XH Upgrade Wishlist Poll v1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

View Poll Results: Which four (4) features should be added to the XH series camcorders?
OIS On / Off mappable to Custom Key 118 51.75%
XLR On / Off mappable to Custom Key 61 26.75%
Default Shutter speed in 25F of 1/50th 24 10.53%
Additional Shutter speeds (1/33rd and/or 1/40th) 21 9.21%
Option to display Shutter values in degrees 3 1.32%
Preset maximum Gain value for AGC 48 21.05%
Add intermediate steps in Gain (+9db, +15db) 46 20.18%
F. Asst. Mag. on displays / analog out during Rec. 26 11.40%
Allow Peaking and Zebra together 95 41.67%
Customize Peaking color and intensity 35 15.35%
Flip image in viewfinders (and maybe to tape, outputs) 63 27.63%
Move AE Shift function from menu to iris ring 26 11.40%
Histogram On / Off for Video (record and playback) 49 21.49%
Display active C. Preset name (record and playback) 55 24.12%
Display lens info (focus and zoom) on playback 18 7.89%
Display remaining battery time in real minutes 72 31.58%
Function setting for Long Push of "End Play" button 2 0.88%
Soft clipping / limiter in Manual Audio mode 63 27.63%
Allow digital zoom in Standard Definition recording 5 2.19%
Option: AF off during zoom (prevent focus pulsing) 59 25.88%
Photo buttons as optional Custom Keys 16 7.02%
Slower speeds for Focus Position preset transitions 44 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #61
Major Player

manual focus while zooming

I was a little concerned that the A1 does not allow any sort of manual focusing while simultaneously zooming. It's funny though because assuming all the manual dials are servo mechanisms the A1 will zoom and change it's aperture simultaneously so why not zoom and focus?

That would be a feature to add in my opinion.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #62
Trustee

This is a feature the XLH1 is afflicted with as well. Someone in the Canon
Organization let this design flaw go by and it keeps popping up. Apparently they have only one mechanisim to control zoom and focus and when one is trying to use manual focus you are not actually adjusting the lens but the mechanism is. When you are zooming it is already busy so you can't focus and vice versa.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #63
Obstreperous Rex

All digital video camcorders using auto-servo lenses work like this. It's not a Canon thing.

The only manufacturer that lets you zoom and focus at the same time is Panasonic, and only on a couple of models.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #64
Trustee

Well Hooray for Panasonic since they have figured out how to make Auto Focus and Manual focus work on the same lens. As far as I can tell there are only four manufacturers in this part of the market. Sony, JVC, Panasonic and Canon.
Canon had more than a few years to see what Panasonic did with similarly priced cameras and dropped the ball. I don't know of any video/ filmmaker who would want the Canon Focus Zoom lens design compared to the Panasonic one in this instance.
It doesn't mean the overall package is bad but it is one of the least professional aspects of the Canon cameras.
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein
Well Hooray for Panasonic since they have figured out how to make Auto Focus and Manual focus work on the same lens. As far as I can tell there are only four manufacturers in this part of the market. Sony, JVC, Panasonic and Canon.
Canon had more than a few years to see what Panasonic did with similarly priced cameras and dropped the ball. I don't know of any video/ filmmaker who would want the Canon Focus Zoom lens design compared to the Panasonic one in this instance.
It doesn't mean the overall package is bad but it is one of the least professional aspects of the Canon cameras.
It's not about figuring out how to do it, it is a matter of cost, size and weight. Besides most pros would not be trying to zoom and focus simultaneously. I think even with a separate motor for both, that any camera would have a difficult time using its autofocus while zooming, except maybe while on a tripod and rock steady. Would that be correct Chris?

With the lens adjusted correctly, you would stay in focus while zooming anyway.

Mike
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #66
Major Player

Catagorically, the Sony FX1 and Z1 CAN zoom and focus at the same time.

Canon A1 will autofocus and zoom at the same time, but no manual focus and zoom.

There are two types of shots where simultanious zoom & focus is needed - dolly zooms (the "vertigo" effect); and the travel show standard - a zoom pull focus from a scenic background to a foreground presenter.
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #67
Major Player

ding! ding! ding! zoom/pull focus...my original concern all along about the focusing issue. As for being able to autofocus while zooming I think it's not what you may think.... I have tried very slow zooms with autofocus engaged and it does not seem to update focus until after the zoom has stopped.

I'm certainly not suggesting that this shortcoming will come up often....these shots are not often used but still....it's like.....come on?

So if a firmware were to allow this to happen THAT would top my list for updates. Then everything else....
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith
Catagorically, the Sony FX1 and Z1 CAN zoom and focus at the same time.

Canon A1 will autofocus and zoom at the same time, but no manual focus and zoom.
So does that leave Canon as the only manufacturer at this level which doesn't allow you to manually focus and zoom at the same time?

As for when this is useful try shooting a live event where you are constantly following action and reframing.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #69
Major Player

another one ...

you can try give option "LCD color and VCF without color together" :-) , thanks.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #70
Wrangler

Wow Chris where's the "all of the above". Some of these things I didn't even know the camera couldn't do in it's current state. I'm still trying to learn it.

It's my first Canon camera since I started out in video. I switched early on from a GL-1/XL-1s combo for a VX2100/PD170 combo for low light performance (weddings).

So far I'm very impressed with the A1 so far.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #71
Major Player

Ok, so these conversations are good, but let's get back to the question at hand:

IS CANON COMMING OUT WITH A FIRMWARE UPDATE OR NOT?
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #72
Major Player

Histogram

I would like the option of four separate histograms (R, G, B, and luminance) or one combined. And the option of large or small.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #73
Regular Crew

I would like to be able to select the Custom Preset 'by name' in the menu and activate it at that point, rather then having to remember what number it was assigned to and then use the silly buttons on the side.
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Garvey View Post
I would like to be able to select the Custom Preset 'by name' in the menu and activate it at that point, rather then having to remember what number it was assigned to and then use the silly buttons on the side.
Or better still - have just one button (assigning something more important to the other), and be able to cycle with it through all presets including OFF and displaying their names (not just numbers) on the LCD/VF.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #75
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Garvey View Post
That's why we offered "Display active C. Preset name (record and playback)" as one of the poll options, but really I don't think activating a preset should be buried in the menu. The last thing I want to do when calling up a preset is to open the menu and dig for it. The buttons on the side make much more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Or better still - have just one button (assigning something more important to the other), and be able to cycle with it through all presets including OFF and displaying their names (not just numbers) on the LCD/VF.
No, you really do need two buttons; one to cycle and one for on / off. If I want to turn on a preset, or turn it off, I want a dedicated button for that. I don't want to cycle through a bunch of presets just to find the "off" setting. The way it's set up right now makes sense, with the exception of the blinking "CP Off" for a few seconds, which takes some getting used to. Even better is the ability of the Custom Key #2 to works as a "CP Backward" button. That three-button combination is very easy to work with: scroll backward, on / off, scroll forward.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders