XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 8th, 2002, 02:21 PM   #211
Wrangler

Aft tally lamp cover missing

Gah!

The black-translucent tally lamp cover on the back (handle) of my XL1S is gone! It must have been poorly glued-on, and popped right off during transport. It wasn't in my Porta-Brace bag, and I can't find it on the floor anywhere. I'm concerned that my XL1S is made more vulnerable to the elements now that this new aperture has exposed the innards. Has this happened to anybody else? Do I have to send the whole thing back in now?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM   #212
Major Player

Hello,

I'll bet you'll never find it brcause more than likely it's inside the handle. If you call the canon club and then have them put you thru to repairs, they may confirm my suspicion.

If thats the case you may wish to cover it ( the opening that is, with opaque scotch tape)

If nothing else it will keep out the dirt and rain.
Hope it works.
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2002, 03:10 PM   #213
carloortu

Radio mics and inputs

I am using the XL-1 for the first time very soon and I am somewhat confused by my choice of audio inputs. I plan to use two radio mics and the onboard mic for back up. The camera I am using has a beechbox ( I think) which is an adapter that allows me to plug in two XLRs and therefore the radio mics. Coming out of this box are two mini jacks. Now, I have turned the camera to '12 bit ST-1,2' and I'm thinking of plugging the two mini jacks into Audio 2 so I record two mono channels of sound on this input and the onboard mic on Audio 1. Is this the correct thing to do or is there a better way of recording good quality sound onto this camera.
Thanks
Carlo
Old April 9th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #214
Major Player

Carlo - If you are using a BeachTek adaptor designed for the XL1, it should connect directly to the Audio 2 inputs (RCA connectors). If the adaptor is designed for a different camera, it might have a miniplug that would require modification or miniplug -> RCA splitter to work. Otherwise, your approach sounds fine.

When monitoring your output with headphones or analog outputs, be aware that you can select Audio 1, Audio 2 or Mixed via the Audio Monitor button.

Chris has a very good four-part article on XL1 audio on the Watchdog site. (http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm) Select the Articles Menu.
Old April 10th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #215
tsander1

Canon Xl1 training video?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good video on the xl1?

Thanks,
Tom
Old April 11th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #216
wolftech

get photos trouht firewire?

i just want to know if its possible to get the photos on hd by the firewire. (without buying the card adapter)
I have the xl1
thanks
Old April 11th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #217
ucsbgaucho

Using video lens on normal photo camera?

Is it possible to take the standard Canon 16x lens for the XL1 and use it on a normal photographic camera? The only problem is my camera is a Nikon, so the lens does not fit directly. But if using the lens IS possible, are there standard adapters available that would work to hook it up?! The lens is great compared to what I have for my camera now, in terms of F-stop and focal length.
Old April 11th, 2002, 04:48 PM   #218
Major Player

I'm pretty sure that a photo camera would not be able to operate the 16x lens; although wait until someone who knows comes along and confirms/corrects this until you take my word for it.
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 07:15 PM   #219
Warden

Hi,

No it is not possible to use a canon video lens on a 35mm still camera. The XL1 for example use 1/3 inch chips. This is much smaller than 35mm film. The circle of coverage would only fill a small portion of the 35mm film. 35mm lens work on video cameras because even on a 2/3 inch chip they have excess coverage.

The center of a lens is always the sharpest and best corrected for optical deficancies. This can provide stunning video images using 35mm lenses. But they provide a 7.2X magnification (on 1/3 inch chip) which make them usefull for few endevors other than nature work and such.

Jeff Donald
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #220
Capt. Quirk

Time lapse sunrise

Hello all-
I am new to this group, as well as videography. I have been editing for years, but now find myself on the other end quite frequently.

My question; Will doing a timelapse sunrise damage my new XL1S? What is the best way to maximize the images, while reducing any hazards to the camera?
Thank in advance,
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 09:58 PM   #221
Trustee

Shooting sunrise/sunset is perfectly safe. To be sure though turn your gain down to -3db, and use a polarizing filter on the lens. The polarizer will cut down the light 2 stops and it will also saturate the colours.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 10:06 AM   #222
RED Code Chef

I'd also put in the ND filter first, just to be safe... You can put
it off if to few light hits the CCD. And close down your lens
as much as possible.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:18 AM   #223
Regular Crew

NAB was fun...

Hi Chris,

Nice to finally put a face with a name. Wish we could have spent more time, but in any case it was nice to meet you. Also, a quick howdy to Ashly Guy. Was nice to share a limo with you. Hope all the parties went well.

Coolest things I saw:
- Canopus Procoder
- AVID Express 3.0 was nice
- After Effects upgrade had some nice added tools
- Good DVD information in the Sands Hall

Most valuable tip:
- Talked to Premiere about that dang Adobe Online coming up and ruining captures, renders, and what not. FINALLY, got an answer without having to pay tech fees. Simple as deleting the Folder. Also ended up with a good technical managers name to send in suggestions.

Anyway, had fun and did meet a bunch more people.
Old April 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #224
Sponsor: JET DV

What do you mean by this question? You have to have a firewire connection to connect to the XL-1. If you have the firewire connection, you can capture video from the XL-1 consisting if however many frames you need - including 1. So, what do you mean by: (without buying the card adapter)?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 02:11 PM   #225
Regular Crew

Anyone using MARzPAK?

Hi there,

Guys if someone got a MARzPAK? could you gimme an hoest opinion abt it and how it fares to similar in function support products?

I'm considering bying it, but would like to hear opinions before shelling out 400$ for it.

TIA
Kairat
Kairat Salikhov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog