Second Public Beta Discussion Area - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #91
Trustee

Flash XDR 2nd Public Beta QT.MOV I-Frame Recording Test Results

Hi Dan:
Very disappointing results were obtained from the second public XDR beta when I attempted Quicktime .MOV file recording using I-Frame codec scheme instead of Long GOP 180 Mbps. When recording files for QT .MOV using the I-Frame recording scheme @ 220 Mbps the resulting playback yielded.....

A) No Sound ! (I'm testing this further to be sure)
B) Glitchy, unsteady video, which breaks up and turns green !
C) Audio popping, screeching, and clicking !

I can confirm I had good audio during recording with proper VU meter modulation indication within proper limits for good 48 KHz 24 bit audio recording. I will re-test these results once again to confirm wether I can re-produce these anomalies. * CF Card playback via USB 2.0 reader in my iMAC yielded excellent playback picture quality but no audio signal. (Actually a loud hiss could be heard)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I am very surprised at this.

We will check it out.
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #93
New Boot

why post beta XDR upgrades

Is it just me that finds it astonishing that firmware upgrades are released as 'beta' ?

Beta is industry code for ' we're not sure if it works but give it a go anyway'.
1.5.25 was released with the advise that it was used for 'non production purposes' !!! what on earth else would I use it for?
I'm still on 1.1.151 as this was the last non beta available, sorry guys but I don't know any professional camera operators that will load a beta upgrade and then go out on a job!
May I suggest that if you want to release a beta upgrade then send it to a small group of trusted XDR owners, I'm sure there are some on here who would be willing to put it thorugh its paces and report back, then, and only then should you release it for everyone else.
Chris Atebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #94
Major Player

I think thats what they do??? and then send an email when its for production use .. down loaded off the site..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Atebr View Post
Is it just me that finds it astonishing that firmware upgrades are released as 'beta' ?
Chris,

This was done at the request of most of the nano and XDR users. CD has been VERY explicit that the beta releases are just for testing purposes. IMHO, this is a great program and allows users to play with near final versions of the upcoming release to help improve it. CD is extraordinarily responsive to user input and works hard to incorporate their input. It's a great community effort. CD's "customer service" even exceeds the much touted customer service that AJA has... and that's pretty amazing too.

Look above in this post. Mark Job is an XDR user and diligent tester. His efforts help improve the firmware for both XDR and nano users. Sure, CD could just send it out to a small group of testers but that limits the system/camera permutations that might catch a problem.

You are correct... most camera ops would not work with beta software in the field. What I do with my nano is load the beta software, play around with it and then reload the most recent "approved" version back onto the nano when I have a shoot.

My 2¢...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey