Canon XL H series -- various sample clips - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

i can do that.
any chance i could upload the footage to your imac account, so everyone can coment on the footage?
its about 120mbs.
this way, everyone can see the metor as it hits the hill side.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Jack,

That tracking footage with the armed men is awesome. Looks like a scence from a movie. If you have more stuff like that and close ups, please post. Again thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

The great thing about a removable lens system is you can take the spinner lens off and put on the 14x or 16x manual. Focus will be exact and responsive with that option taken......

pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Foley
I had a XL H1 over the weekend and we did some shots.

Man, how I hate and love this cam at the same time. I just can confirm what a lot of people have said here. In the field without a HD monitor it is almost _impossible_ to get the focus right. And with that wet noodle of a lense it _is_ impossible to keep focus on moving objects.

But. And this is a big but: if you get the focus right, this cam delivers footage that rocks you off your socks.

And not to mention the low light capabilities. Amazing, simpy amazing.

One one day we waited till the sun was down and did some "night" shots from our dolly. As we found out later, the cam's display showed the scenes much too bright (it was -5° and our fingers were too frozen to get the laptop running to verify the setup with DVrack). So the scenes are quite dark (ND 1/6 was on), the cam could have done much, much better. And if at least one of these shots would be in focus... dam*

Anyway. Here we go.

The sun is down.
http://fabforce.net/various/ViennaSunSet.m2t
The murder of crows is nice. Notice the CA on the funnel.

One last patrol.
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisClemensPatrol.m2t
I like how the last sunlight reflects on the tubes.

Dam* terrorists, take this!
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisFollow2.m2t
If one would add sound effects and remove the rails in post...

Alike shot from the side.
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisFollowSide.m2t
Notice that I nearly fall off the dolly at the end.

The shoot was a quicky so don't expect too much. But at least we had lots of fun.

Last edited by Michael Pappas; February 6th, 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Yeah, I'll email you. I've been busy again, but we'll get it done.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #19
Major Player

A new overcrank clip

Hey all,

Was down in SoCal this weekend and hung out with Mike Pappas down in Laguna Beach on Sat. We both shot with our H1's--his in particular was pimped with the manual 16x lens, which btw, looks awesome in HD. Different feel, contrast and even colorimetry than the 20x, and certainly worth every penny--again, even in HD, IMHO.

Ok, so here's a "overcrank" 720p h.264 QT clip from a pick-up game at the b-ball courts by the beach. Shot HDV 1080i with a fast shutter and converted down to 720/24p by the method I've described in past postings.

Let me know what you guys think...

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Barlow, anything i can do some effects on?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #21
Major Player

Darrell, I'll email you soon
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Barlow, this look really good. I assume this originated from HDV on tape, not captured via HD-SDI? Also, do you remember what shutter speed this was at?
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Hey John,

I believe I shot at 1/250 which I think was a little too fast as you might see the slightest deinterlace artifacts in the shot, but in my snow tubing shot, (1/100th) I couldn't see any artifacts. So, I think 1/100 to 1/180 might be the sweet spot for this method.

Sorry, yes HDV 1080i originated too. Captured HDV tape playback SDI-->DVCPRO HD 1080i-->converted actually to 10bit uncompressed 1280x72060p-->conformed to 720/24p Cinema Tools-->then rendered out high quality h.264 720/24p.

I did this to avoid an extra pass of DVCPRO HD compression when going down to 720/60p. It makes a very slight difference.
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #24
Major Player

H1/16x Manual lens footage

Hey all,

Wanted to share a few clips Michael shot with the H1/manual lens combo down at the hoops court at Laguna Beach. He was "going for an extreme look" pushing the color, but anyway, just a little desaturation in VLC (skin tones are nuclear) and the image has a nice pop. I think he was thrown off a little by the default LCD EVF settings, but he was going for a really warm look...and boy is it warm. They all look like nuclear survivors but this stuff at least shows a different look from the camera.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Barlow, did you happen to take my dvd with you when you went to LA?
would like to know what he thought if he has seen it.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Talk about a worm feel!
What suprised me is how well the image cleaned up.

http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/4549/image582ml.jpg

This was done in just a minute, I haven't 'fine tuned' it.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #27
Starway Pictures

I'm impressed with the quality of the 16x lens. It's hard for me to make a full judgment because of the extreme color correction, though.

But for a standard definition lens, it resolves quite nicely.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #28
Starway Pictures

L.A. Night - Available Light Test

In preparation for our rooftop sequences for a project we're shooting called THE TWENTY-THIRD LETTER, we wanted to see what the new camera's low light sensitivity was. We didn't bring any lighting equipment with us. Our goal was to shoot wide-open, +6db, 1/48th shutter and see what we got.

The weekend's rain storm was just coming in behind us. We only had about 40 minutes up there before it started precipitating. So it was difficult to get the buildings to look razor sharp as we were shooting through a lot of atmosphere.

We're now convinced that once we have our foreground talent lit appropriately, our backgrounds of Los Angeles will look phenomenal for this film-noir thriller.

http://starwaypictures.blogspot.com/
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #29
Starway Pictures

H1 - Full Moon & Cloud Timelapse Test

The full moon and clouds in So. Cal last night were phenomenal. So I couldn't resist the urge to grab the H1 and shoot some killer timelapse footage.

You can download some Quicktime's of the shots here:

http://starwaypictures.blogspot.com/
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #30
Major Player

f-in wow! That has to be one of the best things i've seen. The moon stuff was awesome, but the LA shots, better than collateral. Great stuff, i can't wait to see your work.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders