Where to learn about Zebra Stripes, Peaking, etc at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 28th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Where to learn about Zebra Stripes, Peaking, etc

Being fairly new to the video world, I am learning very much as I gain more and more experience behind the lens. However, there are certain features to my A1 that leave me a bit baffled as to how to use them correctly.... most notably, the zebra stripes for instance. While I have a basic understanding of their purpose, and have heard various suggestions on their use and what to look for, I am still very apprehensive about the specifics of this tool and not too sure if I'm up to snuff to know what it is I am seeing with the Zebra stripes and if it all looks correct on the LCD.

Is there a book out there that goes into depth about such features for someone like myself? And I don't want to limit it to just Zebras either... I'd like to learn in depth about how to use many of the advanced features on my A1.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Major Player

I pasted these into another thread recently - they discuss zebra stuff specifically

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70332

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93024

There are a couple of training videos out with mixed reviews. Check in this section for the threads on those - the VAAST video is one I think, and can't recall the other one but both are discussed here. Some people found them quite helpful.

A good book on video/film techniques in general is also a great way to get started. But that won't be A1 specific. I purchased Video Shooter: Storytelling with DV, HD, and HDV Cameras, it was a good entry level guide on shooting and storytelling with these types of cameras.

For A1 specific, this area is an excellent resource, just use the search tool to find out about the various options on the A1.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders