Cineform level problem: HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform level problem: HELP!

All of my Cineform NEO HDV files are suddenly in the computer RGB color space (0-255) instead of studio (16-235). The only thing I've done is updated to the latest NEO codec. I also updated one computer to Vegas 8.0c but I don't think thats the problem because I have another system with 8.0b and it is having the same problem. Both are using the latest Cineform NEO HDV codec. My scopes are set to Studio RGB.

I've tried uninstalling Neo and installing an older version to no avail. I'm on a major deadline and suddenly all of my levels are screwed up. Any ideas?

Thank you, Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Try this build of NEO HD http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/NHDb181.zip, NEO HDV is going on to be build later tonight. NEO HD should run fine for 15-days, until we get a new version NEO HDV to you.
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Major Player

David,

Thank you for the quick response. The problem is that I have already ran an evaulation of NEO HD on this computer and so I get the "sorry your evaluation period is over". I tried opening Vegas anyways with Neo HD installed and the options are greyed out in the render as box and more important the clip levels are still bad.

Any other ideas? I've already wasted most of the day with this and I'm on a major deadline.

Thanks, Marc
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The new NEO HDV is still an hour or two off, and it may not address the issue (although it should,) so why not return to your last install to finish your project. We did upgrade the color system in the codec in the last few minor builds, so seems to be not working for Vegas. I saw one hole in this that would impact Vegas only, that is what is being built now.
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO HDV 3.4.2.181 is ready http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/NHDVb181.zip
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #6

you posted twice here and twice on the vegas forum. the problem appears to be in vegas 8c, since Avid and Edius both report broadcast RGB with the cineform codec. something is very funky with vegas 8c release....no surprise.

why do you need to post this so many times?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Major Player

David,

That's the problem. I've tried uninstalling the new and re-installing my previous working version (3.3.1.169). It installs fine but when I go to render it always shows up as v3.9.6 which is the newest version. The old version showed up as (v3.8.2) in the Vegas render box. Also the levels of all clips on the timeline are still bad after reinstalling the old version. I've deactivated, deleted every Cineform entry in the registry and program folder I could find but to no avail.

Now since trying the install of NEO HD it shows up as 4.0.1 even though I've unstalled Neo HD and reinstalled the older version of Neo HDV. I also have no options (high, film scan etc.) available to me now. My system is totally dead in the water and it will take me days to transfer the 2 terabytes of files and do a reinstall. Is there any way to reset these codecs and get me back to the older working version of NEO???

Additional Information: I have ran the tests on two other computers using trial version of NEO. Both computers have problems with the new NEO and black levels. However both computers allow me to revert back to the older working version of NEO. My main system (the one registered with Cineform) will not revert back to v3.8.2 as explained above.

Thanks, Marc
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Major Player

"the problem appears to be in vegas 8c"

No it's not 8.0c as I've confirmed the problem on two other systems running 8.0b only.
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #9

have you rendered out to your delivery media a test clip to see if the "problem" carries all the way thru? Render a smpte color bar for a real test. I'm seeing changes in the behavior of the vegas preview window and scopes with the 8c release compared to the 8b release. i have never trusted the vegas preview window, as it's been quite wrong. right now, it looks to me like it might finally be working right.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Major Player

David,

I installed the new version but have the same problem. One thing: When I go to "render as" in Vegas it still shows the Cineform HD codec V.4.0.1 with all of the options greyed out. I uninstalled NEO HD and installed NEO HDV but for some reason it cannot see the NEO HDV codec. Is there any to clear out this codec and get back to the working version of NEO HDV without having to revert to a complete system re-install?

Thank you, Marc
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, you should have just ask for that in first place, rather post randoming all over the place, support could have told this.

Delete c:\windows\system32\cfhd.dll then install whatever version you like.

The new version should fix the issue.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #12
Major Player

David,

My apologies if I posted too much but I could not find a telephone support number on the Cineform website and your site says that a support ticket would be answered within 72 hours. Well, I did not have 72 hours and was in a bit of a panic. The current verison of NEO was broken and I felt others should be informed to avoid it and was also hoping to resolve this issue ASAP or at least find a workaround. So I posted on this and the Sony site.

Thank you for your prompt attention and resolution of this issue. Your company has great customer service and a fine product. Everything is back to normal now with the current build (BTW: When you start up HD Link the splash screen says Aspect for Premiere)

Regards, Marc
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Telephone numbers are under "About CineForm", but you are not the only one to miss that.

So build 181 does fix the RGB level?

Regarding the AspectHD splash, these where build it a rush remotely (I wasn't at the office during your panic) so there might a cosmetic glitch or two. These are betas.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Ok I'll note that about the numbers. Yes RGB is back to normal. Works great.

I understand on the splash just wanted to make sure you knew.

Thanks again, Marc
Old September 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks David and Cineform for the quick fix!

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase