JVC Fujinon 16x v. Canon Manual 16x XL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Fujinon 16x v. Canon Manual 16x XL

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of these two lenses? Which has the sharper glass, weight, breath, etc.

I wonder how sharp an XL H1 w/ the 16x manual compares to JVC's stock Fujinon lens.

Thanks!
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #2
Trustee

I've owned both the Canon Manual Servo 16X lens and the old 14X Fujinon Manual lens (same one that comes with the older JVC GY-DV500U and Pansonic AJ-D215 bodies and professionally converted to Canon XL bayonet by Optex) and it would be hard to spot footage shot with both, although the Fujinon is slightly softer at the extreme wide setting. However, if pushed I would give the nod towards the Canon, not only for the slightly better image quality, but more so for the much superior handling (even though the Fujinon is much smaller and lighter than the 16X Manual, and even lighter than the Canon 14X Manual).

The 16X Canon Manual Servo is a lovely lens to use.

The Fujinon 16X HD lens packed with the JVC GY-HD100U I haven't tried, and I would expect be an improvment on the older SD 14X Fujinon, although I've still heard a lot of reports of some softness at the wide end (Will Holloway in his review, for example, sites the 16X Fujinon lens on the GY-Hd100U as having soft edges).

The much more expensive Fujinon 13X lens has received much better reports with sharp images throughout the frame.(It would be interesting to view a comaprison between the new Canon XL 6X HD lens and the Fujinon 13X lens).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders