FU-1000 monochrome B&W CRT viewfinder - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM   #61
Regular Crew

yes i had that about a month ago. fuse burned. i replaced the fuse, its quite easy.
but i still have another problem. my picture rolls down very fast and gets slower and slower until it stands still but before it stands still it takes 5-10 minutes of rolling picture. my cam is pal but viewfinder is ntsc labled. looks like the syncronisation chip isnt able to syncronise correctly :-(
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:50 AM   #62
New Boot

Were you somehow able to replace the fuse yourself or did you have to send it into Canon? If the former, how'd you do it? If the latter, what was Canon's turnaround time and how much did it cost?
Sorry to hear about the scrolling issue. Can Canon fix tthat for you?
Tripp Stapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 04:43 PM   #63
Regular Crew

no i cant fix the scrolling myself :-( when i would have a technical plan of the viewfinder i could give it to a friend who looks at it and could say me if he could do it himself. im not even sure if its a bug or just because its a ntsc labled version and i have a pal cam.
when its the fuse, you dont need to send it in when you dont have warranty for it anymore. its easy to fix. i havnt done it myself (cause i have 2 left hands) but my cousin did it and i watched it and he isnt a pro either (but knows how to do easy things).
open the adapter (not the viewfinder !) you will find written on the board F101 A1,25 V125, that the fuse you need to buy - 50 cent. then remove the old one (its over the written F101 and looks like a U but the other way round) and solder the new fuse in. et voila - working again. dont remove any cables while the viewfinder is on, it burns the fuse instantly.
but of course, youre doing it on your own risk, i just tell you what i did and it works for me ;-)
ask a friend who owns a solder thing and who has a bit knowledge using it and thats fine for the burned fuse.

Elmar
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM   #64
New Boot

Great, thanks for the info.

How did you know that that fuse was blown to replace it. I'm looking at it now and it looks ok. I guess I don't know what I should be looking for.

Where did you find the fuse? I went to Radio Shack and they didn't have anything like it. I've scoured the web and found a "Zenith F101 Fuse" at Partsolver.com, but don't know if it's the one I'm looking for.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:17 PM   #65
Regular Crew

hmmmm... i dont know what it is called in the USA... we have big electroshops here who sell everything that amateur constructors need to build/fix.
im 100% sure you have something like that in the bigger cities or as internet shop. i dont know what the f101 is meaning, but it must be A1,25 V125 or compatible solder fuse
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:49 PM   #66
New Boot

Could you tell by looking at the fuse that it was blown? If so, how?
Old July 4th, 2004, 06:52 AM   #67
Regular Crew

no a friend used a measuring tool and measured the if energy flows. no energy flowed so the fuse was burned
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #68
Wrangler

Tripp,

The F101 is just a part designator number. It has nothing to do with the acutal fuse. The fuse rating you are looking for based on Elmar's reply is a 1.25 AMP 125V fuse. Since I don't own this viewfinder, I can't tell you what the fuse phyically looks like. Might be best to take the unit with you to Radio Shack and see if the store clerk can match it for you.

To check the fuse, un-solder one side and use a volt-ohm meter to check it. You can buy a cheap one at Radio Shack. It will have an analog meter that shows maximum resistance on the left side and minimum resistance on the right side. A small thumbwheel or knob allows you to 'zero' the meter while touching the meter leads to each other. Full scale deflection will change depending on the scale you select and the condition of the battery.

If you aren't comfortable un-soldering and soldering, get someone to help you. You can burn the traces off the printed circuit board if you overheat it.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:46 PM   #69
Regular Crew

FU-1000 Viewfinder...won't work with AB batteries?

I just read this in a customer review of Canon's FU-1000 B&W viewfinder;

"One of the most troublesome aspects of the unit is the necessity for the battery adapter which locks onto the XL1/XL1s in place of the battery, then your battery locks into that adapter. The adapter is EXTREMELY sensitive and does not tolerate anything but Canon batteries. I ended up sending mine in for warranty service after the very first time I used it in the field as it had stopped powering the viewfinder completely. The techs tell me that the AC adapter and most third power batteries (including the Anton Bauer QR-XL1C) cause the battery contacts' connections to the board to overheat and burn-out."

Is this true, or for that matter a common occurence? Any opinions would be great as I was planning on getting the viewfinder for my XL2 with Anton Bauer setup.

thanks,

Oliver
Oliver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:06 AM   #70
RED Code Chef

Oliver, I've moved your thread from the XL2 forum to the XL1
forum since there are a lot more people here who have experience
with the FU-1000 than over in the XL2 forum.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:06 AM   #71
Regular Crew

thanks Rob, my only concern though was that perhaps compatibility issues between the XL1/S and the viewfinder might be different than with the XL2, and so it would make more sense to post in the forum relevant to my camera.

thanks,

Oliver
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #72
RED Code Chef

It is the same viewfinder, you are correct in that it is attached a
slight bit different to the XL2 (the XL2 has a special port for the
FU-1000, which I think is for the power).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #73
Wrangler

Yes, the FU-1000 runs on 9v, so the adaptor steps up the nominal 7.2v XL series battery to provide this voltage. The multiple pins also provide a variety of other functions of the viewfinder (tally light indicator etc). I'm still trying to isolate which wire does which for a mod I'm making--anyone that can locate a wiring diagram, please chime in!

The XL2 does away with the nonsense of the adaptor by providing a built-in jack that directly services the FU-1000 and provides it power, video and the other functions.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Great thanks guys. So just to confirm:

XL2
+
FU-1000
+
Anton Bauer batteries
=
no problems?

thanks,

Oliver
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Canon Reps will tell you that any use of "Non Canon" power supply will void the warranty if you have a problem. That's the official line. I know, I just heard it.

The FU 1000 has it's own plug on the XL2, seperate from the color viewfinder port. This is better than the xl1 because it frees up the battery compartment so you can use the AC adapter.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog