XL2 color LCD viewfinder - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM   #211
Inner Circle

Right, if color isn't an issue, than sure, any television will show you the frame, provided you're NOT shooting 16:9. If you are, then you'll need a better set,but then you're back to looking at pro monitors.

For what it's worth, I like the sony PVM-14N6u. You can find them used on ebay, for 100 to 200. (I saw I place in Canada selling them for fifty bucks, but then another 80 for shipping and more for customs...) The PVM-14N6u is small enough to haul onset,(17x17x19) but it is HEAVY. Good colors, resolution and 16:9. Takes composite, S and RGB, accepts NTSC, PAL and Seacam.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #212
Go Cycle

Any of the 16:9 DVD players with Inputs will work fine. I do it all the time.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:05 AM   #213
New Boot

thanks

thanks for the suggestions guys. I checked out the sony monitor, it looks perfect (since I shoot almost everything in 16x9.) I got some birthday money coming so maybe I'll pick one up. Till then I'll keep using the 7" portable dvd player i've got despite it's limitations. (2.5' video cable. broken position springs, horribly narrow viewable angle.) Does anyone get as frustrated with cannon's xl camera's as I do for their not having the ability to frame a shot from in front of the camera? Or is it rare that people frame shots from in front of the camera?

jayson
www.oldchildprojects.com
Jayson Rahmlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #214
Wrangler

If you already have a pocket TV (like a little Casio type), you might be interested in something like this. You would be free to walk around your set and see the framing without having the monitor tied to the camera.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM   #215
Inner Circle

Cool link Charles... thanks.

As to whether or not it's 'rare' to need to frame in front of the camera... I wouldn't say 'rare' but certainly not the primary concern.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM   #216
New Boot

Dead pixels in LCD Viewfinder ?

Good afternoon members. I recently bought a second XL2 on Ebay. Listed as new in box. I'm not so sure about that but the camera does appear to be like new except unlike my other XL2 I see a couple of white spots in the viewfinder. I assume these are bad pixels. Has anyone else seen anything like this and by chance did they ever go away ? Thank you, Chris..
Chris Sabold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM   #217
Major Player

They might be dead pixels yes. I had some on my second XL2's viewfinder too (a couple red and one green). The bad news is no, they're not going to go away. The good news is, if they are bad pixels in your viewfinder's LCD screen only, and not on the CCD block, then it has no effect whatsoever on your final output. You might want to test that out.

It might be too annoying to you though, even if it turns out it's only in the viewfinder, in that case you'll have to contact a Canon repair facility and ask if it's covered under warranty (assuming you bought from a legit dealer and not grey market). I never bothered to have mine repaired, I was using a FU-1000 viewfinder anyway.

BTW, I know it'll sound stupid, but since you said it was white, make sure it isn't some dust stuck on your LCD or lens (front or back element) first. You already own one so you're probably aware of that, but just making sure.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #218
Major Player

Scratched XL2 viewfinder repair?

Okay, I admit it. It's all my fault. After cleaning the plastic lenses on the viewfinder of my XL2 too many times in the field without the proper brushes and lens cloth, I've scratched the plastic to a point where I need to replace it.

I just got off the phone with the NJ service center and the girl there was at best clueless. Maybe I should have asked for someone else. She told me normal cleaning, adjustments and labor would run $240 plus parts but had no idea what the parts would cost, they would call me with a quote once they had the unit in hand.

Basically, all the plastic lenses on the flip up portion of the viewfinder need to be replaced.

Have any of you ever had this repair done by Canon? If so, what was the cost?

Thanks.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #219
Obstreperous Rex

I think the manufacturer's quality control insures that 99.97% of the viewfinder pixels are active. This means you should have no more than seven or eight dead pixels in the EVF. If you do, send it in to Canon factory service for repair.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #220
Obstreperous Rex

$240 or $250 is the usual charge, and it's a fair price. Once they have received your camera, they will contact you with an estimate on any costs over and above that amount. Please report back here when you find out what the actual cost is. Also try the Irvine CA repair facility. Good luck,

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #221
Major Player

After reading my post I feel I should add I wasn't questioning the $240 quote, that's seems fair to me.

It was a little early to call the Irvine repair center but I am going to try them as well.

Thanks for the reply, Chris.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #222
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, I should have implied that my comment about the $240 was intended for casual readers of this thread who might be unfamiliar with the service call process. The quality of work provided by the Jamesburg and Irvine facilities should be on par with each other.

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #223
New Boot

Scratched Outer Viewfinder

I can't see paying a minimum of $240 bucks for a piece of plastic.....mine has the same problem and I would like an alternative solution to $240.00.
Stephen A. Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #224
Obstreperous Rex

The $240 is the minimum price for a service call and it is in fact a fair price. That amount is not paid for just "a piece of plastic." It's the cost for the time and services of the lab tech to crack the camera open, clean and tweak the camera inside and out, upgrade firmware if required, and to generally perform whatever basic maintainence is required to bring the camera back to a like-new condition.

That cost is consistent throughout the industry for similar camcorders from other manufacturers, and it's perfectly reasonable. It's a small amount to pay in order to service a sensitive and delicate $4000 camcorder. Hope this helps,

Old April 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #225
New Boot

View Finder

I just got off of the phone with the Canon Rep and they told me that if that's the only thing wrong with the camera then it should be around $80.00 to repair. CH, is correct in stating that the $240 is a good price to pay for the complete check-up of your valuable camera.
I just ordered the outter lense piece and I should be receiving it on Wed. I'll let you know how it went when I attempt to swap out this piece.
For you own ref. the part # is: YN1-3114-000 (CVF-G3-LENSE) and it cost $20.80 the rest will be labor charges. Now if you are a XL2 club member the cost is a lot less to get it repaired and you will garanteed to have your camera back in 5 days or they will give you a loaner. They will even save your settings and restore it once the camera is ready. Once again value added!!!
Stephen A. Dolphin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders