New XL HDV shown at IBC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

New XL HDV shown at IBC

Someone at IBC posted pictures of a new Canon camera... looks like an XL2 but all black. Obviously still a mockup, as there was nothing printed on it at all except for two things: "Canon" and "HDV".
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Where are these pictures, Barry? I know you are a trustworthy source, but without proof, this thread may have to go to Area 51. :-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Never mind Barry, I just found out where they were. Should have known because of your other camera affiliation.

=gb=
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

http://www.larssteenhoff.com/blog/pi...c/DSC_4410.JPG
http://www.larssteenhoff.com/blog/pi...c/DSC_4342.JPG
http://www.larssteenhoff.com/blog/pi...c/DSC_4408.JPG

Now, granted, it looks like all they did was spray-paint an XL2 black and put an HDV sticker on it. But still, it portends what they have in mind!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Wrangler

Just went to the other site and looked closely at the pictures. The only visible difference from the XL-2 (aside from being black), is the presence of two buttons above what would be the exposure lock on the XL-2. The lens looks like someone took the 20X and spray painted it black. Hmmmm....

=gb=
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Wrangler

Maybe Canon will offer an XL3 upgrade kit that includes a can of black spray paint and an HDV sticker? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Can't wait to see some specs on this.
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Maybe Canon will offer and XL3 upgrade kit that includes a can of black spray paint and an HDV sticker? ;-)
They will also include instructions on what keys to press when powering up the XL-2 to put it in HDV mode. AKA, the buttons above the exposure lock are the only visible difference. This must be a mock-up and not a real working camera. I bet those buttons are a focus assist of some type so that you can focus with the color vf which appears to be identical to the XL-2. We'll just have to wait a bit and see.

=gb=
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Wrangler

Actually I think the Sony FX1 was first shown as a mockup at IBC and it bore the model number "DSR-000."
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

It looks like it was dipped in chocolate. If they do release HDV this soon after the XL-2 release, there are sure to be some PO'd XL-2 owners.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #11
Trustee

Ohhhh great- and I just bought the Sony- woulda rather had a Canon HDV with interchangeable lenses...........anyone want a 1 week old FX1?
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Wrangler

Barry and Greg,

Yeah, tough to say for sure, but my wife and I also suspect this is trickery. Here's our thoughts after taking a close look (thanks to my wife's sharp eye and facility with Photoshop):

- TOO identical to an XL2 in form, right down to each button location, size, and shape -- but NO button marks.

- Multiple possible signs of image editing...not even a mockup but an altered image. (probable clone mark on the cover to the 1394 port at the rear, multiple areas of texture change where text appears to have been erased/cloned over, the seam for the audio door is "airbrushed" out on the DSC_4342 image...oops!)

- When is the last time that Canon showed a crude non-working mockup for a major camera announcement?

- The person at DVXuser who posted the pictures shows as a brand new member; registered in Sep 2005...maybe registered just to post fake pics?

There have been no reports back from our DVi reps at IBC yet. But I'm going to bite the bullet and call this fake and move the thread to AREA 51 unless and until we get some independent confirmation. If I fooled myself, and it IS real, we can move it to the new Canon HD forum (that doesn't exist yet!)

Exciting times!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Trustee

That must be a bogus camera. Just an XL2 spray painted. That or at least I hope that's not the stock shipping version, notice, no real manual lens by the looks of things.

Aaron
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I'm going to bite the bullet and call this fake
Great; that means there's still a chance that the real XL3 will have a cup holder....
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #15
Major Player

I agree. Canon has not been one in the past to throw a mock-up camera out there.

I did just think of something, though. Is it possible to put a camera out that is HDV AND HD-DVC Pro? Now that I'm thinking about it, why didn't Panny do this? That way, you can use the tape deck for long form HD stuff, but go higher bit rates for the b'cast and indy stuff? I guess it would mean it was an HD only camera...no SD, but it sure seems interesting. I would love it if Canon did something like this, though I seriously doubt they will.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders