XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM   #76
Wrangler

Photo mode is a freeze-frame for 6 seconds with sound. About 704x480 pixels. Good for web sites and informal newsletters.

Frame movie mode if you want video that approximates the temporal feel of film.

Each mode has its place, but is not a substitute for a digital camera if you are looking for high quality, enlargable stills.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #77
dmorgan99usa

XL-1 video noise during slow frame playback.

XL-1 Community

I edit with the XL-1 in Final Cut Pro 3, I noticed during Log and Capture mode I see video artifacts in the capture screen on the video being displayed (On the Mac). Occasionaly small multi colored video lines appear in the top of the screen. The recording modes all work fine, It is in the freeze frame mode where the computer is actually sending the Jog commands to the camera, where I see this anomaly. I thought my recording head might be dirty. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
Dennis
Old February 13th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I don't think that is anything to worry about. DV is not known for its ability to change directions smoothly and play backwards and forwards in multiple speeds without a hitch. If it just happens when your are "searching" the tape at higher or slower than normal speeds and when you change the direction of the search on your tape, then I wouldn't be worried.

Now please send me a free copy of Final Cut Pro 3. I have FCP2. :)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2002, 07:19 AM   #79
vuduproman

How do I clean the XL1s - body, lens, etc.

I just came from the caribbean on a shoot and want to know how to clean the XL1s - body, lens, etc. It's not visibly dirty, but there was a lot of dust in certain areas. What is the best way to clean the lens under normal circumstances? Also, is there some type of camera cover that can minimize dust and dirt accumulation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Gilbert Labossiere
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:23 AM   #80
Major Player

Hi Gilbert,

I often shoot in extremely dusty conditions and use a PortaBrace rain slicker to protect the camera. So far it seems to be doing a very good job. There are other solutions discussed elsewhere on this forum that you might want to consider.

I'll let someone else address the best cleaning methods since I could use advice there as well.
Old February 17th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #81
Regular Crew

XL-1s Audio playback Hiss ????

Unfortunatly I placed this question in the wrong area and got no resplies. So please excuse me.

I looked on the net for any problems with the XL-1s and noticed some people said they had encountered an audio hiss on playback. I realize input is important to put it mildly, but who knows if output is a problem. I have an XL-1 and wouldlike to get the XL-1s and would like to know of any problems and of course the best price. NTSC only
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 03:31 PM   #82
seneman1

XL1s vs. IS II lens new purchase

I can't get the $3700 together to purchase a new XL1s with lens. If I can buy only either the XL1s body or the IS II lens, which will give me the most noticable image quality improvement: A new XL1s body with my old lens? Or a new IS II lens with my old XL1 body?

Thanks for your input,

Sam Eneman
Old February 18th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #83
Obstreperous Rex

The new XL1S body, since it has the newer, cleaner CCD block and the greatly expanded internal menu system with a variety of image controls.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #84
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I Heartily 2nd Chris' Suggestion

I have both an XL-1 and XL-1s and can absolutely say that the new CCD block (300,000 pixel chips -vs- 270,000 on the XL-1) make a notable difference in image quality all by themselves. The new image controls and power management options are also really nice to have.

In comparing the -1 with the -1s using the 14x manual lens on both I was surprised by the difference in scenes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 01:20 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Solar charger, need power info?

Hi
I'm looking at using a flexible solar panel to trickle charge my XL1 batteries. I've been told it's easy enough but I need to find out the spec on the Canon car battery chargers cb 900 or cb 910, such as the input voltage range and current requirement. Can anyone help, this is rather urgent as i only have 2 weeks before leaving for Cambodia so I'm hoping I can work this out rather than take a mountain of batteries.
Cheers all
Allan
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 11:24 AM   #86
New Boot

I use one. I have a Nikon FE2 and I have invested alot lenses.

So I bought the adapter for my XL1 and it works great.
The only thing you deal with is the manual operation of the focus and the " no lens " flashes on the view finder, but it works fine.

I get some good images from 300 mm ED f4 telephoto.
Richard Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 02:28 PM   #87
William Thomas

Making timecode dubs

Is it easy to use the RCA analog OUTs to run to a VCR and make a "window" dub while shooting?

(This is for video depositions for legal cases.)

Does the video out carry the timecode or counter numbers to the external deck without burning them to the DV tape inside the camera?

Many thanks!!!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 02:54 PM   #88
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: Making timecode dubs

<<<-- Originally posted by William Thomas : Is it easy to use the RCA analog OUTs to run to a VCR and make a &quot;window&quot; dub while shooting? -->>>

Yes it is, at least with respect to the XL1/XL1s. It's a bit easier with the XL1s since you don't have to confound the power saver timer by leaving a tape unloaded.

<<<-- Does the video out carry the timecode or counter numbers to the external deck without burning them to the DV tape inside the camera? -->>>

No, your VHS deck will burn it's own time onto the tape as it records.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 04:38 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Mic opinion

I've been given a Sony C76 mic to use as a second mic. It sounds OK but not what I would expext for a mic that costs 1110.00 new. And it's big and bulky....

However, the guy who owns it asked if I'd give him 75.00 for it, not bad for a back up. It has a funky looking windscreen that clip mounts on a shotgun type pistol grip and a case.

Any thoughts?
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 10:43 PM   #90
robertab

Mic repair?

My mic clamp has a broken hinge... the top portion or Canon's description: "microphone clamp" which is not part of the viewfinder but houses the tightening screw is what I need for the repair. Super duper glue was not the answer. Can anyone put me on track to obtain this part?

Thanks from a new member!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog