XL2 color LCD viewfinder - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM   #121
Major Player

I feel so slighted.....ha.
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #122
Trustee

Cleaning EVF Lens

In hot and humid Singapore, I managed to get some perspiration on the EVF lens. I was able to clean it up reasonably well using lens tissue and cleaning fluid, however the lens is recessed inside the EVF housing and access is difficult. I would really like to get inside to give it a proper cleaning.

I can remove (and replace) the rubber eye cup no problem, but then there is a plastic housing that looks a bit trickier to deal with. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be easily dismantled (and how to do it)? If not, any other tips for cleaning the EVF lens?

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #123
Tourist

Viewfinder problem with brand new XL2

I just purchased a new XL2 and received it via parcel post yesterday. It's a wonderful piece of kit, but there seems to be something stuck in the viewfinder. Please have a look at some pictures I took at http://canonxl2.shutterfly.com and let me know if you have any ideas on what the problem may be and what I can do to fix it. I need to use the camera this weekend, so sending it back isn't really an option.

Thanks in advance!
Steve Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #124
Major Player

Steve,

Don't get mad for me saying this, I'm really trying to help.

You know that the viewfinder has a button on the bottom that lets you swing the eyepiece optics up and out of the way so that you can view the 2" LCD display in the viewfinder directly.

It looks like a piece of packing tape is still between the viewfinder optics and the viewfinder screen.

If you already confirmed this isn't the case, I apologize, and I can't make out from the pictures what it might be.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #125
Obstreperous Rex

Push the release button on the bottom side of the EVF as Patrick describes, and flip it open. You should be able to pull that thing right out, whatever it is.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:37 PM   #126
Major Player

Unfortunately, it's more complicated. I have the same problem, but as I usually use the flip-up screen it's not a big problem.

At first, I assumed it was some kind of framing aid, but there's no button/switch to activate it! It looks like a metal cutout that swings down in the viewfinder (it's inside the unit, between the lenses).

If anyone could shed some light on how to get it to move
, I'd also be greatly appreciative.
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #127
Tourist

Mine came like that to..

It's sealed between the last two lense's and can't be removed with out taking it apart..

I fixed mine by undoing the 3 srews at the top of the viewfinder and then carefully took out each part till I got to the final lense at the bottom ..It's a t shape bit of plastic with a small adhesive strip on one side and to this day have no clue to where its from..I just removed it and have had no problems since..

15 minutes job done...
Jamie Mullaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #128
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for the updates. In just over a year's worth of XL2 reports, this is the first I've heard of such an issue.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #129
Major Player

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm curious (not having my hands on an XL2 yet), I know the VF flips up, but can the flip up section be removed completely?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #130
Major Player

I also have a new XL2 with the same problem but not as bad as the above posts. The black metal shim has rotated and in the bottom of the viewfinder you can see that the shim is not horizontal.

Assuming so far that it is only being noticed in new camera's, it must be a manufacturing defect.

I will take mine back to Canon next week
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #131
Tourist

Viewfinder Fault

Got my new XL2 today : )
However looking through the viewfinder there seems to be a fault.
It looks like a side piece of the viewfinder has become detached inside the actual viewfinder?
Is this a sealed unit or has anone opened a viewfinder up yet?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v463/a...Viewfinder.jpg
Andrew Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #132
Major Player

There is a metal shim or mask inside the viewfinder that comes lose and moves around, in my case the metal came down in the centre of the picture.

Canon service have ordered a new viewfinder, although they could have glued it back in place, with the high heat and humidity in Hong Kong I insisted that the viewfinder be replaced. The metal appeared after only one week from purchase.

Check earlier threads as I remember somebody had pull the viewfinder apart and repaired it

Good Luck
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #133
Major Player

Checkout this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52021
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #134
Tourist

Thats the exact problem, I might have another go at removing it.
Got scared the first time and quicky put it back together.
Andrew Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #135
New Boot

How to calibrate XL2 viewfinder

Hi...sorry if this may have been posted elsewhere. Just got my XL2 and was wondering how best to set up the viewfinder. Any tips most appreciated
Ian Scanlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders