New XL HDV shown at IBC - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #31
Regular Crew

This is sooooo whack!! It's funny because that DVXuser thread started with a bunch of rumor talk, exactly like here, and all the sudden out of nowhere this guy pops in and kinda goes... oh, and by the way, here's the new XL-3.
What??!!!!! That's how we're introduced to the new XL camcorder????Nobody else saw it there?? No official announcements?
I'm confused because the guy seemed legit and offered several HVX pictures.
Whether it's the real thing or not, I'm highly unimpressed.
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #32
Regular Crew

No doubt we will get some more solid information soon, but I have seen a brief report from someone else who was at IBC and he mentioned a black painted HDV XL2 in a glass case, but said that Canon staff were completely tight lipped about it.

So I'm risking a bet on this being a teasing statement of intent from Canon. It does make some sort of sense. The general verdict is that the XL2 was not a well timed release, and I suspect that sales have been disappointing.

Look at how Panasonic have trailed the HVX200 well before it's available. Some people who would have bought a Sony Z1 have held off for the HVX200. If Panasonic had only announced the HVX200 a month before it was available then they would have lost those sales to Sony.

Even if it is real it will obviously be some time before stock is on the shelves and freely available (well into 2006?), so XL2 buyers still have time to get some mileage out of their machines.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #33
Trustee

Fake pictures or not, that wont be the camera. You can speculate all day why they would use a bogus dummy camera. Anywhere from last minute panic to get SOMETHING in the showcase to a clever deception tactic to make their announcement even grander.

They wont render their flagship camera obsolete...they wont use the same lens....they wont use the same BAD viewfinder and for the love of GAWD they WILL put markings on it. I cant believe you guys are getting worked up about this. I mean, if this WAS the camera, then sure it would be lame but its not.... period, endstop....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #34
Major Player

It's True!

Chris, time to move this topic out of Area 51....

I hearby CONFIRM the coming of an HDV XL-style camear from Canon.

The pictures that have been posted are genuine.

The Canon reps here at the show are not aloud to talk abotu it. There will be a full formal announcemtnat the Canon Expo in NY in a few days.

And therefor that is all i can tell you about it. ..except that i does look considerably better in person than from the pics.. it's not just a shotty spray paint job.. but I doubt it's a production moddle either.

- Mikko
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #35
Trustee

Ok, so...

It's like that girl you know who wears coke bottle glasses, hair tied back and everyone thinks she's a plain jane. However, underneith all that is a hottie?

I hope so! :)
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #36
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
Chris, time to move this topic out of Area 51....

I hearby CONFIRM the coming of an HDV XL-style camear from Canon.

The pictures that have been posted are genuine.

The Canon reps here at the show are not aloud to talk abotu it. There will be a full formal announcemtnat the Canon Expo in NY in a few days.

And therefor that is all i can tell you about it. ..except that i does look considerably better in person than from the pics.. it's not just a shotty spray paint job.. but I doubt it's a production moddle either.

- Mikko
Per this post by Mikko, this thread is moved from Area 51 and to the Digital Video Industry News forum. Thanks for the independent confirmation Mikko.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Lars has posted his Canon HDV photos to our image gallery... the link is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=27

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #38
Wrangler

Lars, welcome to DVinfo. The pictures you've shared appear to be down-rezzed versions. Any chance you can share the original pictures (full resolution), and post any other information you may have learned? Thanks in advance!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #39
Major Player

Maybe we should move this back to area 51.

The person who told me the camera was coming three days. Didn't give me any information.

Now I don't know if he knows more or not about specs.

But he did say that he thought that Canon had been sitting back looking at the market.

Seeing what everyone was doing and then top that.

So maybe 1080p at 24p in 60p so the pull down would pull out the frames needed. Maybe recording to a hard drive, etc.

I'd say maybe even more than one frame rate.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #40
Wrangler

Yeah, let's keep this thread for actual observations and links to official reports, and any speculation can go in one of the several threads on this subject in AREA 51.

I sure wish I could go to Canon Expo next week!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #41
Major Player

I'm half way there now across the country.

But next week I'll be back in California for two weeks working on my house.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #42
Regular Crew

So.......

So should I sell my XL2 now or wait to see fi there will be an upgrade path for current XL2 owners ?
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #43
Major Player

Boy, I do like that black.
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #44
Major Player

Ummm.... XL2S? The XL2, but now with HDV!!! *sarcasm* "Yay"!

It would be amazing if it were uncompressed HDV (since there is NO such thing), but I don't see what it could offer unless it recorded straight to laptop hard drives. Maybe they actually did get the formfactor right so original XL-lenses can work with it? Good for people with XL1/S's and XL2's, but what about those going in for the first time?

I'm just speculating and I'm honestly as excited and giddy as everyone else about it. I wonder what Canon's going to say. =D
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Jack, I am exited too, but it's - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - impossible to let the lenses of the XL1/XL1s/XL2 to be compatible with a HDV version of an XL2. Because I think you need a lens that can resolve more resolution than your SD lens.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders