XL2 tapes only play in XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #16
Major Player

Jeremiah, I called Canon Tech support today and they said that there was no work around for the firewire issue. All of the Canon ZR800 Series cameras have the same basic circuitry and will not work on a computer with other IEEE 1394 Devices plugged in. I personally think that is bad engineering. This fact is stated on page 46 of the ZR800 owners manual. Looks like I'll be taking my ZR800 back to Best Buy and eating a 15% restocking fee. That's okay though, I really didn't need to do anything else with that $40, or the couple hours I spent trouble shooting this issue that is a DESIGN FLAW OF THE CAMERA!!!

Sorry to rant, I know there's nothing anyone here can do about it...
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
Jeremiah, I called Canon Tech support today and they said that there was no work around for the firewire issue. All of the Canon ZR800 Series cameras have the same basic circuitry and will not work on a computer with other IEEE 1394 Devices plugged in. I personally think that is bad engineering. This fact is stated on page 46 of the ZR800 owners manual. Looks like I'll be taking my ZR800 back to Best Buy and eating a 15% restocking fee. That's okay though, I really didn't need to do anything else with that $40, or the couple hours I spent trouble shooting this issue that is a DESIGN FLAW OF THE CAMERA!!!

Sorry to rant, I know there's nothing anyone here can do about it...

Actually, most this info is not correct. This is a Mac issue, not a Canon issue. There is only one firewire bus on most Macs. If you plug your camera into your HDD (most external HDDs have a passthru connection) it will work fine. MOST firewire devices will not work correctly with a Mac when there are multiple items hooked up.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #18
Regular Crew

might be OT

Ash,
I quite often run multiple firewire devices on a G4, G5 and MacPro. The only problem I have is with firewire 800 drives and my Gl2 or Optura pi. All transfers to the external hard drives are slowed to firewire 400 speeds till I unplug the camera. No, I think it's a canon firewire implementation issue...
Most all Canon camcorders require the "firewire basic" protocol which is not a full implementation of the firewire spec...
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Ash, I have to disagree with you. I have had the same setup for about two years now:

- PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
- Final Cut Express 2.0.3
- Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme 1TB (Connected via rear FW800 port)
- Canon XL2 or Sony TRV11 (Connected via front FW400 port)

This workflow has worked like a charm for me until I switched out and tried to use the Canon ZR800 as a deck (Connected via front FW400 port). How would changing the camera affect the "one firewire bus on most Macs?" Now, I'm not a tech - or even claim to be a geek - but I don't see why the problem would be present with one camera over another if the issue was computer related. Also, I'll state again that in the ZR800 owners manual on page 46 it says that all other firewire devices should be disconnected from the computer for the camera to transfer data to the computer.

Now, one thing that I will give you, Ash, is that I cannot have two VIDEO sources connected to the computer at the same time via firewire. For instance I cannot have my Canopus ADVC110 and my XL2 connected to the computer at the same time and launch or work in a video related program (FCE, iMovie, iDVD). This does cause these programs to hang or not respond.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #20
Trustee

There is no consistency. Some cameras work, some dont. Some firewire drives work together, some dont. If you have a Mac, the only all-purpose answer is to install an additional firewire card. Most firewire imaging devices will cause problems, even Apples own firewire iSight, when trying to play with other firewire devices. This is not a Canon specific issue.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
Ash, I have to disagree with you. I have had the same setup for about two years now:
- PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
- Final Cut Express 2.0.3
- Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme 1TB (Connected via rear FW800 port)
- Canon XL2 or Sony TRV11 (Connected via front FW400 port)

This may work but your drive is running very slow, if you have a FW400 device hooked up ANYWHERE, the bus runs at that speed.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders