New Peak Files Every Time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Major Player

New Peak Files Every Time

Each time I open a Premiere CS5 project it generates new peak files, even though it generated them the last time the project was opened. This appears to only happen with Cineform files.

When I look in the folder where the peak files are stored I see a new version of the file for each instance I have opened the project, for example:
filename.pek
filename_1.pek
filename_2.pek
filename_3.pek

This is only happening with Cineform converted files. I have tried it with files converted from a Canon 7D (h.264 files) and XH A1 (m2t files). The original un-converted files don't have the problem (peak files are only generated one time). I am using Neo 4k, although it happens with Cineform files I generated from Prospect HD also.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks, Lloyd
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Major Player

I see this too, but it's not *all* my cineform files just some of them. It does make me wonder whether some of the issues i've been seeing are sound related.

i've noticed in PPro that AIF files are not as robust as WAV. With AIF i see it using the wrong parts of a sound file sometimes, so far this hasn't happened in WAV

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Major Player

New .pek files...

I have noticed this on my latest project, and I am still on CS4 and ProspectHD. Since it is just a few at a time, I suspect these are for files that on the previous session I dropped audio tools on like hipass and lowpass, in which case it would be understandable.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm seeing this too, again just with some CFHD files (but quite a few of them). This is with a fresh 720P60 project started in CS5, using avis from an HMC40 converted using Neo4K.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #5
New Boot

regenerating pek files

Yes, I have that problem to. It seems related to HD link converted files. I suspect it is a bug of the latest updated HD link.
I am waiting on answers from cineform.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, come to think of it i think the files re-peaking are ones i've transcoded again with the new HD Link, so that could well be the culprit

cheers
paul
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #7
New Boot

regenerating pek files

Just got an email from cineform as follows;

David Newman knows about it and has been in contact with adobe. Adobe says this happens when the modified date of the avi files changes. The problem is, that Premiere is the culprit in changing this date! So David is trying to figure out what to do about it.

Last edited by Hans van Enkhuijzen; June 15th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Hans van Enkhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Major Player

If PPro is the culprit why only some cineform files and not all of them (and non cineform)? I imagine perhaps cineform is updating the meta information in their files, causing the reload? Guessing here though...

cheers
paul
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

While I said that internally and neeeded to confirm, it wasn't to go out -- we do not modify the files, yet Premiere has in the past for their metadata.

Paul,
We do not modify the files for metadata, that happens external to the AVI or MOV wrapped data.
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Major Player

It's definitely a Premiere issue. I've had this problem since CS3 and now with CS4. It seems to always happen if the external drive with the project is moved from machine A to machine B. Even if the drive letter is constant. Very annoying.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #11
Major Player

I have the same issue with CS5, worked with adobe for 2 weeks and tried every solution they threw at me. I still have just a few of the same files that keep regenerating within a project, I have no ideas whats causing this with just certain files, I only use cineform files so I can't compare. Actually thinking about it - it's only recent files encoded within the last month via HDlink, not sure if it's all files or just a few of the recent files.
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #12
New Boot

regenerating pek files

With the new update 5.04 problem is solved. Just import your 5.03 converted files in a new project and..done
No regenerating files anymore.
Thank you Cineform for this quick fix !!

Regards Hans
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #13
Major Player

Hans,

I've updated and still get peak files generated each time I open the project. Is there anything else that you might have done besides the update?

Thanks,
Lloyd
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
New Boot

Hi Lloyd,
Delete al the pek and other media cache files, including all other reference junk of your previous project also in the user application data/roaming/adobe and common map. Start a new project and import the AVI files in the new project. For your new project store the media files in the same project map as the project. You can do this by opening preferences and than check media. This was my approach and hope this will help you to.
Rgrds Hans
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hans,
I appologize for the elementary questions, but I just updated to w7 from xp.

Am I correct in saying that

1. Create a main project file for audio, premiere project, video etc.
2. In the Premier Project file (where I originally set the path for the project when it opens) I go to Edit Preverences - Media and
3. Change the location of the Media Casche Files and the Media Cache Data base to the Premiere Project file so these files are all together with the Project file.

4. Then when I update to Cineform 5.04, the Peak files won't be regenerated each time I open the project?

By the way I'm using CS5 here.

Thanks in advance,
John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase