Problem Please help. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks again Eric, and Steve, Just did a third hour and no problems...!!..another non related question. When capturing a still to the memory card the res is higher than a capture from the tape at a later time, correct.???
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Major Player

I am sure that most cameras have run a tape to be tested in factory. In that case maybe they used a different tape with different tape lubricant. That could cause your tape to clog up your camera.

Did you run the tape cleaner before you used the camera? Did you run a full tape and checked it before doing a paying job?

That was always recommended with DV cameras. Did I do it? Of course not.

Another question. Have you ran a tape cleaner after you had a drop out?

I once had a tape record the same image for a half hour. The good thing is that I was also using a switcher and recording to another tape.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Major Player

I have another question.

There is a new thread with basically the same problem.

Did you use the Canon tape that comes included with the camera?

It seems like you get this drop out after running Panasonic tapes after a while. I have used Panasonic tapes for over 10 years so I know it is not a bad tape. Knowing that mixing tapes causes this problems I have to assume that the tapes that Canon used are not compatible with Panasonic.

I have only ran 2 tapes on my camera so I am going to run to play the cleaning tape before my camera clogs up in the middle of a job.
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #19
Regular Crew

i started another thread with what might be disimilar problem..but will give it a shot here. i use the new PANASONIC AY-DVM63AMQ MASTER MINIDV TAPES and have good success, until the seventh tape. saw a 'clean head' warning light, although the camera was recording (parent on hummingbird nest). rewound tape to see if it could be replayed...and low and behold the replay was stuck, then stuttered, then played, then skipped. couldnt believe it. stuck in another new tape and everything was fine...no 'clean tape heads' message and replay was fine. checked the tape out with glazers camera in seattle, and they had the same problem, their canon xh a1 could not replay the mid section of the tape, where i had the error message. the first 25 minutes could be played back, after that disaster with the stuttering, then blue screen. it recorded, but will not play back mid tape. i popped in another pan. amq and everything worked fine. i only use panasonic tapes, did not cross over to any other brand. i doubt this is a drop out? or a tape mechanism problem?

just a warning, carry extra tapes. i have used panasonic for years and really am frustrated with the first cassette problem. and it has very hard to get footage. any suggestions on what to do? bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for all of the info. In the past 8 yrs. I've shot with a sony DSR-300 and two GL-1's never had any problems, tape nor cameras. The canons were used in temps of 115 here in Arizona for outdoor weddings and not a problem, used only Sony Excellence tapes, with the new canons, I did a ten minute test on cam one with the tape that came with the camera but only ran the pana 63MQ's with the camera that had the problems. Over the past two days I ran four new Pana tapes with zero dropouts or whatever. So for now I feel pretty good about things. No new news is good news, thanks all again. Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders