XL2 color LCD viewfinder - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 10th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #76
Major Player

Yes, you can determine the limit of the 4:3 frame but putting the XL2 in that mode (heard the 4:3 frame on the XL2 covered about 98% of a regular TV frame so it's accurate enough). You then switch to 16:9 and mark lines to reproduce that 4:3 frame.

Or you can also calculate it. Knowing the height of the screen becomes extactly 23.5 mm when cropped in 16:9 mode (i just checked on mine), you know that your width will be 31.33 mm to get a 4:3 ratio.

Sorry, about the acetate, this is the french appellation, don't know extactly what this is in english, but it's just a clear sheet of plastic that you use for projector presentations of text documents. Any clear and thin sheet of plastic will do. Try to find something that will hold in place using static only. I think this would be the cleanest and most practical way to get it on/off in a matter of seconds.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:18 AM   #77
Regular Crew

G'day guys, Just to let you know that even high end cameras sometimes don't have 4:3 safe in the viewfinder. I use a Sony DXC D30 camera head with SP,SX and DVCam backs and it doesn't have safe marks. The next model the D35 had them though. Being a freelancer I get used to a whole different range of cameras and you just adapt. Marked Plastic sounds like a good idea though.
George
Red Rock
George Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #78
Nerabsal

Viewfinder too heavy for itself?

I just purchased the XL2 Body Kit today and I noticed that the viewfinder does not seem to stay still past 90 degrees by itself.

For example: If I were to be in the middle of normal shooting (with the viewfinder closed and not flipped open) and my eye left the eyecup, the viewfinder starts to sag under its own weight until it's pointing towards the floor. As of now, it's not completely loose as there is still some tension in it, but I could see it getting much worse as time went on. I called B&H about the problem but they had never heard of that before. I'm going to exchange it tomorrow, but I wonder if anybody else has had that problem. Just by feeling how heavy the viewfinder is on the swivel joint, I can't imagine that another one will be much different or that over time, the joint will become loose again.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #79
Trustee

Been using it for 3 months and never had a problem. If anything the darn thing is very snug and tight. Sorry to hear it happened to you but take a little comfort that in the 3 XL2's I have physically handled they all have been tight so you should be getting a good one when you replace it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #80
Trustee

I noted when I got my xl2 that it had a lighter tension than I was used to with the xl1s. Mine doesn't fall on its own but just the pressure of putting my eye to the cup with gradually send it lower. Sounds like your's needs an adjustment. I'd call canon and send it in.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #81
Nerabsal

Thanks guys. I hope my next one doesn't do it. I'll check it right there with them standing over my shoulder this time.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #82
Regular Crew

XL2 viewfinder

Hi all

Has anybody noticed that the text and graphics in the viewfinder look awful in 16:9 mode? It's like as if they have been interpolated to fit in the smaller screen size and the edges flicker, especially the battery symbol.

It's quite annoying. It's an awful pity they didn't put a 16:9 lcd in.

THe display is pretty much perfect in 4:3 mode.

Is it just me or do other people find this as well?

Donie
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #83
Obstreperous Rex

I've noticed that the latest generation of Sony consumer DV camcorders have proper 16:9 flip-out LCD displays... sure hope Canon learns a thing or two from that. But then again I suppose we should consider ourselves fortunate that it's even letterboxed to begin with...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #84
Regular Crew

I wonder could it be fixed with a firmware upgrade? Yes, i agree about being letter-boxed, it was awful shooting 16:9 on the XL1s but I didn't use wide-screen then so I wasn't too put out.

I bough the Xl2 because my new projects are all wide-screen. I guess I'll live with it but you'd expect more of a camera of this price range.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #85
Regular Crew

dead pixels in evf

So I just received my XL2 and was ecstatic, but after a little use I noticed 2 dead pixels in the EVF. I've run through some tests and here's what I can tell:

- one pixel is locked in green while the other is purple
- their positions remain the same in 4x3 or 16x9, while zooming
- they don't record to tape, I checked the footage on my comp

So I basically assumed they were an EVF issue, but they turn off sometimes whenever I switch between 24p, 30p, 60i. WTF?! No idea what's going on here. I checked the connections for the EVF and all looks clear. Any idea what's going on here? Anyone else have this problem? I'm definately shipping it out soon to get fixed, just really upsetting when you shell out this much money for a camera and something like this happens fresh out of the box.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #86
Major Player

I have a Panasonic MX500 with 1 dead pixel in the EVF, it was like this straight from the box. I haven't done anything about it because it came from overseas. It is always black, it never changes colour or anything.

Hope you can work it out.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #87
RED Code Chef

I assume you bought the camera with warranty. I would have it
replaced when you receive it with dead pixels.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Rob, I did buy it under warranty. I'm going to call canon and see what they can do to remedy the situation. It's still a pain! I really love the images though...extremely clean. Can't wait to shoot a short with it!
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #89
Regular Crew

XL2 Viewfinder Sag.... Canon Quality issues

Hi all,
With a heavy heart, I have to say that I think Canon's quality is slipping.

I have been an XL1 user for some time, and I just upgraded to an XL2.

I have now had to return my second Brand New XL2 for replacement. The first model had a problem communicating with the lens, the second XL2 has a problem with the viewfinder sagging. (The viewfinder lens sags under it's own weight) which is an unacceptable problem.

I also notice that the little doors on the XL2 are extremely cheap, the "Iris Set" rocker feels like it is ready to fall apart and is extremely difficult to push.

As much as I LOVE the form factor of the XL series, and as much as I feel like the design of the camera adds to the creative process, I am afraid that Canon is not putting it's best foot forward on this one.... it just "feels" like they are cutting corners.
Matthew C. Abourezk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #90
Wrangler

Matthew,

Sorry to read of your troubles; my XL2 has been trouble-free and I love it. You have a right to expect your purchase to operate as advertised, so don't be shy about getting satisfaction from Canon.

If it should turn out that there is a user adjustment for the viewfinder tension, please do share it with the community...mine is fine, but now I wonder what will happen with extended use!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders