Canon 3x wide angle lens questions - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #166
Major Player

3x Lens broken

I'm bumping up this *really* old thread because this just happened to me. Now, I ALWAYS power down my camera before changing lenses because I heard the bad things that could happen. So, I don't know what happened this time.

I was in the same situation, I was firing up the camera for the first shot of a full-weekend shoot, and I got a "check lens" warning on screen. After that, I had no zoom, iris, or focus controls. When the camera would power up, I'd be stuck with whatever the auto-iris would pick for that instant, then it became unadjustable. Luckily there was a rental house that had an extra 3x lens available otherwise we would have been screwed. (Filming in a small motel room with just a 20x and 16x lens just wouldn't have worked)

So, I guess I'll be calling a Canon service center tomorrow. @#$%#@!
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #167
Trustee

Webb and others, it is not just the lens. You should power down when connecting the XL (or ANY camcorder) to the deck, or even the deck to the computor. You should always power down whenever connecting two peices of electrical equipment. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM   #168
New Boot

Lens Hood for 3X Wide Lens

I just purchased a Canon 3x wide angle lens without a lens hood. I thought I checked it online and found it for $30 before I bought the lens. Now that I bought it I can't find any reference anywhere, even on Canon's website, to the hood for the XL 3x wide angle. I'm starting to believe I mistook a hood for an EF lens before...

Anyway, does anyone have a source/link to aquiring the hood or at least a part number before I spend an eternity on the phone with Canon?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg Drusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #169
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Drusjack
I just purchased a Canon 3x wide angle lens without a lens hood. I thought I checked it online and found it for $30 before I bought the lens. Now that I bought it I can't find any reference anywhere, even on Canon's website, to the hood for the XL 3x wide angle. I'm starting to believe I mistook a hood for an EF lens before...

Anyway, does anyone have a source/link to aquiring the hood or at least a part number before I spend an eternity on the phone with Canon?

Thanks,
Greg
I have purchased a replacement hood for the 16x manual lens ($62) directly from Canon. Just call 1-800-OKCANON and they'll get you to the right person.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #170
New Boot

Thanks!

I really thought Dealing with this over the pgone would prove to be a hassle. Particularly after wasting so much time trying to find the part online (which usually proves to be a piece of cake). Anyway, I got connected immediately to a parts person and she had the hood ordered and on it's way in a flash!

Real-person phone assistance, a real rarity these days.

Thanks again,
Greg
Greg Drusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #171
Major Player

What to Do if Your Canon 3x Lens Breaks

The unthinkable happened. A P.A. on a shoot dropped my 3x Lens.
Does anyone know the process of getting your lens serviced?

It was in a protective case, but it dropped from a high distance. The glass isn't cracked and I actually shot with it, but the focus ring is 100% jammed and won't rotate.

How long does it take to turn around a service job on the lens and how much does it usually set you back?
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #172
Wrangler

No insurance? Call Canon's toll-free number (800-828-4040 last I knew). They will give you details as to how/where to send it for service (probably Jamesburg, NJ, if you are in NY). Turnaround on XL1 is usually reasonably fast, 3-5 days plus shipping, do not have any reports on lenses but probably about the same. Cost will not be cheap, but no doubt less than a new lens.
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #173
New Boot

3x wide angle lens by Canon

Does the 3x wide angle lens by Canon have the fisheye distortion that you get with some of the cheap adaptors? Could someone post screengrabs somewhere for me to see? And how much wider does it get with the 3x? Like hom much percent? I just want to know because I am seriously thinking of investing! Screengrabs would be really helpful! Just want to avoid the rectilinear distortion of the fisheye lenses and cheap adaptors while getting as wide as possible at the same time! Any answers will be really appreciated! thanks!!!
Frank Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #174
Obstreperous Rex

For starters, see http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article38.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #175
Regular Crew

3X Wide Lens and lack of zoom/ DoF

I was thinking of getting the canon 3X Wide Lens but then realised that 3x zoom really isnt that much, so if I wanted to get a really good depth of field Im not sure that this lens would do the job.
Am I wrong?
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #176
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Grebby View Post
I was thinking of getting the canon 3X Wide Lens but then realised that 3x zoom really isnt that much, so if I wanted to get a really good depth of field Im not sure that this lens would do the job.
Am I wrong?
When you talk about a "really good depth of field" and if you mean a really shallow depth of field, then you are right! You need a long lens for the shallow depth. Back way out and zoom in for that effect.

Don't forget to open the lens up too! Use ND filters to allow you to open it wider. A good lens for shallow depth of field is the 16x manual. AT full zoom, you can open it up further than the stock 16x auto lens. I think it is a stop 1.6, but I'd have to check for sure.

Mike

PS: You will love the lens for close quarter shooting though!

MT
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #177
Regular Crew

im debating whether to get one or get a 16x manual lens.

Also, i know that the XL2 20x lens will work, but will the zoom/focus preset buttons work with the XL1?

oh and thanks for the speedy reply

Last edited by Richard Grebby; August 4th, 2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: a thanks
Richard Grebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #178
Inner Circle

Quote:

Also, i know that the XL2 20x lens will work, but will the zoom/focus preset buttons work with the XL1?

Sorry, I was adding the 16x manual reply while you were typing.

Mike
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #179
Inner Circle

Quote:

And, yes. The 20x works just fine with the XL1s.

OK, just tried the 16x and it opens up to F1.6 under under full zoom. The 20x auto goes only to F3.4. That's a good difference.

Mike
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #180
Regular Crew

hmm, sounds like the 16x is the best option. it also has the macro function too right?

Last edited by Richard Grebby; August 4th, 2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: update
Richard Grebby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog