Canon 3x wide angle lens questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 31st, 2002, 08:06 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, i'll search the forum later.

I like the idea of using the ef adapter with a 400mm lens to get the 2800mm as i have an interest in wildlife filming, was hoping one day to go on safari and take the XL1 with me and 2800mm would sound very useful.

Thanks

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #47
Wrangler

3x lens focus issue

The autofocus on my 3x lens doesn't work up close. At about a foot away, either set on AF, or using the push AF with AF off, it will focus in/out/in/out very quickly, like maybe 3 times a second? Manual focus works fine, and AF works fine when slightly further back. Anyone else have this "feature"?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:36 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Focus problem

Dylan,

While I can't give you a technical answer, from what I understand after using both the 16x ISII and the 3X, I think it has something to do with their ability to get depth of field.

I had the same problem with close up focus fron the 3X that's because it has the capability to get great depth of field fron great range and distance. I tried to play with the depth focus and got great footage shooting two objects that are about 15 meters apart. However when I tried to play with the depth focus in my tiny apartment, everything in the background looks focused and nothing looks focused up close.

You'll get similar problems from the 16X ISII they just don't seem to have the ability to focus when the object is extremely close to the lens.

That probably didn't answer your question but that's why I found from my experience.

Daniel
Daniel Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 04:07 AM   #49
Warden

All lenses have a minimum focus distance. It is measured from the CCD to the nearest object the lens can focus on. The minimum focus distance for the 3x is .5meters or about 20 inches. This is a limitation of lenses and optics and is controlled by Laws of Physics. This should not be considered a defect. It is also not related Depth of Field. Screw on close-up filters are available if you need to focus closer than 20 inches.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 10:34 AM   #50
Wrangler

Jeff, do you mean the focus or auto-focus?
I'm only talking about the AF, the manual focus works fine at the minimum (I thought a foot, but I guess it might have been 20"), but the autofocus hunts in and out constantly and won't work.
Old August 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #51
Warden

The distance is measured from the chip (CCD's) not the front element of the lens. Minimum focus distance is the same if your using AF or manual focus. AF will hunt and search in low contrast situations, when subject is very small and can't be picked out from background, low light levels etc. So, the bottom line is, this not unusual for macro work. Try increase the light level, putting something larger in place of the small subject (then remove and shoot once focus is locked) use an object with strong vertical lines (AF works better with vertical lines). Or you could just focus manually.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 01:44 AM   #52
Wrangler

I'll just focus manually. :)

Thinking back to location, the lighting was very low on the close up object, even though the rest of the room was well lit. I know the amount of light makes a big difference to the AF, but I just didn't think about it at the time. That's probably why it was behaving like that.
Thanks!
Old August 15th, 2002, 02:17 PM   #53
Regular Crew

0.6 Wide Angle (Century Optics) on the Canon 3X Wide Angle Zoom

Folks

I have an XL-1 with the standard 16x Lens. I also have the 0.6 Wide Angle from Century Optics attachment that goes in front of the 16X lens. Can this be also attached in front of a 3X wide Angle Zoom to create an even wider angle?

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #54
Major Player

Re: got my 3x lens today

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : After debating between a wide angle converter, or the 3x lens, I chose the lens. If for nothing else, it's got a great re-sale value on Ebay. :)
-->>>

Hey Dylan,

As you know I picked up Jim's 3x lens. I wanted to get your feedback on your 3x lens. Have you had a chance to shoot with it, if so tell me your impression.

Paul
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 10:25 PM   #55

Yes, I am pretty sure it will work fine without any vignetting, since it is a .6x adaptor.

Same thread size on the 3x as the 16x IS lens.

You may experience some vignetting if you place a sunhood on the front of the CO adaptor - I could try this out next week at WEVA and let you know.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 12:59 AM   #56
Wrangler

It's a great lens, I've used mine extensively and am very happy with it. The only drawback is it doesn't have quite enough zoom. 5x would probably do it, but 3x is just a little short for a lot of things, expecially if you don't have time to change back to the 16x.
Still, it's a valuable toy, er.. tool to have.
Old August 16th, 2002, 04:50 AM   #57
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : It's a great lens, I've used mine extensively and am very happy with it. The only drawback is it doesn't have quite enough zoom. 5x would probably do it, but 3x is just a little short for a lot of things, expecially if you don't have time to change back to the 16x.
Still, it's a valuable toy, er.. tool to have. -->>>

I saw mention that at full zoom (or was it the other way around) that there is a bit of a focus problem around the edges of the frame. Have you found that to be true?

Now the next lens you need to get is the 16x Manual Servo Lens. If you don't already have it!
Houston, Texas
Old August 16th, 2002, 08:57 AM   #58
Wrangler

Lack of zoom range: that points to the main benefit of a full zoom through converter, such as the Century. You get the 16x zoom range - and a bit more weight on the front of the 16x lens to go with it.

Some folks even run their GL1 with a 0.65x or 0.7x adapter left on full time.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #59
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : Lack of zoom range: that points to the main benefit of a full zoom through converter, such as the Century. You get the 16x zoom range - and a bit more weight on the front of the 16x lens to go with it.

Some folks even run their GL1 with a 0.65x or 0.7x adapter left on full time. -->>>

Don,

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but does adding the converter distort the image?
Houston, Texas
Old August 20th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #60
Wrangler

Regarding converters, there are several different makes on the market. I believe someone said they will give you distortion once you zoom past a certain point. If you do a search through this section, you'll probably find the post.

As far the the 16x manual goes, I think I'd probably opt for the 14x manual. I'd rather have on-lens iris control, and an extra $500 in my pocket. But if a good deal on the 16x lens came up, I'd probably take it. :)

Oh, I haven't noticed any soft focus at full zoom on my 3x.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog