Private video hosting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Compositing and Effects
After Effects, Shake and everything else.

Old April 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Private video hosting

My client (a global retailer) wants to host a video but is extremely sensitive about competitors being able to access it. I wonder if anyone could recommend a private video hosting site that meets most or all of these criteria:

1. no requirement to download an additional player (ideally will serve Flash videos)
2. able to stream a 9 minute video
3. private, non-guessable, URL link to the video, that is not published or made available to search engines
4. ideally no password required (the viewer will log on to a secure internal portal then click the link to view the video)
5. no obvious branding from the hosting company and certainly no ads!
6. cost is not a deciding factor, within reason
7. the video would ideally be embedded in an existing page on the clients portal, with nothing obvious to suggest it is hosted externally.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ian, how about Vimeo?
You can choose in settings of the video to hide it from it's hosting, configure embedding (what should appear on video, hide branding e.t.c.). If video is in SD 9 minutes should be fine. Cost is like $10 a mo.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I know it's done all the time, but I believe Vimeo's terms and conditions specifically prohibit using their site for a commercial hosting site. The intent is for video and film makers to share their work.

FWIW

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, I looked into Vimeo a while ago and found the same thing, Rob, at least for the free service. I wasn't aware there was a configurable pay service though. Maybe there aren't those restrictions? I really do need to 'follow the rules' on this one as it's for a rather important client! I'll check and report. Thanks both.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

No, same rules apply for the free and the plus service:

- You may not upload commercials, infomercials, or demos that actively sell or promote a product or service. Exceptions: independent production companies, authors, musicians, non profits, churches, artists, and actors may show or promote the work they have created.

- Businesses may not use Vimeo to externalize their hosting costs. Vimeo (including Vimeo Plus) is not a business service.

- You may not upload videos containing ads before or after the video, unless given prior written permission from an authorized member of the Vimeo staff. Videos with any advertisements in them, including links to commercial sites, regardless of content, will be removed.

- You may not upload videos pertaining to Multi Level Marketing (MLM), get rich quick, cash gifting, work from home business, or any other dubious money making ventures.

- You may not upload product promotions or sales videos, such as real estate walkthroughs.

- Television stations may not redistribute their programming.

The video in question is actually an internal video making store managers aware of a new piece of software, so it doesn't fall into the 'actively selling' etc bracket in the first point. However, the client IS looking to 'externalise' its hosting of this single video, so I guess Vimeo is ruled out. Thanks anyway!
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ian, than the best way wood be integrating some sort of player to their hosting and configuring it their desired way. Some web programming skills may need to be involved.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If they are a global retailer, they could just host it on their own server. Especially if they want it to remain private, they could host it on their intranet where company login would be required to access that area.

It seems like the PR folks always want us to provide a solution as opposed to dealing with their IT departments - sometimes I can understand.

But they best way to protect it is put it in the same place they put all of their sensitive info - on their servers, behind their firewalls, with their company login and password required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
My client (a global retailer) wants to host a video but is extremely sensitive about competitors being able to access it. I wonder if anyone could recommend a private video hosting site that meets most or all of these criteria:

1. no requirement to download an additional player (ideally will serve Flash videos)
2. able to stream a 9 minute video
3. private, non-guessable, URL link to the video, that is not published or made available to search engines
4. ideally no password required (the viewer will log on to a secure internal portal then click the link to view the video)
5. no obvious branding from the hosting company and certainly no ads!
6. cost is not a deciding factor, within reason
7. the video would ideally be embedded in an existing page on the clients portal, with nothing obvious to suggest it is hosted externally.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Ian . . .
Mike Brice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Digital Compositing and Effects