Today is the day! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 14th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
So there is a surprise! Uncompressed out via HD SDI? I guess you would need to have some sort of field converter to get to a harddrive, right? Not sure this is useful all the time, but nice that it's there.

I really cannot wait to see their version of 24F. If it's decent, they may have a chance here. Any word on price yet?

KW
Ships in November for $9000USD. According to the Chris H. whom I just got off the phone with, the 24F looks indentical in output to 24P. The CCD's are not progressive so Canon could not call it 24P. However, they do scan the ccd's at 24Hz and the DIGIC DV processor performs the 24p thing with no resolution loss. It's NOT like the Sony Cineframe mode. In short, you will not be disappointed with what comes out according to those who have seen it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #17

Greg, you're beginning to sound like a cheerleader.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #18
Wrangler

Just looking at the specs on Canon's site. It says "With the XL H1's versatile open-architecture approach, you can even customize your HD camcorder to record in both 60i and 50i. (This optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Service Center.)"

I wonder what that means? DO you send your camera to them and have them change it from a PAL to NTSC version? Or is it user switchable like the Z1?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #19
Trustee

There is no details about the lenses options? Since the mount is still an XL one, how the old lenses performs in term of resolution? does Canon have some plans to introduce some HD XL lenses, a manual focusing one for example?
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #20
Trustee

While the stock lens is still a servo driven cam (not my favorite option) it appears that there will be a readout on the EVF showing the distance that you are focused on (canon website), a very cool feature similar to the HVX200 and DVX100. So while there are not hard stops you at least get some indication where you are focused.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
Greg, you're beginning to sound like a cheerleader.

Jay
Give me a C....give me an A...give me an N... oh, forget it, my uniform doesn't fit me anymore after all the margaritas, chips, and salsa I've consumed.

(Note: Just kidding. Never was a cheerleader, never wanted to be one either.)

-gb-
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #22
Trustee

Ok, I agree, an interesting feature, but there is no interest in having an interchangeable lens camera system with no lens option. Perhaps Canon will introduce them later..
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #23
Trustee

FINALLY we get adjustable back focus:

"Flange Back Adjustment
This adjustment is used to adjust the Flange Back of a lens mounted on the XL H1. This adjustment can be done automatically or manually by the user."

if this camera really does have an uncompressed HD-SDI output that is taken *before* the hdv processing, it's a dream come true for the handheld fast action work that i do... all that's lacking is a firestore or similar that'll record in a better format than that crippled hdv mpeg2.

$9k is of course out of the question, lol, but many thanks to everyone for putting this info online here.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
(Note: Just kidding. Never was a cheerleader, never wanted to be one either.)
Drat! And I was so looking forward to seeing you in a short skirt and tight sweater shaking your pom-poms! ;o)

Jay
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #25
Trustee

thank goodness, i can still use my 3x and 16x =).

now i'll be waiting for the price to come down for the body kit. hopefully it'll be $7k or so without lens. barring that i'd wait for XL H2 (with variable progressive frame rates and true 1920x1080p).

ahahah everyone. everyone is always looking to the future =).

PS it looks like the tape transport means HDV can be recorded on the same miniDV tapes we're used to right?
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #26
New Boot

Bittersweet feeling guys.

My heart just stopped when i saw the post. (I got the info here first! Thanks guys ! Wooot!)
It's really cool that canon's got the XLH1.
But it looks like its gonna cost a bomb.

I'm a diehard XL fan i guess.
Hhahaha
I'm not sure how long it takes for a camera to get to asia, sooo anyone from Singapore gonna import it in?
Cheers!
Alvin Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu

now i'll be waiting for the price to come down for the body kit. hopefully it'll be $7k or so without lens. barring that i'd wait for XL H2 (with variable progressive frame rates and true 1920x1080p).

ahahah everyone. everyone is always looking to the future =).

PS it looks like the tape transport means HDV can be recorded on the same miniDV tapes we're used to right?
That is correct. It has to use the mini-dv tapes or they couldn't label it HDV. It has the added bonus of pumping uncompressed HD out the side over the HD-SDI connection.

-gb-
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #28
Wrangler

The Watchdog Skinny on the new XLH1

Here's the link to the skinny on the new Canon camera. There are a few typos but not enough to blur the information accuracy.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/xlh1skinnyx.php

-gb-
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
I'm not sure they'll work. By that, I mean they are not HD lenses. Using SD lenses on an HD camera would be an oxymoron, don't ya think?

Jay
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #30

From the "Skinny" site: "Canon states that it will not comment on future products, leaving the question of additional XL HD lens options up in the air."

Wow, without a wide angle lens, that adds insult to injury!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders