XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2002, 08:39 AM   #136
Obstreperous Rex

You might want to call K&H in Vermont (they make the PortaBrace line) at tel. (802) 442-8171 and ask for Scott Swinarton or John Fairley. If they can't answer this question directly, they'll point you to someone who will. Let us know what you find out,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2002, 08:47 AM   #137
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Phillip,

Actually yes, the audio tracks on the XL1 and other DV camcorders are recorded discretely, separate from each other, and you can re-mix them in post as long as the levels are right when you recorded them (not too high, not too low).

To make sure your audio is in an acceptable range, you'll want to watch the audio levels meter on the camera and adjust your levels accordingly.

The MA100 allows for two XLR inputs, but the MA200 allows for four XLR inputs. A separate mixer gives you some more flexibility... if you have four XLR audio sources but you don't have an MA200, then you can use the mixer to get all four sources to the camera. However the mixer may only have two channels of output, meaning when the audio is blended in the mixer, it's that way for good. You can play with the levels but you can't change the mix.

However having a separate mixer is one way to use multiple audio sources and still record in two-channel 16-bit audio on the XL1 instead of four-channel 12-bit audio.

16-bit audio is DAT quality; 12-bit is CD quality. To some folks this is a big deal but to others it isn't. You should guage for yourself and choose what you need. Hope this helps,

Old March 9th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #138
dialisproductions

Thanks for the message. I phoned yesterday and I was told that mxc-32 case most definitely won't fit the FP-33 mixer, but the mxc-33 case will fit the FP-32A and Fp-33 mixer. The Fp-32 mixer is slightly different in dimensions.
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:38 AM   #139
dtnelson66

Sakar batteries

i saw some posting about Lenmar batteries. Has anyone tries Sakar batteries. I've seen some that claim to last 6 hours (BP-941L for around $219.99) and one that lasts 4.5 hours (BP-930L for around $139.99).

If anyone has tried these batteries, do they hold ther charge well? What about memory and total life of the battery?
Old March 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #140
Major Player

I've had the bp941L for 20 months- love it - no problems. I think I bought it from NYC for around $129. send all of them an e-mail requesting price and shipping
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM   #141
dtnelson66

Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #142
dtnelson66

built in ND filter?

I thought I saw something at one time about the XL1/XL1s having a built-in ND filter (of sorts). But now i can't seem to find any info to confirm that. Am I confusing it with the Sony VX2000 (another camera I've had even more experience with) or am I completely loosing my mind.

Derrick
Lompoc, CA
Old March 11th, 2002, 02:48 AM   #143
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Your recollection is correct...kinda. The XL1/XL1s' 16x auto lens has a ND filter built-in. It's not a function of the camera body.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:53 AM   #144
Obstreperous Rex

See the XL1 Watchdog FAQ at www.dvinfo.net/xl1faq.htm and also The XL1 Skinny and XL1S Skinny at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- hope this helps,

Old March 11th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #145
_redone_

oops!

This may stray from away from the usuall topics but..

has anyone ever droped their xl1 yet???

I dropped mine last weekend....nothing major but i noticed that
the inside lens plate popped off alittle in the side..

just some screws came half way out which in turn had to screw them
back in. ,..also decided to play it and see if it still worked..

the funny thing is it gave some pixelated image mess for the first 5 seconds
and then played fine there on out. everything worked fine after that but whew!, i though dropping my cell phone was bad untill now.

just incase..does cannon still repair XL1's now that they have the XL1's??
if so how do i go about sending it in for repair if i ever drop it again...?
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 05:48 PM   #146
Quantum Productions

Yes they do as I just got my XL1 back from Canon not long ago. I'm sure they always will.

As for dropping your XL1......DOH!
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:28 PM   #147
Regular Crew

DV to Beta SP or DVCPRO (for example)

I do not have the ($) capability to take my dv into DVCPRO via firewire. I'm left with s-video or composite. I know the deck I record on to is a whale of an expensive deck, so I assume it has decent (not consumer) filters to make a nice transfer via the analog inputs.

Does anyone have any insight into whether I should use one over the other? It seems that some places use the composite plugs whereas I would think that s-video would be the way to do it.

Does anyone know if the firewire input board on Pana DVCPRO decks allow a clean transfer? I know that from D8 to DV and vice/versa is fine. So is it safe to assume that if the rec. deck (dvcpro) had the firewire input, that I could do a straight transfer?
Old March 12th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #148
Major Player

Leaving battery on camera

Canon makes it very well known that you shouldn't leave you battery on your camera if you're not using it because it will drain you battery.
Well I think if you keep on taking off and putting on the battery directly to the camera , you'll probably have to replace the camera body because something is sure to break.
SOLUTION: 1) get the MA-100 2) get the CH-900 dual charger/holder with part # DC-915 which connects the Charger Holder to the side of the camera (included with CH-900)
Go to Radio Shack.
Pick up a one wire on/off switch (2 to a box $1.98)
and a small black plastic box 1 1/2" W by 2" L by
1/2" H ($1.78) Cut one of the wires on DC-915, solder to on/off switch, use dremil to cut out hole for switch, close to one side, drill holes in each end of plastic case to fit wires in & out. RESULT: you can now leave a battery on camera, turn off switch and store camerain case always ready to use.
without draining battery or camera transport system taking a beating..
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2002, 08:42 AM   #149
AnthonyS

L2 and XL lenses

I have the Canon L2 and im wanting to upgrade to the Canon XL

digi cam.I have several L2 lenes. I was wondering if the lens

mounts are the same for the L2 and XL cams, and will the L2

lenes work on the XL with no problems.
Old March 13th, 2002, 06:42 PM   #150
Obstreperous Rex

No. See the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- go to Articles Menu > Lens & Optics > Can I use a VL Series lens on my XL1? by Don Palomaki.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog