XL2 first real life impression - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:11 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I love this nighttime stuff too. Its very great. I can not avait to put my 8 year old XL-1 down and buy the XL-2.

@Josh Bass:

No the 16x lens is not wider (16x lens 43.1mm and new 20x lens 42.3mm in 16:9 Modus).

regards
Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Josh.
Sorry the XL2 is back at Canon

Johnnie
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:48 AM   #18
Regular Crew

@Johnnie:

Was it hard for you to send it back? ;)

regards
Daniel
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:46 AM   #19

Very nice footage! That make's me even more excited about the XL2. Thanks for posting that, Johnnie!

By the way, where was that shot? What a beautiful city!!!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:05 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Jay!

Vienna/Austria by night...

Johnnie
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:43 AM   #21
Major Player

Beautiful, I thought it was very film like, I am usually the pessimist, but that was awesome. In fact I kept waiting for dialougue!!
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM   #22

I have to commend Johnnie Behri for the excellent impromptu footage he has outputted so efficiently during his very brief encounter with the new XL2. ESPECIALLY all of the *handheld* footage Johnnie acquired which looks like he did indeed use a tripod. Johnnie, you did a wonderful job at capturing the essence of your surroundings in Vienna. Watching your images makes me want to drop what I am doing and take a long hiatus in Austria (something I have been longing to do for quite some time). Now, how about some images from St. Anton am Arlberg? That I would like to see.

I think that some people may be missing the point here as to what has proven to be a truly tangible example of many of the strengths of the new XL2. People should give more kudos to Johnnie's committed, experimentive attitude in actually going out there (rather than sitting back at home in front of the comp) and actually coming back with something worthwhile - all in a very short time without any pre-production planning or crew. Johnnie's footage just goes to show everyone that you do not always need a $25,000 budget and a crew of five people just to shoot some outstanding b-roll. It certainly does help to shoot with an XL2 though! I think it speaks more and very highly of the XL2 that this footage was produced as it was, rather than by some elite DV producer with a plethora of equipment at his/ her disposal. Just a very good example of what *everyone* should expect when they do get the chance to shoot with the new XL2.

Bravo and thank you to Johnnie and Jarred for the open-minded comparison between the DVX and XL2.

P.S.: Looks like I may be going to IBC this year, will you be going? If so, please do send me a note to let me know. Should be a guaranteed good time for all.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM   #23
Regular Crew

@Johnnie:

Which gain-position you use to shoot the night-stuff?

regards
Daniel
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM   #24
Regular Crew

he used +3
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Don,
Thank you for your kind words!
I always follow the rule "if you love what you do it shows".
Unfortunately (fortunately) to much work ahead,so I can not visit IBC.

And a little secret (just between us) tomorrow I shot in Southampton-England with my DVX100E,and as much as I love the camera I wish I could have the XL2 for a day more...

As you wrote,without the help of Jarred I could have not made it.
And if you drop what you doing and come over,I am here.

Daniel,
All night shots 3200k preset
1/50 o db
From 2:11 1/25 +3 db
Last shot Just for fun,18 db

Thank you all

Johnnie
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:41 PM   #26
DVX User

Thanx Don... I know alot of people expected me to rip the XL2 apart, God How dare I allow XL2 footage on DVXUser.com??? hehe heh... thank god Im not that kinda guy and its not that kinda forum.

Fact is, Johnnie was so incredible during this whole process and his footage was framed and shot so well, that after the night stuff I was very impressed with what came out of the XL2. Not to say Im gonna sell all of my DVX's, Im just glad that there is now finally some competition to the DVX.. and DVXa... I am sure Panasonic will step up to the plate.

I am very thankful Johnnie has taken the time to do this for all of us, I am sure it answered alot of questions for alot of people. Specially since all the other XL2 footage has been such garbage.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:03 PM   #27
Contributor

Excellent info!
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:17 PM   #28
Trustee

anybody have towels to clean up my drool?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:29 PM   #29
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Yi Fong Yu : anybody have towels to clean up my drool? -->>>

No, I just ran out. If I watch that clip again, I'm going to need a mop.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:03 PM   #30
Trustee

I don't know if the xl2 rig I was looking at on DVX user (that's something I thought I'd bnever say)was in fact the same one johnnie was using or not but I think he made mention of having a brick on the back of it and the one in the photo looked like an anton bauer brick, I was wondering if that was in fact the same adapter as the xl1 used to use or if it was something different entirely?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders