Prospect/Neo 4 Problem Thread - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #76
Major Player

Wondering if there's any update on getting the ImporterProcessServer crash fixed? I do have several tickets open, but they have not been touched yet. Really need to get this going...

I'll try the CFHD.DLL thing above, and anything else. I have to get a DVD ready for Saturday, and need some way to export the video.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #77
Regular Crew

I've been testing for a couple of days with P4K and the CFHDDecoder.dll David posted (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1144271-post45.html). Before I installed the updated CFHDDecoder I had the ImporterProcessServer error all the time. Now I can edit a 2 1/2 hour sequence with 3 HD clips and effects for hours without crashing. I was also able to render out some of this video without a problem.

Try it and see if this addresses your issue!

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Cs4 export problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Babcock View Post

OK, editing has been going just fine. However I can't export anything. If I select File, Export, Media then AME comes right up, but when I hit Start Queue it hangs on Loading project. I tried choosing different export settings (CineForm AVI, MPEG2 Blu-Ray, etc.) but no difference.

If I close PP4 first and start AME from the menu then File, Add Premiere Pro Project, and click on the file it hangs there for about 8 minutes, then errors out.

AME Error log:

5/17/2009 8:18:40 PM : Encoding Failed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn
I had this same problem when I tried to export out from Premiere CS4. Premiere sends its exports out to Adobe Media Encoder then when you try to start the que, it would just hang at "Loading xx.prpj" and do nothing.

Well it appears this is an Adobe problem and not a Cineform issue. It seems to be unresolved bug when both CS3 and CS4 are installed or if CS3 is uninstalled and some of its files are still there. The 4.0.1 update doesnt fix this problem so we'll see the real solution in their next update.

But here's the fix:

1. Close all Adobe applications.

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to where you have Premiere installed (i.e. c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or c:\program files (x86)\... (under Vista 64). whereever you have Premiere CS4 installed.)

3. Right-click on Adobe Premiere Pro.exe (which might appear without the .exe extension) and choose Create Shortcut.

4. Rename the newly created shortcut to just Premiere. IMPORTANT: The name of the shortcut must be exactly "Premiere" with no other characters (not "Premiere.exe", not "Adobe Premiere.exe" Just "Premiere" with no ".exe".

5. Open a second Windows Explorer window, and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink. Under Vista 64 it will be C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\dynamiclink

6. Move the Premiere shortcut that you created into the dynamiclink folder.

That's it. Now try exporting from CS4 Premiere and after it outputs to Adobe Media Encoder, loading the project settings and rendering output should work.

Here's the link for the original Adobe Solution:

Error: "Encoding Failed. Could not read from the source" (Adobe Media Encoder CS4 on Windows)
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #79
Major Player

James,
I'm willing to try anything right now, but we're not having issues with the project loading in AME. We're having issues with CFHD files being processed by Adobe products with PHD 4.0.x installed. Timeline scrubbing, encoding, simply having the project open--all these activities cause the ImporterProcessServer to crash. If you remove CFHD from the mix, then there's no crash.

Since Cineform does not seem to be forthcoming with a fix, I think I'm going to have to try converting the project to M2T, which works beautifully without issue in CS4 on Vista64. I'm not sure the timecode will match up correctly, though. :( Surely I'll be able to finagle it through a bit of project importing, matching of up footage and cutting in the right place...

It'd been easier if I hadn't expected the initial release of PHD4 to work--if I knew it was still beta (or alpha, in this case), then I would've started out with M2T like with my just-completed project.

Thanks,
Matt
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Matt,

I am aware of the other issues with CS4 and Cineform. Just offering a solution fix for anyone else who might have CS4 export problems (which has been brought up by a few). I havent had the major problems with working within CS4, timeline scrubbing, effects, etc as it seems to be working on my end under Vista 64. So far I havent had any ImporterProcesserServer crashes either since the official update. (Just the install problems for CS3 but fixed it by removing those unnecessary files). But where ProspectHD support for CS4 stands now, I'm still using CS3 for any real work since the RT engine is still absent from CS4.
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #81
Major Player

James,
Thanks for the clarification.

It's just really frustrating. PPro 1.5 did what I needed until just recently. Doing more multi-camera work, and that's just a pain in something without a multi-camera view. Plus, CF won't support 1.5 anymore. So when I upgraded, to coincide with a new editing system, CS4 was what was available. Only, CF doesn't support CS4.

I don't really miss the RT Engine. First Light is a real coupe, in my opinion, for CF, and really obviates the need for in-NLE color correction (for me, right now, anyhow). My system is fast enough that CF files play real time, because I don't really use a lot off effects. Up until the ImporterProcessServer crash now, anyhow. I just want an importer that won't crash--I'm more than happy to wait on the rest if I can just edit & export.

I haven't retried the CFHDDecoder.dll thing again, yet, though, per Glenn's suggestion. That's next step--and then rebuilding the project as M2T.

Thanks,
Matt
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #82
New Boot

Hey guys,

I have found this a couple of months ago and it seemed to work for me, was when you have premiere loaded up, if you are working in a windows enviroment, then hold down on your Ctrl, Alt and Delete to bring up your Windows Task Manager. When you have that up, go over to the process tab and search through for the ImporterProcessServer file that is being used. Right click on that and go down to Set Priority, and then select High instead of normal on the list. Most computers don't have the memory allocation and power to do real time, but High should be enough that it will allow you to import the larger files. I have like 3 hours of footage and it allowed me to bring it all onto the timeline. See if that helps out?
Adam Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM   #83
Major Player

Well, the CFHDDecoder.dll thing didn't work. The export just froze. Worth a try, I guess. Setting ImporterProcessServer priority never worked, either, just for the record. ImporterServerProcess would just crash the encoder.

Back to M2T; hopefully I can get the colors right and get it rendered out in time....sure would be nice to be able to take advantage of First Light...

Matt
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:29 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Matt,

In my case it was two issues and two solutions; the posted ImporterProcessServer and the reinstall. James' solution may be a sub for the reinstall.

The way I knew the ImporterProcessServer fix worked is that I didn't get crashes while editing anymore. Is that much working for you?

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
I have a theory about some of these PP CS4 crashes and that they are being caused by the VFW version of the Cineform codec, CFHD.DLL. ...
I wanted to add something further to this. As many people have noted, in PP, there are two routes to render a CFHD AVI file. The Cineform-authored exporters (plug ins) use the DirectShow version of the codec, but PP also allows producing an AVI file with any compatible video codec installed on your computer and it apparently accesses the VFW version of the CFHD codec. My suggestion would be for everything except NEO Scene, to somehow block PP from using the VFW version of the codec, since its use is redundant and it may be the source of some of the crashes in PP.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase