fitted protective cover? camkote? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

fitted protective cover? camkote?

anyone recommend one - did camkote go out of business?

thanks
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Kata makes a fitted cover for the XL H1. Haven't picked it up yet, but they make very nice bags.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Put some extra thought in before you buy

Hi,
I bought my H1 with a Kata bag supplied - but I too am seriously thinking of buying a work jacket for the camera. I am in Spain and I think in the summer months I am going to use the white reflective jacket I have seen that helps keep it cool.
Trouble is, I like to protect it while travelling too so putting it in a Kata or something similar has its attractions. It's annoying for me that the H1 just about fits the bag I have now - without a jacket on the camera - so when I get one, every time I get the camera out and put it away I am going to be on and off with the jacket...
I would try and get a Kata that can take the H1 - WITH the working jacket fitted - it will double up on protection for travelling while maintaining the working protection while out of the Kata.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Some options

Hi
These guys have some options; http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...ewCat&catId=40
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Dave - what travel bag are you using?

The Kata dvg-53 provides no protection for the lens and restricts access to many controls when closed.

I thinks the portabrace CBA-XL2 looks about the best for my needs - but very bulky
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Which Kata

Hi Peter, the bag I am using is more of a transit case than a working cover as it renders the camera inoperable when inside it so it's not for working with. It's Code is VA-0002-10 and it's name is CCC-10.
I have the 6X lens fitted and there is still room at both ends for a pocket / divider. In the pockets I carry the charger, dc coupler, mains lead, remote control, half a dozen striped new tapes. I am about to fit the Adapter holder plate as having offered it up while in the back the ensemble will still fit with it fixed.
There are two outside end pockets and these I am using to carry the DTC -1000 Component Video cable and a Sennheiser on cam G2 radio mic system (hence the desire to fit the adapter holder. There is a zip up side pocket you can slide a piece of 80 gsm paper into (100gsm is too thick);

It seems to be a reasonable rig - but I still treat it all with kid gloves
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Dave thanks

I am looking for a protective cover to use while shooting - seems like portabrace is the only option - the Kata DVG-53 is still in development.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM   #8
Major Player

I went with a portabrace rs XL2 - a rain cover rather than body armor - provides great protection from the elements. It is a HUGE improvement over the RS XL1 and - highly recommended if you shoot outside a lot
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM   #9
Major Player

Have now bought the Portabrace for the XL series. I leave it on full time but it makes it damned tight inside the Kata carry bag!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Major Player

yes you have to be much more careful packing the cam because you don't necessarily see when you are stressing a part
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders