So what's the Family Truckster worth? - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM   #151
Obstreperous Rex

What? Move the thread??

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM   #152

Thanks. I'm good with it here, that's for sure, I just wanted to make sure the rest thought so!

By the way, I did start the following thread in the Z1 forum to get some quick help with learning this camera as quick as possible.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53129

But, I will continue along here with my Z1 venture. Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM   #153

The biggest issue that I will face with exporting to the web will be that I'm exporting to a .flv format. So I will have to figure out the best way (and format) to export my footage from FCP 5 in the highest quality possible. As I will then import that file into SorensonSqueeze 4.0 and export that to the .flv.
So the problem is exporting and compressing twice. Any time I've done this with my GL2 or XL2 the end results were great.

When I tried the same process with the HDV footage the results were not good.

If anyone has any suggestions or sees any errors I might be making feel free to jump in.... OR if anyone can just tell me the best way to export from FCP 5 that would result in the highest quality movie.

Beuhler, Beuhler............beuhler???
Old October 21st, 2005, 06:44 PM   #154
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
The biggest issue that I will face with exporting to the web will be that I'm exporting to a .flv format. So I will have to figure out the best way (and format) to export my footage from FCP 5 in the highest quality possible. As I will then import that file into SorensonSqueeze 4.0 and export that to the .flv.
So the problem is exporting and compressing twice. Any time I've done this with my GL2 or XL2 the end results were great.

When I tried the same process with the HDV footage the results were not good.

If anyone has any suggestions or sees any errors I might be making feel free to jump in.... OR if anyone can just tell me the best way to export from FCP 5 that would result in the highest quality movie.

Beuhler, Beuhler............beuhler???

Technically this isn't the best place to answer this 'cause it's way too far off thread... and given there's a dedicated FCP5 (and Mac based) HDV editing forum here, I'd reckon it'll be worth your while to check for the latest and best Mac/FCP/HDV tips etc. there!!

However, as with PC - the basic principle for keeping HDV quality as good as possible requires your concentration in reducing the number of encodes/re-encodes to the absolute minimum (i.e. use SD proxies or uncompressed for all but the last action), and maintaining the highest possible bitrate.

Check out LumiereHD...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:30 AM   #155

Bryan said "By all means feel free to share it." to posting a link to his site (the one I mentioned above).

As I mentioned above, he used a Sony FX1 and M2 combo. He does give you the option to see the footage with and without special filters added.

I think this is a nice sampe of HDV on the web:

http://www.tampahighdef.com/

I'll be out with the Sony all day.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM   #156
Regular Crew

Derek,

There is a section in the larger clip from about :30 to 1:05 where the rotation on the M2 adapter was accidentally turned off and you can see some dust particles on the ground glass if you look closely. I put together those clips the first day I had my M2 adapter so I am still learning how to use it and tweak it for best results with the FX1. Either way I think it opens an entirely new dimension to HDV that I am very pleased with and I plan to do a lot with it.

Bryan
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #157

I was able use the Z1 for a few hours on Friday and a few hours on Saturday. I really liked it quite a bit. A friend of mine is involved with raising Texas Longhorn, so I took it to the Longhorn Show at the State Fair of Texas on Saturday. I also took my Canon GL2.

Truthfully, I have really mixed emotions. The clarity is exceptional. I captured most of the footage from the Z1 early this morning into Final Cut Pro 5 before taking the Z1 back to VideoTex. I'm just now beginning to capture the footage from my GL2. I have a XL2, but felt adventurous enough taking one $5,000 camera, and I knew the majority of my attention would be focused on the Z1, so I did not take XL2.

I have to say that you can see a huge difference in the quality of the image, but I still have not figured out the best way to export the footage into a .flv for the web.

You can export directly from FCP into a FLV, but it only does it using Sorenson Spark (the version that comes with Flash) and I have Sorenson Squeeze 4.1 (the "much better" version). I will probably do a search on
the web to see if I can find how to export directly from FCP 5 into Sorenson Squeeze 4.1, where you can really fine tune the settings.

Things I like about the HDV format:
-The clarity
-I think it's what clients will want, if nothing more because "HDV" sounds like it's the best
-"futureproofing"

Things I like about the Sony FX/Z - 1:
-All of the above, PLUS -
-The size. It was much easier to carry than the XL2, making it much more likely to be used, and easier to use by more people... like my mom :)
(hey, I'm over 30, but my mom loves this hi-tech stuff too!).
-The balance
-The cost (vs. the H1 which will be around $9k).

Things I like about my XL2 (some of which the H1 will have):
-24p (or 24F for the H1)
-manual lens
-easy workflow for exporting to the web
-the image quality of footage exported to the web (so
far, I'm still early in my experimenting)
-the file size of footage exported to the web.
-the capability to save unlimited settings in Blue Barn.

***(I'm sure I've left out some points in the above)***

I'm going to be working with the footage as I can this week and will keep you posted. But overall, the Z1 is a really great camera...

... as is HDV.

With that said, I will keep an interested eye on the Canon H1 forum and Panny HVX200 forum over the next couple of months. I may start eating Ramen noodles again and begin saving my money for another camera.

You can start saving for retirement when you're 40, right?

Last edited by Guest; October 24th, 2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #158

Sample Footage From Z1

Made this site just for experimenting with seeing how HDV would stream on the web. First footage is located here -
Click "Montgomery Plaza," which is an old Montgomery Wards Building that is in the process of being renovated into lofts.

This footage was exported to a .flv. I will also post a H264 movie format soon. (fyi - there is no sound)

http://www.thisishdv.com/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders