So what's the Family Truckster worth? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #61
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek West
Andrew,

Yeah, so far the Toby Mac video has been the best out of the three. It was good to see the wide range of colors and how effects could be added in.

Steve,

I'm downloading some of the movies you posted links to now.
Derek,

This following video is not canned. It was shot by Nate Weaver on an HD-100 (JVC) and edited by me on Liquid 6.1.Click here (wmv)

Here is the iso of the same footage that will burn to a DVD so you can check it out on a TV.

I've worked a lot with HDV over the last year and the new cameras have really upped the ante for content producers being able to get broadcast quality.

One more for the road Click here (wmv). This one was shot once again by Nate Weaver and edited by me. These are just examples of straight video.

good luck
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wills
Just thought i'd post a link to some great HDV footage over on Apple's site.
Andrew,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the footage available on the Apple site is from consumer HDV video cameras. At least I see no mention at all regarding HDV. I'm pretty sure the sources of those videos are film and full blown HD cameras. I don't think that footage is indicative of what you'll get with an under $10,000 video camera.
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #63

Stephen,

I'll check it out right now. Looking forward to it and thanks for going to the trouble to make the .wmv's. I know time is money to everyone here. I'm sure several others will watch it as well.

"edited on Liquid 6.1"

Is that around the same price range with the same features as Final Cut Pro 5?

- - - -

Off Topic - Stephen, any relation to Brett Noe?
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #64
Trustee

Quote:
Stephen,

I'll check it out right now. Looking forward to it and thanks for going to the trouble to make the .wmv's. I know time is money to everyone here. I'm sure several others will watch it as well.

"edited on Liquid 6.1"

Is that around the same price range with the same features as Final Cut Pro 5?

- - - -

Off Topic - Stephen, any relation to Brett Noe?
OT: Noe ;-)

On Topic: I don't know what FCP is going for these days, I'd heard $999. Either way FCP, Liquid 6.1 and soon Avid XpressPro are native HDV editors so the editing is fast and smooth.

Click here for Liquid 6.1 turnkey details or you can go to www.pinnaclesys.com to check out Liquid.

good luck..
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #65

"Noe" , that's good ;)

(downloading your movie now).
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #66

Stephen,

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, but I tried to download it by clicking the link you posted and got a white screen. So then I right-clicked and saved the link to my desktop. After the movie loaded (around 21k or so), I clicked it to play. It played, but still only with the white screen. I made a screen shot for you and posted it here, for your reference:

http://www.thisis24p.com/movie.html

I could hear it. It sounded like some water, perhaps rain or a stream or river, but I could not see it.

If it's not a quick fix with something I may be doing wrong, please don't go to any trouble trying to fix it. I don't want you to spend any extra time on it just for me. Thank you though.

Oh, was using Quicktime. The first time was 7.0.1 then I did an update to 7.0.2. I'm on a Mac G5 with OSX 10.4.2.
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #67
New Boot

HD (h.264 codec from QT7.0) for windows

Hey Derek,

If your are using qtime under windows. You need to dowload the latest player that can handle the h.264 codec. Head over to this link

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

and click the standalone player link to the right of the page (kind of hidden) to update quicktime for HD (h.264) playback...... Worth the upgrade. Video clarity for this codec is impressive...... GOOD LUCK.
Eli R Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #68

Thanks, but I can see this H264 file just fine:

Some footage from a soon to be released tour DVD of Hawaii's Big Island. Enjoy: http://www.hdvd2go.com/BigIsland_h264.html

(This was posted by Kalani Prince in another thread)

Also, I don't have my FCP 5 box or instructions with me, but I thought it came with the right version of Quicktime to view h.264????

... and I'm using a Mac.

Appreciate your effort though.
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #69
New Boot

No problem Derek.

Mac user huh? You take her of any swwweeettt jumps<Napaleon Dynamite Quote>.

Thanks for the link though, it was a treat. Do you have any info on the production..... Primarly the camer setup they used......

Thanks
Eli R Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #70

Eli,

Napaleon Dynamite - That's a GREAT movie. Here's a link where Kalani's movie was discussed. It was shot with a XL2.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=47777
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #71
Trustee

Quote:
Oh, was using Quicktime. The first time was 7.0.1 then I did an update to 7.0.2. I'm on a Mac G5 with OSX 10.4.2.

You'll need Media Player to view wmv's.

Click here and get it for OSX

To play media player files you'll need media player.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #72

Stephen,

Thanks for the link to the OSX version of Windows Media Player, but I've opened several .wmv files within Quicktime using Flip4Mac. I'd prefer not to download Windows Media Player at this time, so I'll try to find a PC with Windows Media Player on it Friday.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #73
Trustee

You probably can't view them in QT because they are encoded high definition files not SD. Until Friday, I've posted some DivX AVI's over on cow for another user. You should be able to open them up if you have DivX codec installed.

Here's the link

good luck
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #74
Major Player

[QUOTE=Nick Hiltgen]

But more to the point, Do a lot of people color correct off of the LCD displays? I was under the impression that it might be better to color correct off of a CRT.

Most likely, as nice as the panel Mac monitors are I liked my CRT cinema displays better for "viewing angle" purposes. They were just too old and bulky and, heh... they didn't look as cool as my flat panels!
But being a professional artist who works in Photoshop, Iluustrator, etc...accurate color is important in the monitor(s) I use.
Truly sad I could not seem to find a 23" without that pinkish cast. And this was only two weeks ago.
The 20"s will serve me fine for now.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #75
Trustee

[QUOTE=Eric Brown]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen

But more to the point, Do a lot of people color correct off of the LCD displays? I was under the impression that it might be better to color correct off of a CRT.

Most likely, as nice as the panel Mac monitors are I liked my CRT cinema displays better for "viewing angle" purposes. They were just too old and bulky and, heh... they didn't look as cool as my flat panels!
But being a professional artist who works in Photoshop, Iluustrator, etc...accurate color is important in the monitor(s) I use.
Truly sad I could not seem to find a 23" without that pinkish cast. And this was only two weeks ago.
The 20"s will serve me fine for now.
Yes you need to correct from a monitor or a very good TV that can be blue balanced. Now Sony's Xbrite HS94P and others like it mimic the phosphors of a CRT and you can blue balance them. Also you do most of your correction from the wave form, vector, histogram, lighning and cube in your color corrector and then check it against the monitor (and then back and forth). Same thing in photoshop using Histograph and other color graphs or using spot colors and pantone mixes in Quark or Illustrator. In this case you're usually legalizing the image against specified IRE settings as well as adjusting colors between cameras.

It's quite expensive schooling to learn all the ins and outs of color ;-)
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders