Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM   #31
Trustee

The middle of the month wont be as busy for me... I will get some more going then. Feel free to email me Chris...

ash =o) ashVID@aol.com
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #32
Trustee

trouble with Blue barn software

Chris,
Excuse this if you got a previous email, but a guy helping me snet it from your closed thread, and I'm not sure if you got it. Anyways...
We installed Blue barn, but it won't recognize the XL2( says 'cant find camera"). We also downloaded Canon's pc dv recorder software, and that works fine. In addition, we connected to Vegas, and thatt captured the xl2 perfectly.
We set the xl2 to "ext control' and had the dv control on.I have never used it with another xl2. We downloaded the presets, but of course couldn't do anything with them.
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear this -- let me see if I can summon some outside help.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #34
Trustee

Chris,
We got it working.We found that the avc driver had not installed in the device manager,"yellow?"( It didn't install the driver on its'own).. We updated the driver,went ble barn folder,and installed the driver. Now it works great. Thanks to you guys and blue barn.
Here's a realted question-In order to load a preset into the xl, the xl has to be in ext.con. We loaded the preset "documantary" to the xl2. Then we turned off etx. cont.,and swithed to manual, the look changed from what we viewed when we were about to load it. Does this make sense?
Also, we stumbled upon the Canon dv to pc recorder ( on Canon's site), and it works great. It won't , however,let you capture tape to the pc, only live shooting.
Thanks again
Bruce S. Yarock
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

The look changed from what you viewed when you were about to load it... not quite sure I follow your meaning. When in Ext. Cont. mode, when you hit "set preset" in the BlueBarn app, you'll see the look of that preset in the XL2 viewfinder. Then when you switch to one of the camera program modes, the look in the viewfinder should change because you haven't toggled on the custom preset yet. If you get what I mean.

At any rate, glad to hear you've got it going!

Old August 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Chris,
Here's a realted question-In order to load a preset into the xl, the xl has to be in ext.con. We loaded the preset "documantary" to the xl2. Then we turned off etx. cont.,and swithed to manual, the look changed from what we viewed when we were about to load it. Does this make sense?
Bruce S. Yarock
In external ctrl mode the XL2 seems to go into some very generic settings that you cannot control. Here is what I observed.

Defaults to 60i (obvious to an experience 24P user)
Defaults to 4x3 (umm...duh...you can see this)
defaults to auto WB (not so obvious but it happens)
defaults to auto gain
defaults to auto shutter

YOu cannot see a readout of this but I fooled around and could see this.

THe gain light was on. The shutter light came on and the colors went south (WB)

So I think that you have to disregard what you are seeing on the camera until you move back into a "real" camera mode and not the ext. ctrl.

It would be sweet to tweak your camera setting from the PC in real time but it just doesn't seem possible.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:55 AM   #37
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
In external ctrl mode the XL2 seems to go into some very generic settings that you cannot control. Here is what I observed.

Defaults to 60i (obvious to an experience 24P user)
Defaults to 4x3 (umm...duh...you can see this)
defaults to auto WB (not so obvious but it happens)
defaults to auto gain
defaults to auto shutter

YOu cannot see a readout of this but I fooled around and could see this.

THe gain light was on. The shutter light came on and the colors went south (WB)

So I think that you have to disregard what you are seeing on the camera until you move back into a "real" camera mode and not the ext. ctrl.

It would be sweet to tweak your camera setting from the PC in real time but it just doesn't seem possible.

You know Marty, I'm thinking that a more robust application would be able to take complete control and adjust those 'defaults' to whatever mode you wanted to. So, don't lose site of your dream of tweaking presets in real-time just yet.

Not confirmed, just a supposition on my part.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #38
Trustee

Marty,
Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy when I saw one look in ext. and then a completely different one back in manual (cam control).So what you're saying is that you can't preview the setting until you actually load it into the xl2, and swithc back to a recording mode?
Bruce S. Yarock
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
... you can't preview the setting until you actually load it into the xl2, and swithc back to a recording mode?
Bruce S. Yarock
That is still way quicker than the old method of manually putting each setting in throught the Menu commands on the cam.
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you can't preview the setting until you actually load it into the xl2, and swithc back to a recording mode?
Yes Bruce, that is correct, as I explained in the Presets Manager article located at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article15.php

-- second paragraph from the bottom. Pretty much everything you need to know about this application is there; hopefully you read it before downloading the software!

By the way I have merged this thread with our original discussion about the Presets Manager app; we need to keep all of these posts under one roof. Thanks,

Old August 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #41

I've been a mac user for a long time, but have a fairly new Sony Vaio that I'm downloading Blue Barn to right now.

While I was downloading it I was thinking that if this program is as good as I think it's going to be, wouldn't it be great if a program be written for pocket organizer devices (like a Palm)?

I don't even carry a Palm or any other electronic organizer, but would buy one specifically for this purpose to allow more mobility (allowing you to slip it into your pocket or camera case).

I don't know, do those devices even have firewire ports? Just curious.

I'm looking forward to trying this out on my Vaio & the Mac version too!

Last edited by Guest; August 26th, 2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Derek,

Such a thing could happen if (and when) there is ever a PDA device running Pocket PC and equipped with FireWire. Unfortunately, no such thing yet exists.

Old August 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager on Virtual PC

So I downloaded the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager and loaded it up onto my Mac using Virtual PC 7 and Windows XP Pro only to discover that my software does not support firewire. Is there such a thing as a USB - Firewire DV adapter? Is Blue Barn planning a Mac version?

Thanks.
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Evan,

Sadly there is no such thing as a USB - FireWire converter. The BlueBarn XL2 Presets Manager application is designed to operate only on FireWire-equipped PC's, and there is no other way into an XL2 other than FireWire. There will be a Mac version but I don't yet have an estimated date of availability.

Old August 31st, 2005, 12:49 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Since us Mac users cannot currently use the Blue Barn software, are these presets listed anywhere in a printable form so that I may input them manually?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders