Cant see multiple layers in AE CS4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cant see multiple layers in AE CS4?

Hey everyone,

I'm bringing a premiere pro CS4 sequence into AE CS4, via:

file > Import > file > CoS.prproj > Sequence 5

Its my understanding that I should be able to see each Premiere clip as a different layer in AE once i pull it onto the AE timeline. Yet the whole sequence, which is made up of many clips, shows up as just one long layer. How do i view each individual clip from the PPro sequence as its own layer?

I also tried Dynamic linking the sequence into AE as a test, and that also did not reveal a different layer for each clip. However due to my workflow i need a solution to the method of file > import sequence. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what option i may need to enable?

I am extremely new to both of these programs so it may be something very basic like the way i cut the clips in PPro or some settings in AE. anyone have any ideas? thanks!

- Shawn
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Its File > Import > Premiere Pro sequence.

Or if you only want to edit a few clips in AE, then in Premiere, select the clip and "Unlink" so the audio doesn't get moved into AE (this makes it easier to edit the audio in Premiere). Then select the clip, right click > replace with AE composition . Then AE will open.

A word of advice: transitions and effects do NOT transfer from a Premiere project into AE. I found out the hard way.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve the "File > Import > Premiere Pro sequence" worked perfectly. I was trying to bring it in through "File > Import > File > etc..." which just brings it in as one clip.

Also thanks for the unlink and copy tip.

cheers
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Shawn, one more tip for you.

If you want to edit a clip from the Premiere timeline in AE, I recommend duplicating that clip on top of itself and edit the one on top. Why? Because it EASILY allows you to go back to the original. Once you "Replace with AE Composition", that clip is very difficult to edit in Premiere, AND you cannot revert back to the original once you save your project.

Also, lets say you want to edit one of the clips that is Dynamic Linked to AE - in Premiere, right-click the clip and select "Edit Original". This opens that clip in AE. (you don't need to select 'Replace with AE Comp')

Actually, here is another tip for editing clips using Dynamic Link - I have found a bug when reopening/re-editing Premiere projects with Dynamic Linked clips. For some reason, After Effects doesn't always link to the original source video clip. In AE, you can see this bug in the Project window. The video clip icon looks different. Here is a screen shot. The one in the middle is the linked source but it should look like the one below, which I just used the import function. When re-opening the Premiere project, AE doesn't 'see' this clip, which requires importing the clip and replacing the video layer in the AE comp. If done at the very beginning, it is not difficult. What you do is: click on the imported clip (in the Project window) and drag over the 'linked' layer (on the timeline) while holding the Alt button, and release the mouse button. This replaces the layer with the imported video.
Attached Images

Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects