XL2 color LCD viewfinder - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM   #151
Tourist

Check out http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118843366546 It mounts perfectly on the back of the XL2 with the XL2's mounting bracket, weighs about a pound, and is battery powered ~5 hrs. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's worth checking into. It also has image flip and is native 16x9. So far it's worked great for me. About $170
Wesley Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #152
Major Player

Thanks wesley. I have a similar TV by Oslon (7inch, 16:9) but the 234 lines of res do not really lalow for focusing, hence I want an XL2 EVF. I am surprised I can't get one anywhere.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #153
Major Player

Matthew

not sure if this is true for video as well but with still cameras you can order parts from canon. The only issue is that generall you can order them only if you know the part numbers. There are PDF's on the next for all still cameras and lenses with the part numbers and people have no problem buying them.

Did you try to call canon support as well ?

Another option would be a local photo/video store that sells canon or one of the fine dealers that advertise here and sell canon.
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #154
Major Player

I can't find the part number for the EVF and none of my local retailers carry it either... kinda strange. I think we have stumbled into the black-hole of the XL2.... the colour EVF... does it exist? Only time will tell!
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #155
Major Player

have you tried just putting your viewfinder on the right hand side? it might save some trouble. i dont have any problem with shooting on the other side
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #156
Major Player

Hey andrew, I tried that and the flipped-up VF part interferes with the zoom rocker. It also doesn't stay in place very well. Clearly it wasn't designed to do this. I also have a lot fo hand-held experience so switching sides is like throwing it all out the window. I just feel there should be a way to shoulder-mount normally and get the 35mm look. I am willing to spend the cash on an EVF but can't find one. Also, would love to find instructions from someone who has already opened one up... make my job a bit easier
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #157
Inner Circle

Just call Canon and tell them what you want. They'll have the part number, price and everything. I've called and ordered extra cords for charges, battery covers (those little plastic covers that DON'T come with aftermarket batts), lens caps etc.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #158
Major Player

I tried that but they have told me they do not sell directly to the public. Maybe it's just a Canon Canada problem...
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #159
Wrangler

Just wondering if you have tried calling 1-800-OK-CANON. That's the number I called to buy replacement parts for my XL-2 and lenses. The only problem I had was the price, but I was able to get the parts.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #160
Major Player

Hey, thankee Greg, I'll give them a shout. I spent all day on the phone with Canon today and they kept giving me the run-around... this is turning into quite the Saga!
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #161
Major Player

new viewfinder

FS-2000.

Will soon come out.
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #162
Major Player

where did you hear about it? Do you have a link to a page that describes it?
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #163
Major Player

Yes, I too am curious...

FS 2000? Do you mean the FU 2000? The small LCD screen that only fits the XLH1?
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #164
Regular Crew

XL2 viewfinder problem

I got a refurbished(actually looks new) XL2 a few months back when Fed express lost my XL1s sent for repair...while I am very happy with the free replacement, including the 20 x lens, the viewfinder has the annoying habit of slipping downwards, after setting it at eye level to shoot....it just drifts on its own, slowly, but I have to be constantly pushing it back up to my evelevel...has anyone had this happen...and is there any way to tighten it up so it behaves more like the viewfinder on thye XL1s...I will live with it rather than snd it back to Canon, but I would love to fix it myself...Thanks Folks..
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #165
Major Player

Actually, that is simply an issue on the xl2. I find that if you open the EVF, it should stay balanced, but with the eye piece closed, it tilts down slowley, however, when tilted above 45 degrees it stays, and if you have your eye pressed against the cup, it shouldn't go any where.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders