NeoHD/4K/3D v5.0 public betas now available - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Ian,

Unlikely we will directly be adding third party I/O support, as many vendors are adding native CineForm support to their editing modes (which mark more sense.) AJA is moving fast, but I also hope to see similar for BMD and Matrox. Not ruling out to directly interfacing in the future, but the market it growing in way we expect this to be unnecessary.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
It seems that red markers are inherent with 1440x1080 anamorphic clips. We will need to look into that.
Yeah I have confirmed its the same rates as the preset.

Video plays without any stutters so it doesnt need rendering just PP thinks it does
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #18
Major Player

AVCHD vs. Cineform avi

Hello,

I just installed NeoHD with PPCS5 and it seems to work quite well.

Though I must say the performance of PPCS5 with a AVCHD preset does just fine with the Mercury Engine when I compare it to the same AVCHD video converted to cineform .avi in a cineform preset. The big negative though is with AVCHD, I can't use First Light. :(

The only negative performance issue I have seen with NeoHD and PPCS5 is when I import an AE composition into the PPCS5 timeilne; the playback is MUCH smoother in the AVCHD timeline than the cineform preset (1080p - 30p). Any ideas why? Both are set at Full Resolution. This is very important to me because the fact that I can import AE compositions without having to render them out would save lots of time and hard drive space! :)

Any ideas for the difference in performance? Can anyone else test this out?

Simon
p.s.
I should add that my system has 12 GB of RAM, FX 3800 and x980 (6-core) CPU running on Windows 7.

Last edited by Simon Zimmer; May 8th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: forgot something
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Tools within V5.0

Brain and others,

setting tools is more complex in v5.0 as you have several to choose from and many options for how they are displayed.

Basic tools setup.

1) Open FirstLight
2) Import and select a clip.
3) Click on the "Passive Metadata" tab.
4) Under "Metadata" open the "Tool" list.
5) Select the tool you want from the list and click "Add" in the top right, next to "Burnin:"

Advanced tool control

1) Select the tool you current have displayed with in the "Metadata" "Tool" list.
2) You can now set the size (via font size control), placement (9 button widget), opacity, display duration, fade in/out times and 3D Parallax. Many of these controls are under the "More" expander.
3) Add more tools, by repeating the basic tools setup.
4) Reorder tools using the "reorder < >" buttons.

Now you entire customizable tools layout is enabled and disabled via the global "Tools" checkbox.
Attached Thumbnails
NeoHD/4K/3D v5.0 public betas now available-toolv5.png  
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Simon,

There may always be some functions that work better in other presets, and CineForm is compatible other presets for that good reason, although we will continue to improve the performance on our native playback module.
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I have NeoHD v4 so do I need to uninstall that before I install V5? Thanks!
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marc,

It is highly recommended to uninstall first (but don't deactivate.) The v5.0 beta will run in trial mode for 15-days -- tin that time will will have released, so you can upgrade or simply reinstall 4.x.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi David,

No problem. Otherwise it works fine. Just something I noticed.

Great job!

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #24
Major Player

I installed the NEO 4K V5 beta and it worked great. I love the key frames and all the CC tools in FL, including the gridding. It all works perfectly with VDub, AE & PPro CS5, although I haven't gotten around to using it with Vegas Pro yet. Good job guys!

A couple of points. It's not intuitive that the Tools are added in the same fashion as you burn in the other passive metadata, but it only took me a second to figure that out. Also, the Boolean logic of the three grid tools needs a little tweaking, since you have options for H, V and both. If you start with H and then add V (which shouldn't be possible, since there is a "both" option), you get neither, at least for me. It also might help to gray out the justification (positional) matrix, if you choose the grid tools. I found myself wanting to click on the center ("."), although the matrix does nothing to the grid positioning. These are minor points, though.

I did run across one possible bug in the White Balance logic, but it doesn't seem reproducible over a range of files and metadata settings. I set the White Balance settings, added some WB keyframes and then unchecked the key frame checkbox. The Red slider than went full to the right. On WB reset, everything was reset properly, including the slider. I'll see if I can figure out what range of circumstances trigger that behavior.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Major Player

Just quickly, I have been running Neo 4K V5 and have been duly impressed so far. This is going to be a very productive tool.

My only problem, I had a couple of crashes of CS5 that I haven't explained yet. This is after a large amount of scrubbing over multi-layer video plus a little lite editing. But I have not been able to reproduce this. I have a new project to start later in the day and am anxious to see how it goes.

Q6600, 8G, Win 7

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; May 8th, 2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: typo
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #26
New Boot

Neo HD beta

David,
So far seems to working OK. Just a few minor annoyances

I set up Playback Settings for an external 1920 x 1080 monitor. Works OK until you switch between sequences or close the project and reopen, then you have to go into playback settings again, and click ok. Doesn’t have this problem with Premiere presets.

The Cineform DV presets are a nice addition I’ve always wanted them but was afraid to ask. They won’t run my CF 720 x 480 avi files. Scrubs OK but scrambles in play.

Unable to load old projects. Says,” no sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type.” Also will not import into a project with same presets ,1280 x 720 29.97p. I get the same message.

Avi file doesn’t properly fit into Firstlight. Image is smaller then player window.

Notice AE has no CF components in the Render Setting or Output Module.

Other then the above stuff new projects seem to to be running smoothly. It will be nice to be using a all new 64bit system.

Hope this will all be of some help.

Thanks,
Barry

Win 7 64bit
Intel E8500
8GB Ram
PP CS5
AE CS
Radeon HD4650
Barry Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I just installed Neo HD in Win 7 64x Production Premium CS5. I found HDLink AVCHD conversion no longer uses/has access to the DD decoder of Premier Premium CS5 as it in did in CS4. Is this going to be resolved (no, using ac3filter is not a solution)?

Ed Baldwin
Edwin Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Hello,

I am running the Adobe cs5 demo, using the latest Neo 4k build v5 beta.

When in a Cineform preset, I go to use my Shuttle controls, J, K L keys, rewind, stop, fast forward.

Tried inthe preview and programme monitors in Premeire, works fine.

Theproblem is when you try and go backwards, using the J, or the on-screen Shuttle in Premeire preview and programme window.

It just stops updating, un-till you let go of the command, then it update to what ever the Current TIme Indicator is on.

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
HP XW8600 Dual Quad Intel Xeon 5450 3ghz
8gb of Ram
Nvidia Quadro fx3700

Leo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #29
Major Player

David, how will this impact current users of Prospect HD with current projects already running in CS3 and CS4?

If we unload Prospect, then load the Neo4K beta, what should be expect with those projects?

Just being cautious with existing projects...
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I have CS3 and CS4 running alongside CS5 with Neo 4K v5. David mentioned he has included Prospect RT engine in this release so you should be able to open your old projects. I've tested all my archived CS3 projects that were made with ProspectHD and they work fine complete with all RT effects and transitions. V5 is probably the most "complete" version of Cineform so far. So IMO give it a spin.
James Park is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase