Flash XDR Next Firmware Release? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Intermittent Video Source problem in XDR

I am having an Intermittent Video Source problem with the XDR connected to an original XL-H1 while running the latest firmware. I note the new Nano software addresses this problem. I am doing a major shoot next Monday and am wondering if the XDR upgrade will be ready before then (fingers crossed!)

Once again let me express my appreciation for the way in which you are constantly upgrading the firmware without cost to your customers.
Nic van Oudtshoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Next XDR Firmware Release Soon ?

Hi Dan:
I have a big dollar industrial video shoot this coming Friday, and I was wondering if we will have the latest firmware release for the XDR before our shoot on Friday ? I would like to naturally take a day and test the latest firmware to make sure it's OK BEFORE I go out on a dollar shoot with it. Please advise.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

At this time, I do not when if we can meet your deadline or not.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #19
Trustee

Where is our Flash XDR Latest Firmware Release ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Mark-
We have not forgotten our Flash XDR users. We're debugging a number of issues on the nanoFlash now, but almost ever improvement will port directly over to the Flash XDR. We'll try to get an XDR update out as soon as the new nano beta is released.

Best-
...Uhhh - yeah. Well, I am starting to become concerned that it's all over for us Mike, since us XDR users have watched all the firmware attention pass by us for the Nano Flash, but nothing for us XDR users. So what's up with the latest firmware release Mike ? Where is it ? Is there something wrong ? Is there nothing more we XDR users can look forward to ? Your last word quoted above was issued six weeks ago ! Please advise.
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We re-wrote the code that interfaces with the CompactFlash cards.

We have to re-write the same interface for the Flash XDR.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Any timeframe for update?

Good to hear you are working on it - any idea when the firmware update might be available?
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Still no upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

I do not have a good estimate, but my best guess is next week.

We have been testing the release and found some problems that we need to fix.

I will attempt to learn more tomorrow.

Your 1.5.55 is the same as the current nanoFlash production version 1.5.126.
Hi Dan

This was several weeks ago! Any idea when we can expect the next firmware upgrade to at least bring the XDR in line with the Nano?
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #23
Trustee

It's been awhile now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic van Oudtshoorn View Post
Hi Dan

This was several weeks ago! Any idea when we can expect the next firmware upgrade to at least bring the XDR in line with the Nano?
Hi Nic:
Yeah, I've begun to seriously wonder if we're going to get anymore firmware releases for the XDR at all. As an XDR user, I'm feeling pretty much like the unwanted step son of the family (Or the crazy Uncle ;-) )
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Dear Mark and Nic,

We will be updating the Flash XDR firmware.

Our project to update the Flash XDR firmware has been delayed by some rush projects that we have not discussed on this forum.
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #25
Major Player

It seems it's been a really long time since the XDR users got any kind of firmware update. I'm anxious to test out the new release so I'll be patiently waiting for it, along with the rest of the XDR users.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:54 AM   #26
Major Player

Am I the only Flash XDR user who feels cheated? I spent 6000 USD not that long ago on a device that was supposed to be a flagship. How can it be that such an expensive device is left out neglected with all of us just being ignored?
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Dear Ofer, Aaron, and Mark,

I know that it has been a long time since we updated the Flash XDR firmware.

I hope you will take into consideration the magnitude of the project.

The nanoFlash has one FPGA. The Flash XDR has two.

For version 1.6.29, for the nanoFlash, we completely rewrote the code handling the CompactFlash cards.

This interface is quite complicated.

Since the Flash XDR has two FPGA's, one which comunicates with two CompactFlash cards, and a secord one to communicate with the other two, the project to update the code is more complex.

Once we get this part of the project finished, then we should be back on track updating both products at about the same time.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #28
Trustee

Time will tell

Hi Dan:
Let us hope that after all this time, the updates, bug fixes, features, and changes to the XDR will be significant and well worth the wait. The longer it takes, the higher my expectations.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM   #29
Trustee

The Silent Majority Doesn't Bother to Post !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer Levy View Post
Am I the only Flash XDR user who feels cheated? I spent 6000 USD not that long ago on a device that was supposed to be a flagship. How can it be that such an expensive device is left out neglected with all of us just being ignored?
Hi Ofer:
Don't worry Ofer, if you look to the far Right side of this thread title, you will see the number of views has reached 1,486 ! Those views are not all us Ofer. Unfortunately the grand majority of Flash XDR owners do not make regular posts on this forum, so we don't know for sure exactly what they think about the firmware update situation, or anything else, but you can be sure they are *Lurking* around comfortable to let us run interference for them ;-) Their lack of posts have created a false sense of the true number of ownership of the Flash XDR product. Although I do not believe Flash XDR's have sold in the quantities that the Nano Flash has, there is certainly more than 100 units out there !
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Will the XDR firmware update EVER HAPPEN?

I am starting to seriously doubt this. Please surprise me with an update, not more promises!!!!!!
Nic van Oudtshoorn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey