FU-1000 monochrome B&W CRT viewfinder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 8th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

You can dial the color out of the VariZoom monitors. And you can connect that monitor to the XL1 via the RCA composite video output jack, and connect say a pro Sony PVM 14" monitor via the S-video output jack. No problem having two monitors hooked up.

Also, you can use the CH-910 dual battery holder *without* the MA-100 or other shoulder support. The dual battery holder comes with a belt clip and a long cable for the power coupler. It's pretty versatile.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

B&W view finder

My new B&W view finder works fine when on a tripod but when hand held it falls down so I pull it up and it falls down, I do have the extender on the view finder. Is there a way to tighten it? Is that typical of the viewfinder or do I have a problem with mine?

Thanks Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:02 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,
When you say "it falls down" I assume you mean that the eyepiece flops down. If so, you'll find a gnurled thumbscrew screw on the bottom of the unit, labelled "Lock", that will tighten the eyepiece's rotation.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Eurika! Thanks Ken!

Dan O.Bannon,

learning somthing new everyday
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:55 PM   #20

Your question was incredibly timely, Dan. I am preparing a review of the FU-1000 viewfinder for the Watchdog portion of this site. (Watch for an announcement here within the next week or so.) I just completed touching-up and annotating a photo of the bottom side of the unit when I read your question. No kidding!

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old February 22nd, 2003, 11:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Wow! I think I saw a twilight zone episode like that once. What a coincidence.

Looking forward to your review.

Thanks again, Dan
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #22
Major Player

B&W Viewfinder

Hey Ken, one thing you may want to include in your review is a WARNING! about always tipping the VF down when shooting outside. I moved from the camera for a moment on a sunset commercial shoot this fall and by the time I leaned back, there was a puff of smoke behind the glass and the dreaded burnt electronics smell. I immediately powered down, etc. We had to finish the shoot through smoked glass and later, very fortunately were able to disassemble the unit and clean the glass and CRT and, aside from an actual drop of melted something beside the mirror, it recovered fully. Youwch.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #23

Good tip Jim.

Indeed, there is such a warning on both the b&w and color viewfinders. Many have followed the path of the fried viewfinder. Someone actually makes an eyepiece hood that features a protective flap that covers the eyepiece when not in use. But, like so many well-intentioned devices it's apparently either poorly publicized or too much hassle to become popular.

Old February 25th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #24
Major Player

<<Many have followed the path of the fried viewfinder.>>

That's a very Zen-like warning to grasshoppers everywhere Ken.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Ken,

Do you have any contact or website listings for any of those companies that make protective viewfinder flaps?

Do you know if any of them are compatible with the FU-1000 Canon viewfinder?

-Craig
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #26

Craig,
Sorry, but I don't. I only saw such a device in a photo used in a different context. There were no details of the viewfinder cover provided.

Old February 28th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #27
Warden

Have you seen the Shuttered Eyepiece from Optex?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip regardless, Ken. I never knew a camcorder viewfinder was such a delicate piece of equipment.

No I hadn't seen Optex's eyepiece, Jeff. Thanks for the link! There doesn't seem to be any end to XL1 customization and improvement.

-Craig
Craig Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Ken has written a superb article for the Watchdog which covers this viewfinder in great detail. You can check it out right here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM   #30
Major Player

View Finder

I have an XL1s with a standard view finder, which I find a bit hard to focus with, especially with the XL1s soft image. I love the image, but the only thing I find I don't like is the viewfinder. I have the colour cranked right down, and that seems to help, but its still a bit annoying to use, especially in low contrast shoots.

Well with this in mind I have two questions to pose to all you out there:

1) Anyone know a way to improve standard viewfinder, or is it just a case to buy the better one or a good monitor???

2) I find the eye piece very prone to steaming up, especially if you get a little hot. The seems to be no really change from cold to hot area, so assume its just from hot sweaty eye area, Anyone out there know any little 'tricks' to avoid this? Or is it again a case of just using monitor? I ask cos I have used cameras in very hot, and very high humid areas, so even more extreme than what I refer to here, but I always had a monitor. So any 'tricks' or hints from the old schoolers in here would be great!!!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog