Canon 3x wide angle lens questions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 21st, 2003, 08:41 AM   #76
Warden

If you can afford the lens, by all means, get it. It will provide the best wide angle shots for the XL1. It's as good as it gets, provided you understand the limitations outlined above. The 0.7 is a more affordable substitute but is not as sharp as the 3X WA. It also is not as well corrected and shows more barrel distortion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #77
Regular Crew

thanks for everyones advice! I was looking back into my days of schooling in photography where you could easily stop down to create greater DOF... that didnt necessarily give me the result I was looking for and instantly went to blame it on the new lens. However, my last shoot I did try shooting a mid-range aperature and concetrated more on the focusing and got some nice results back. BUT, I still stand by my guns when I say this lens is much more difficult to focus then the standard 16x is. I am hoping a new viewfinder down the road will help remedy that.

So now I feel much better about my $1200 purchase! I would not have been able to get the shots I did if it wasnt for this lens!

thanks guys,

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Hi Chris...

I use a Century 0.7 WA adapter and have it mounted on my 16x lens almost full-time. A lot of the shooting I do is at close range and I developed a habit of shooting wide from years of news photography.

The results are good. Not tack sharp, but definitely acceptable. It also allows me to use the full 16x zoom range, although the long-end of the lens is now 0.7 of the max focal length.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:42 AM   #79
Major Player

I got a 3x wide this week, practical for my needs as I'll always stay wide with it. I have not yet had a chance to really try it out for sharpness however, I'll give you my first impressions this weekend.
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #80
Regular Crew

I have actually done my third shoot with it and I can say I am happy with my purchase now. Still getting use to focusing it but my shots have come out perfectly these last 2 times.
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #81
Major Player

I still think , this lens is soft for the most part. It's possible to achieve focus, a decent one, but not razor sharp like on the 16x. They cut some corners with this lens.

It also only has one ND filter setting, which lies between too much for indoor and to little for bright daylight.

It's zoom and focus rings feel like they are digital. You can spin them 360 degrees and you never get a real feel of pulling focus. A rack focus nightmare.

You widest apeture is going to be 2.0/1.8

However, if you need to get a nice wide angle shot, this will do it for you. If you are far back enough, you will be able to get a decent shallow depth of field going.
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #82
Regular Crew

going price for used 3x wide lens for xl1s?

is $800 shipped considered a good price for a used, in good shape 3x wide xl1s lens?
Edwin Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 05:21 AM   #83
Major Player

I picked up my 3x lens for $900 brand new in box off E-bay
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #84
Major Player

Ken, was that from those Seaggie guys? Or Somewhere in NY/Brooklyn?

edit - My bad - JOHN :)
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:45 PM   #85
Major Player

Who is ken? i bought it from someone in brooklyn, ny
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #86
Wrangler

$800 seems a little high for a used one, especially off Ebay. I'd probably be more likely to spend $100 more and get a new one. Whichof course, may or may not be new...
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #87
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Threat : Who is ken? i bought it from someone in brooklyn, ny -->>>

Sorry John! I meant John. Sorry, I've interacted with so many K-names this past 2 weeks, I've got K on the brain. Appologies :)
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #88
Major Player

The one i got from ebay, and i know this doesnt happen everytime
was absolutely new and flawless. I seriously doubt it was ever mounted anywhere.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 05:13 PM   #89
Major Player

a Note for new 3x lens users

The 3x wide angle is a nice lens. There's one issue I thought you should know about. If you're planning on using screw-on filters, you can use a maximum of one if you're going full-wide. Since the lens zoom is fairly weak in magnification, most people will be using this lens wide anyways.

I shot video this weekend, and the results in Vegas show a nice circular masking over the corners where my polarizer was sitting. I did not see this in my viewfinder during the shoot (FU-500 colour) however, so just a friendly warning. :) Perhaps the colour viewfinder is just too small (both in physical size and resolution) to pick up small problems like that...

Using a single filter is fine, I had a UV filter on for protection, and it was a bright day so I threw on the circpol.... all my full wide's are problematic, I can cut and crop but damn.

Otherwise I'm enjoying my 3x.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:38 PM   #90
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's a good tip, Andrew. I've never tried to use more than 1 filter with mine, but I can certainly imagine how a stack would begin to vignette the image at wide settings. Using the "thin" models of filters, where available, may enable you to use two without causing trouble.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog