XL2 tapes only play in XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 tapes only play in XL2

I record in the XL2 at 24fps yadda yadda yadda...but am trying to capture into my computer through a deck and sometimes another camera...however it doesn't capture right..it looks blocky and messed up. Is this due to the 24p issue...or does this sound more like a head issue within the XL2 and I need to send it to canon?

thanks
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Jeremiah. Did you happen to record the tape in LP mode? That could cause playback problems when you switch the tape to another deck.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

no...it was sp
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

please define the 'yada yada yada' part of your post. Was it 24p or 24pa? Which deck are you trying to import with? Which NLE? Not all Decks/nle's handle 2332 correctly.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i shoot 24p (2332)....then use a....well..not sure on the name of the deck...but its a sony minidv/dvcam deck...and then i use a DCR-TRV11 minidv camera...(old but still tickin).....and i'm using vegas 7 ...and FCP..

thanks
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Have you check the xl2??

You were wondering if it might be the heads in the XL2, have you tried capturing any footage from it yet? I've used a crappy old JVC minidv cam to capture 24pa video and it turned out fine. I know if your using an Xl1 or gl2 in frame mode, you might have some problems capturing on other devices. Hopefully nothing is wrong with your XL2.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Sounds like it might be the head alignment of the XL2. If this is the case, you must dub everything you have shot on it or it will be lost forever. Tapes recorded to a head that is not properly aligned will ONLY play back on the machine that recorded them.

Maybe try a nicer deck and see if you have any luck, if not, dub everything from the XL2 to another deck via firewire, THEN send it in for repair. If I remember right, you are looking at $400 or so.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Sounds like it might be the head alignment of the XL2. If this is the case, you must dub everything you have shot on it or it will be lost forever. Tapes recorded to a head that is not properly aligned will ONLY play back on the machine that recorded them.
ditto to that
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

yeah...it captures perfect off the XL2....its just garbled on non XL2 equipment...

dang...$400=not good...

thanks guys
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Before you send it in, try this. Record a tape at 60i on the xl2, and see if it plays back on the deck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The trv11 is what 8-9 years old? The problem may not be alignment and it definitely isn't pulldown. In the early days not all dv was created equal and there were some compatibility issues. Has your workflow ever worked? If so it's time for a tune-up, if not you may have to use the xl2 as a spooler or get fresher gear. Good Luck.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

yeah i know the trv11 is ancient...was my first camera :o) ...but it works for everything else I shoot with XL1s, GL1, VX2000, DVX100, DSR 250....and i know its probably time to buy a deck (the deck i was talking about earlier is my friends)...anyway...haven't tried the 60i thing yet...that's my next experiment....will let you know..

thanks
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM   #13
Major Player

I have 2 TRV11s and they don't like footage from my XL2 at all. Also, anything I shoot on the TRV11s won't play back at all on the XL2. I only shoot in 60i and 30p, doesn't make a difference, the TRV11s won't play it. If you want to get a deck and not spend as much cash, I've read on this board in other threads to get a Canon Optura 100 (I think that was the model number). I haven't got around to getting one myself, but when I do I'll be taking 3 tapes with me to the store. One 60i, one 30p, and one 24p to make sure that they all play back fine. If the store lets me, I'll also be shooting a little on the Optura and bringing that tape home to see if it will play on the XL2.

Wow, I didn't know anybody else had TRV11s anymore...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post

Wow, I didn't know anybody else had TRV11s anymore...
...it's a classic...
Old March 11th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Major Player

ZR800 - Almost a Homerun

Jeremiah, I thought I'd let you know about a recent, and relatively small investment I made... I just bought a Canon ZR800 (the cheapest Canon I could find), but here's the thing - It plays back anything the XL2 can record as well as playing back footage shot by my TRV11s. There is one problem that I am still trying to work out though - Whenever I connect the ZR800 to my G5, I can't have any other firewire device hooked up to the computer. This is quite the problem for me as my capture and scratch drives are external firewire. I'll keep you posted if I find a work around or another camcorder model that will work with the XL2 and the TRV11.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders