, I shot at 0db, and swapped between ND settings, just to see what happened. However, for the last few shots of the day, as dusk was falling, I really needed a dial so that I could pick any gain setting, rather than delving into the menu to reprogram the switch. I was deliberately underexposing, to exagerate the effect of the station lights, but even so...
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Bill, you're absolutely right that 2 custom keys isn't enough - but we're talking firmawere upgrade here:)...... Also, unless I'm missing something, there is a button that could easily become the 3rd custom one: the custom preset on/off button.
Piotr, my suggestion would give us TWO more Custom Keys (and mapped to where it makes more logical sense) as opposed to your mere ONE extra :) Think about it. Put your thumb on the menu wheel... press inward, like you would to select something... while holding that in, press Custom Key 1 (in this scenario that would "shift" Custom Key 1 to being a Custom Key 3. Do the same for Custom Key 2... which would shift to become a Custom Key 4.

I would think this would be very easy to implement in firmware, but this idea of mine didn't make the cut, due to my brain not thinking of it from the getgo.

Unless... ummm... Chris wants to ummm... ahemmm... add it to the poll results he hands off to Canon :D

Bill
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Bill, I do understand your brilliant idea - but with additional custom key (and the silly cp on/off button could easily become one, with the activating/deactivating a chosen preset moved to the cp select button), it would make 3x2=6 custom keys!

But again, the number of assignable functions would also have to be increased to actually benefit from that many custom keys (OIS on/off, XLR on/off being the most important to include).

And the beauty of this idea is that it could be done in firmware - no additional hardware needed. I bet some brilliant Russian hackers are already working on this:)
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #44
Major Player

I agree with the CP on/off button. It's a silly design being to get rid of the flashing indicator you still have to scroll through presets to the CP OFF icon.

I was never too hip with the XLR on/off suggestion for the poll. I mean, how long does it actually take to dig into the Audio Setup menu & make that change? 10 secs? Also the possibility of accidentally touching the Key button & not knowing it could spell disaster.

Currently I have my 2 CK buttons setup as Key 1=VCR STOP (being in a predominantly run & gun biz, there's a lot of waiting & waiting) & Key2=CP BKWD KEY. OIS if implemented would be my 3rd selection. Not sure what my 4th would be yet.

It's all relative anyway. None of us know if anything will come of this :-\

Bill
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Bill, I must tell you that after a couple of iterations, I've also settled with those 2 functions assigned (the CP BKWD KEY I adopted after downloading all 18 presets from Chris). And also like yours, my third favourite would most certainly be the OIS on/off. With the XLR on/off - well I don't quite agree it's not needed, but of course it can depend on the microphone setup you're using, and the specifics of a recorded project. Sometimes you need to catch the ambient sound with on-board stereo, and when suddenly your talent starts speaking again, you'd like to quickly switch to the XLR shotgun or wireless.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders