24p questions - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #256
Major Player

when you export the video, its nothin but 24 fps trying to be 30fps which is really bad.

This is what I'm concerned about. If I edit at 30p and then export will the footage look "really bad?" So, for the time being should I just edit at 30fps or 60i? please someone help! I need to know really soon. I don't want to start a film at 24 and then have to change or visa versa.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #257
Major Player

In AP 6.5 of what you have; it only allows you edit in the NSTC standard(their are no seperate 60i and 30p timelines, it just depends on how you should export the finish viedo), which is 29.97 fps. 60i is 29.97 fps and so is 30p; the only difference is that 30p is almost true 30fps because its progressive and 60i is like putting two frames together to make one, becuase its interlaced, so the overall frame rate is 29.97 fps. It is completley usless to edit a 24p movie and have the finish product be the wacked out 24p in the 29.97 fps setting. The 24p frame rates trying to be 30fps will not mess your video quality up, but the motion will be wack because when you insert a 24p video into a 29.97 timeline, every third or second frame will be repeated; because its 24 trying to be 30, so it has extra frames to make up the difference. If i were you, i would just film in 30p, and export in a "no fields" or progressive mode (interlace videos you usually have it set on "lower fields first" when exporting); becuase your videos are never going to be 24 fps unless you get premiere pro 1.5, FCP, Avid or vegas. and then after that you still need authorization tools (dvd burning software) that can handle the 24fps footage.
Wes Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:41 PM   #258
Regular Crew

to 24p or not to 24p (for plasma display)

Ok, question #2--
Are plasma screens progressive scan or interlace? I'm producing something that will end up on plasmas, and am thinking that shooting in 24p is the correct answer. Can anyone confirm that plasmas are progressive scan?
Thanks!
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM   #259
RED Problem Solver

They're progressive. 24p should work fine, and if you're making a 24p DVD should look great.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM   #260
Regular Crew

Thanks so much.
This forum is great!
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:37 PM   #261
New Boot

24p...why so "strobey"

Why does 24p seem so "stobe like" or jumpy on the xl2?
Grant Carden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:49 PM   #262
Obstreperous Rex

Because it's 24p. Seriously, if you require silky-smooth video, that's what 60i is for. 24p can appear to strobe if you're not careful; you must be very careful with your camera movements (pan slowly). 24p is a particular kind of look... if you don't like it, don't use it... 30p is sort of a compromise, be sure to try it out. Choose the frame rate that best suits what you're doing.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #263
Major Player

Most people have their 24p shutter speed fixed on 1/48, because this is what actual film cameras use most of the time. If you have a higher shutter speed, that can also cause your video to look much more strobe like.
Wes Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #264
Regular Crew

tru, i set my shutter to 1/24th because 1/48th is too stroby to me, 1/24th is much smoother, more film-like if you ask me.

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #265
Major Player

Thanks Wes! I've been away and just got back to read your reply. What about the 60interlaced? couldn't I use that and export at 29.97? My other question is: I have a dvd recorder which I've been using for back up onto dvdr's as well as final output. If I use the 24p option, when I get FCP that is, will I be able to export the footage to the dvd recorder? Thanks Wes!
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #266
Major Player

Yes about the 60i interlaced. But please dont get confused about the number 60, in the case of 60 interlaced frames, the frame rate is 29.97 fps. Its kinda hard to understand because it does actually take 60 frames persecond; but it combines 2 frames to make one, so it ends up bieng 30; this is where you here about people talking about horizontal video lines that you may see during fast motion, and that is caused by the interlaced frames; and then they will talk about ways to deinterlace the frames, which would be like 30p in a way. when you export interlaced videos, you usaully choose to export the lower field first, when compared the progressive, all you want to do is export no fields or progressive mode. I dont know much about fcp, but i would love to get a mac and get it; but people do tons of film work and 24p work on that so you should not have a problem. Im not sure about the DVD features, but ill bet it has one that will work fine when exporting your 24p project. you will most likley have to change some settings before you export it, so ask some more question to be well informed.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #267
Major Player

24p or 60i for display on HD-TV?

Is it better to shoot with 24p (or 30p) for a final product to be shown on a 720p television? Or will it still have that jittery motion quality?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #268
Tourist

Those damn LCDs...

Great work... It's very tricky judging exposure of the LCD monitors... especially if they are not calibrated correctly. Adorable kid! And again thanks for the footage online!
Bruce Francis Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #269
Major Player

It's all very nice until you get to the shot of the girl with the pumpkin. We can't see her face - surely it shouldn't be in the shadow? IMO it makes it look amateurish.

Apart from that it's cool.
Old July 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #270
New Boot

hotrod video...24p, 30p, or 60i

I have been a professional still photographer for about 15 years and recently got an XL2 and am going to be getting into making a how to build a hotrod video and wondered what would be best to shoot in 24p, 30p, or 60i? I seem to like how the 60i looks in test shoots but are there any pluses or minuses to using it if I'm planning on editing it and putting it on dvd and vhs to market eventually. Or should I be shooting it on 24p or 30p? Any help would be very much appreciated. thanks, Doug.
Doug Thron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders