New XL HDV shown at IBC - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 13th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #106
Trustee

It looks offical...no 24p on Canon's new HDV. How weird is that? Their previous model has 24p! Granted it's SD, but it's damn nice image for a lot less money.

If I were going to buy a Canon...I'd actually think about getting their XL2 now. It'll be cheaper and it does 24p for film outs...sounds like a bargain camera to me. This newer Canon HDV is up against still compeditors that are cheaper!
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #107
Wrangler

Christopher, are you privy to a verified source that nobody else has reported as yet? I'm certainly hopeful for an HD camera announcement at Canon Expo in the coming days, but so far am unaware of any substantiated information about the capabilities of their next camera.

If you have an official source, please link it or tell us where to find it. Thanks!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #108
Trustee

I don't like linking to other sites, but here is where I found the information.

"....will not have a 24 frames progressive scan mode"
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-Camcorder.htm
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #109
Major Player

Have a look at this blog on the speech yesterday by Fujio Mitarai, President and CEO of Canon.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...po-Keynote.htm

and possible reference to more than one camera.

Apparently the announcement is going to come today, the 14th, at 10:30AM. I am eating my words on that photo . . .
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #110
Wrangler

Christopher and Peter,

Agree that we don't want to make a habit of going to other web sites -- some of which may have a reputation for, shall we say, speculative reporting -- as we look for the hot news, but considering the buzz about Canon lately, verfying the source of the latest rumors and reports are most appreciated. Thanks.

Happily, we can stay right here at DVinfo for all the latest rock-solid information on Canon's new camera. As of today DVinfo "Kennelmaster" Chris Hurd has established a new forum just for Canon's new HD camera:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

I'm going to look in that forum to see what's new and true about Canon's new camera, like whether there's no NATIVE 24p, or no 24p at all (I'm sure we are all hoping for the former, not the latter). If you need me, that's where I'll be. C'mon over everyone!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #111
Regular Crew

Uhmm...

Here is the offical press release just in case you missed it, following this thread I saw no mention of it so I decided to post it :-)

http://opd.usa.canon.com/templatedat...0914_xlh1.html

Also here is a pic!!

The hi res shot is here...
http://opd.usa.canon.com/templatedat...hiRes_XLH1.jpg

Looks interesting :)
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #112
Trustee

Great, same crap as with the Z1 - it has some kind of "24 frame mode" but what does this mean? Will they botch it like CF24 with the Sony? If the CCDs cannot capture progressively, there is no way to make 24p without blending fields, and that means resolution loss.

Canon, WHY OH WHY? You had an almost perfect camera! Why did you botch it?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #113
Trustee

That's my question too. If it blends fields to make a frame, how is it possible to be as good as real progressive? Fields are not captured at the same time. To me, it seems like while progressive is like a solid digital still, this method would be like taking a still from a video stream, or a video still. I still can't see it.
Besides, in this day and age, going back to some sort of frame movie mode just seems like a step backwards. Maybe after the XL-H1S, Canon will make a XL-H2 with real progressive.
I hope sample footage will come soon.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #114
Trustee

Right, it probably will be comparable to the Frame Mode of the XL1 and GL1-2. Which, incidentally, isn't terrible. Their field blending algorithm is actually quite good as compared with most any other method of making 60i->24p. But still, why not just capture at freakin 1080p?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #115
Regular Crew

I could be very mistaken, but doesn't the Sony F900 get progressive from interlaced fields? 24psf... something like that. Good enough for Lucas... good enough for me.

We might be suprised by this new camera.
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie Zakaria
Uhmm...

Here is the offical press release just in case you missed it, following this thread I saw no mention of it so I decided to post it :-)

http://www.opd.usa.canon.com/templat...0914_xlh1.html
Thanks for posting that informative page. I actually know what the hell is going on with the features now. I am not able to save the H1 images to my PC though. I can copy the image files but they don't display once on my machine.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Botsford
Good enough for Lucas... good enough for me.

I hope you don't say the same about scripts and performances! :)
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Nooooooooo way, Mike!!!!!!! Talking purely technical.

Jimmy Smits??? gimme a break... and that Hayden Christianson couldn't act his way out of a paper bag!
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #119
Major Player

Re: looks like a spray painted XL-2

If true, hey, at least it was spray. There would have been brush or roller marks if they did it the other way, and them'd have to be sanded off.

;-)
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Here this cant get any more official than Canon's very own site

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=12152

then if you click on the "HDV recording" it tells you what it can record
it says 24F and 30F and 60i which im guessing the 24F isnt really 24P
only time will tell if it looks good or not.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders