CFHD Clips Missing from Trimmed Projects? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
Unfortunately, CS3 isn't presently an option for me on my Win 7 machine - I have the red upsidedown playback glitch with CFHD files. (Frustrating, because I had that combination working OK on a previous machine with different hardware).

So on balance, having no project trimming is less of a show-stopper than having no timeline playback. Hence my upgrade to CS4 yesterday. Sigh.
Unfortunately, the trimming issue IS becoming a real problem for me. I've got large projects that I would like to archive. And because of the circus-like compatibility minefield of CS3, Win 7, CS4, ProspectHD.... I have painted myself into a bit of a corner.

On the upside... I have been really pleased with Win 7. It's my first 64-bit experience, and it's truly a step up.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Trustee

"Painted into a corner" is how I feel too, this week, ... although David's post is encouraging.

For the past few months I actually had a fully stable CS3-based system running on XP 64-bit, with everything working as it should! So there is always that option. But I really, really like Win7 .... so I'm hoping that with a little more time the necessary fixes for it will arrive.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
For the past few months I actually had a fully stable CS3-based system running on XP 64-bit, with everything working as it should! So there is always that option. But I really, really like Win7 .... so I'm hoping that with a little more time the necessary fixes for it will arrive.
Graham.. have you tried the Virtual XP feature of Win7? Sounds like a good option for you on your upgraded machine.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Trustee

Sheeesh - my brain may expode trying to keep track of installing stuff across two co-running OSes!!

Nevertheless, that's an interesting idea. Downloading XPM now.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Sheeesh - my brain may expode trying to keep track of installing stuff across two co-running OSes!!

Nevertheless, that's an interesting idea. Downloading XPM now.
If I look to the East and see a plume of blue smoke over Knoxville, I'll assume things didn't go so well.

God speed.... Graham. Keep us posted!
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #21
Trustee

So I gave XPM (i.e. virtual XP mode) a very brief whirl. Very easy to install, and apart from downloading the two necessary files no internet connection is needed.

I found helpful instructions here: Installing Windows XP Mode for Virtual PC

The actual install took about 5 minutes, after which you have Windows XP up and running! Click 'exit' and XP hibernates and you are back to Win 7. Slick!

XPM supports USB but unfortunately not firewire, so that's a big stumbling block for folks with DV/HDV cameras, or (like me) with firewire external audio. Apart from that it looked promising - all my SATA drives are in RAID and it identified those fine. I have my desktop in Win7 extended across dual 1920 and 1650 LCD monitors and it dealt with that OK also.

I didnt proceeed to install CS3 because of the firewire issue, but for folks for whom USB is enough, it certainly seems worth trying.

Incidentally, 45min after I started I am back to my original Win7-only configuration, thanks to Win7's very convenient onboard disk imaging system - which gives me the confidence to try out whacky stuff and then revert back to exactly where I was before. No blue smoke!
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #22
New Boot

Me Too

Also having problems trimming 1920x1080p 29.97fps Cineform files using CS4 project manager. It goes through the motions with no errors, but does not trim any files. This is bad because I took 4 hours of raw tape, spliced it all up to get rid of the garbage then was going to use the Project export to chop it into little clips for cataloging.

Any hope on getting this fixed? How do others chop their raw footage into usuable smaller clips?
Scott Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #23
Major Player

Hey Scott,

Greetings from just a few miles down the road in Monroe.

There really is no option for trimming. I've got several terabytes of projects sitting on temp external drives awaiting their "trimming" session.

I know that Cineform has added an engineer to address this problem and the real time engine issues with CS4. If you look on this board, you'll find a thread about the revised ETA of the RTE.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase