New Peak Files Every Time - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM   #16
New Boot

regenerating pek files

Yes, but first update to 5.04
Good luck

Last edited by Hans van Enkhuijzen; June 21st, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Hans van Enkhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM   #17
New Boot

regenerating pek files

John,
Yes, thats it but one remark first update to 5.04. I have the same programs as you have. Good luck
rgrds
Hans
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Premiere still generates new peak files every time I open it even thoough I updated to NeoHD 5.04 and moved the cache and media cache files. New project.

I suppose it could be I'm importing the same files I converted with the previous version of Cineform and they may be the problem. Anyway, I guess I'll have to convert some with the 5.04 version of HDLink and see what happens.
John
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Major Player

I'm still having the problem also. Since Cineform has not said that the new version fixed this problem and that it is an Adobe problem, I don't expect that this update fix it. Although I would love to know what it is that causes the problems and why some people have been apparently fixed by the update.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #20
New Boot

regenerating pek files

Before starting a new project you have to delete all other old files, pek and mcdb files in your project map including your project file. (the best is using a new name)
In addition delete the reference files in the c:/ user /local /appdata/roaming/ adobe/ priemiere pro/5.0/metadata cache and all that other date in this map.
I have not converted the AVI files from 5.03 with 5.04.
Don t forget to let windows show you the hidden files so you can find those files.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #21
Trustee

Hans, where did you get that info from?

I have here a fresh install of Win 7 64-bit with CF Neo 4K 5.0.4 and CS5.

CF video files were created using SI-2K that produces CineformRAW; as well as HDlink-converted Canon 7D files.

According to your info, my setup should be trouble-free - but unfortunately this is not the case.

PPro still creates audio peaks every times it opens the project.

Extremely annoying. Hope this glitch will be fixed soon.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Alex,

I was just getting ready to do an experiment when my RAID 0 failed. I was going to try importing into Premiere,unconverted by Cineform, AVCHD files to see if these files also caused creating PEK files everytime the project was reopened.

Have you tried importing non-cineform files to see if they cause the repeated production of PEK files?

John Rich
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #23
Trustee

John, no - didn't try that, my entire workflow is currently CF-based...

Also I believe that, even if PPro accepts and maybe even plays other media types in real time, mixing the media types in PPro timeline will likely produce problems down the line (with 3rd party progs like PluralEyes; at the rendering stage in CS5 itself; etc.)

PS. May I suggest to never use Raid0... what I do here is always Raid10. This way you are backing up constantly. So far I have never lost data (knock on wood) with my Raid10s. I recommend 2TB HDD clusters driven by

. (If you are absolutely desperate for space, try Raid5 - but it gets trickier and riskier. In any case, Raid0 = data suicide. CF lets you avoid Raid0 because of lowered file bandwidth, while enjoying almost as high image quality as using uncompressed AVIs.)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Alex,
I didn't mean to change your workflow. However, I was trying to decide (in my own mind), whether this was a cineform problem or a Premiere Problem, not that practically that means anything. Also, I was going to use a non-cineform project ie one I made in the Premiere Desktop mode, to see if that gets rid of the problem. I have NeoHD and was using one of the cineform presets (1920x1080 60i )

When I was looking at the Media Cache and Media Cache files folders, both .PEK files (in the Media cache file folder and .mcdb files in the media cache folder were being created on opening. I believe the .mcdb files were only 1kb each, but the .pek files were up to 50kb or so each. So you think the .PEK files are only for audio? I have no idea what the .mcdb files are for.

Anyway, right now, it seems like a minor irritation that only slows down the project opening as far as I can tell.
I appreciate what you had to say about the RAID 0.
John
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM   #25
Major Player

I have tried various file types and the peak files are re-generated only for Cineform files.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #26
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, my xppro system with CS3 and Prospect HD 3.4.9 doesn't regenerate the .pek files, so "the problem" appears to have happened after that.

John
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #27
New Boot

regenerating pek files

A reinstall of cineform coult be the solution. But before the new installation of 5.04 remove the left behind files of cineform files in c: program files(64) adobe/common/pugins/cs5/mediacore/cineform/delete= cfhd imprter and exporter and cf render.
Also check c: programfiles/adobe/ adobe premiere pro CS 5/ plug ins/common/delete map = cineform

And check the map c; cineform itself, deleting the files except the word doc of your activation info

Is was my appoach in addition of my earlier post. My problem is fixed. I have not reconverted my 5.03 converted files with 5.04.

Give it a try; I know it is very frustrating have a bunch of files every time regenerating before you can start.
rgds
Hans

Last edited by Hans van Enkhuijzen; June 24th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Hans van Enkhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I wonder if this link (post 2) has any bearing on this? Maybe try turning off the "XMP switch"

Adobe Forums: Premiere pro CS5 will not stop indexing...
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

excellent find, yes an old Premiere bug -- it is get confused when writing the XMP ID.

Go into the menu Edit -> Preferences -> Media and turn off "Write XMP ID to Files on Import". Save the project after it generates the .pek files for the last (redundant) time -- it will not do on your next loads. This worked on a project of mine that always regen'd its pek files.
Attached Thumbnails
New Peak Files Every Time-mediasettings.png  
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Trustee

Trying this fix now... stay tuned...
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase