Canon XL H series -- various sample clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Does anyone have any H1 & Mini35 footage?

Hi. I'm becoming more and more interested in the H1, and I'm curious if anyone has any H1 footage, using the P&S mini35 adapter?

I have two mini35's for the HD100 & the Z1, with Canon EF lenses, and a Zeiss Super Speed 50mm coming any day. I wasn't even going to look at the H1, but the field reports and initial footage is quite compelling. I'm anxiously awaiting the HVX like everyone else as well... I promised myself I wasn't going to buy 'one of every camera' this year, but it's starting to look like it could go that way.

Please let me/us know if there's any mini35/H1 footage out there (especially with Zeiss Super Speeds) to audition, both 60i, 24F, or whatever you've got.

Thanks very much as always,

Shawn Alyasiri
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

A guy named Nick Hiltgen (hope I spelled it right) has done a test.

You should read this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57376

In short: from what I've read (not seen the footage myself) there were some soft spots, but Nick said this was more the fault of the operator then the camera.
And I think they are still busy with uploading some footage.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Major Player

tomorrow I will do some shooting with mini35 and post them. So if you have any specific request, you want me to shoot for demonstration, I would be more than glad to do so.

So take this opportunity, I can shoot whatever all you here will ask.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old January 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Levan.

Nothing specific - I'd love to see anything you decide to shoot, assuming it's the H1 with the mini35. If you have a Zeiss super speed 50mm (or whatever), even better. Would love to see rack focus with people, landscape, motion (cars, etc), and anything you wanted to try.

As far as modes, would love to see 24F, 60i, and anything else you want to throw around. Just getting a sense of how soft it is, the look overall, and comparisons to the Z1 and HD100.

Thanks for your generous offer and help - We all appreciate this very much!

Shawn
Old January 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Some city scape H1 clips...

Hello everybody,

I've got a few clips of the SLC at night. Just a little more to chew on.

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Barlow,

Thanks very much for the clips - very helpful and most appreciated.

Can you please tell us a bit about the settings as you shot them?

Specifically, if you were wide on the lens, mid way, zoomed in, plus any gain settings you were using.

Thanks very much again,
Shawn
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #7
Major Player

wide, -3db, aperture fairly wide open on all.
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Barlow.

I figured it was wide - Obviously I don't have the camera, but in reading these posts I believe that's at f/1.6?

That seems like a decent amount of picture coming in at -3db - unless for some reason it really wasn't 'that dark' out there...

My biggest concern with the camera (from the initial spec sheet) was the drop in the lens from f/1.6 - f/3.5, based on the zoom, especially when shooting darker scenes. Based on the footage from you and others, it seems to do pretty well indeed. I'd also want to use it with the mini35 adapter, so I'm trying to get a sense of the camera overall (with/without the mini).

Would love to see any future clips zoomed in, using gain (say 6, 9 even 12-15db) - just as an acid test. I figure I would want to use the H1 for special/live events as well and would like to get a sense of what it can do in challenging environments. Hate gain as much as anyone - just curious what is an acceptable setting on the H1 when you're in a pinch. The Z1 does pretty well at 9-12db.

Again - thanks very much for your post and footage. I'm really considering one now. I also have the HD100 and the Z1 - I guess I can have my own shoot outs soon enough.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #9
New Boot

How do I view the quicktime clips ?

I'm new to video having come from a stills background.

I downloaded some of the quicktime clips posted by Michael Pappas but could not play them as I don't seem to have the correct codec or something.

Could someone please advise me how to get these clips into a format I can play and import into After Effects ?

Many thanks

Geoff

www.gtimage.com
Geoff Tompkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #10
Major Player

what version of Quicktime do you have?
You may need a later version.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #11
New Boot

thanks andrew

Yep that was it

Installed version 7 and everything is okay - thanks

Geoff
Geoff Tompkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

A Special Thanks, Barlow

Barlow, just wanted to say a special thanks for posting the footage.
i took one clip and did a color correction, toneing down the red on carlos face.
on the second clip i toned down the brightness in the snow.
on the third clip, i changed the clip into a night time shot, added a few stars and just to top it off, i threw in a metor as it crashes into the hill side.
its been a fun weekend.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks, Darrell. Glad the footage has been helpful.

Any chance you could post a few frames?
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #14
Regular Crew

After Dawn Shot

I had a XL H1 over the weekend and we did some shots.

Man, how I hate and love this cam at the same time. I just can confirm what a lot of people have said here. In the field without a HD monitor it is almost _impossible_ to get the focus right. And with that wet noodle of a lense it _is_ impossible to keep focus on moving objects.

But. And this is a big but: if you get the focus right, this cam delivers footage that rocks you off your socks.

And not to mention the low light capabilities. Amazing, simpy amazing.

One one day we waited till the sun was down and did some "night" shots from our dolly. As we found out later, the cam's display showed the scenes much too bright (it was -5° and our fingers were too frozen to get the laptop running to verify the setup with DVrack). So the scenes are quite dark (ND 1/6 was on), the cam could have done much, much better. And if at least one of these shots would be in focus... dam*

Anyway. Here we go.

The sun is down.
http://fabforce.net/various/ViennaSunSet.m2t
The murder of crows is nice. Notice the CA on the funnel.

One last patrol.
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisClemensPatrol.m2t
I like how the last sunlight reflects on the tubes.

Dam* terrorists, take this!
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisFollow2.m2t
If one would add sound effects and remove the rails in post...

Alike shot from the side.
http://fabforce.net/various/DollyChrisFollowSide.m2t
Notice that I nearly fall off the dolly at the end.

The shoot was a quicky so don't expect too much. But at least we had lots of fun.
Jack Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Jack, thanks for all the footage. Good for the people who're still in search of a motivation whether or not to buy the Cam.

About the focusing, I've experience with the XL 1 since 1998 and true, the focussing isn't as easy going as with a standard broadcast lens. But, again, in my experience, you can certainly get used to it. At the moment I'm shooting a TV show almost completely hand held with both the XL1 and the H1 in HD mode. after al those years focusing goes without any problems. Specially now with the handy peaking-mode on de H1, which works perfectly.

Last edited by Vincent Rozenberg; February 6th, 2006 at 06:38 PM.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders