Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 4th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony launches PXW-Z100 4K Handheld XDCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
well, it'll be interesting to see what SNR they pull out of this one, it's a .42" sensor with 8 million pixels, vs an ex1/pmw200 which has 2 million pixels with a .5" sensor. but they did throw in another big long bone with that 20x zoom. claims a 29.5mm equivalant wide, meaning it goes to a FF 590mm long end equivalent. if that's a constant aperture of 1.9 like he prior cameras, then hells yes sony.
it is f1.6-3.5 if i remember right
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Major Player

Sony has also announced the new FDR-AX1 Handycam at IFA 2013. The FDR-AX1 has a similar specification to the PXW-Z100 but is only capable of QFHD (3840 x 2160) recording with the XAVC S format. The FDR-AX1 uses 4:2:0, Long GOP and MP4 file format.

Key features

1. 4K (4096x2160) 50p or 60p shooting
The camcorder provides extremely high sensitivity due to the back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor. With 8 million effective pixels, the 1/2.33" sensor captures 4K images at 50p or 60p. The inbuilt high-performance G Lens offers maximum shooting flexibility, including a wide angle of 29.5mm (equivalent to 35mm) and 20x powerful optical zoom.

2. XAVC recording format at 4K 50p/60p, 4:2:2 10-bit at 500/600Mbps, HD at up to 223Mbps
The PXW-Z100 uses Sony’s XAVC recording format first employed in the PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K camera. MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression is used for HD (1920x1080), QFHD (3840x2016) and 4K (4096×2160) content. Image sampling is 4:2:2 10-bit, with an intra-frame system that compresses each frame individually at a maximum bit rate of 500Mbps or 600Mbps during 4K 50p or 60p recording respectively and 223Mbps during HD 50p or 60p recording. The XAVC format is ideal for those looking to implement a high-quality, secure and worry-free workflow.

3. XQD Memory Card recording
The XQD Memory Card is a new standard of solid state memory, which was recently defined by several industry leading companies. XQD uses the ultra-fast PCI Express interface and Sony’s unique camera processor to enable stable video recording at 500Mbps or 600Mbps. The PXW-Z100 features two XQD Memory Card slots. Multiple cards can be used in various ways, such as for relay recording. When the first card becomes full, recording continues on the second card without a break.
* The use of new S Series XQD cards (QD-S32E or QD-S64E which supports 180MB/s transfer speed) is recommended.

4. HDMI interface for 4K output and 3G HD-SDI interface for HD output
The HDMI interface on the PXW-Z100 can output 4K as a 50p/60p signal. When the PXW-Z100 is connected to a Sony 4K-compatible BRAVIA TV, the recorded 4K image can be displayed in 4K 50p/60p quality. A future firmware upgrade is planned to provide compatibility with the new HDMI 2.0 standard and enable 4K 50p/60p output to a wider range of devices. Other features include a 3G HD-SDI interface that supports output up to HD 60p. It also supports HD output during 4K recording.

5. Paint function for more creative freedom
The PXW-Z100’s paint function enables multiple image parameters to be adjusted including gamma curve, black level, skin detail and colour. The range of settings is similar to those available in the PMW-F55. Together with other setting options, parameter settings can be recorded as a camera profile onto a memory card. The recorded camera profile can then be used to set the same parameters in another PXW-Z100 to enable the matching of quality and image tones when using a multi-camera setup.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Trustee

Alister,

I have a wild guess that you maybe you have spent some time wih this camera. I'm sure we are all here are wondering about it's low light ability, dynamic range and how many lines of recolution it resolves.

Hopefully you are able to get it on some charts before you send it back. ;-)

CT

p.s. I'd love to see some side "HD" (not 4k) by side tests between this and the PMW200.

Last edited by Cliff Totten; September 4th, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
After all (lawyers, take note, it's on the video and on the photos) there's a ruddy great 'XDCAM' logo on the side of the camera too. LOL.
I've just been looking at the page of a major UK dealer and amongst the specs it says nothing about XDCAM codecs. It lists the XAVC I-frame only specs and then goes on to say "XAVC LongGOP and AVCHD upgrade (mid 2014) ". Apart from that, it only really refers to 50/60p use at 4k and 1080, which starts to make me wonder if it will even do 1080i or 1080p at lower framerates. If it won't, then obviously there's no point in having the XDCAM codecs!

As far as the photos go, then I only hope "XDCAM" is not just there as a sub brand and it really does indicate the codec usage. I'm surprised that the "XDCAM" is in so much bigger lettering than "XAVC" - which tends to make me think (unfortunately) that it may well refer to "brand" rather than actual codec.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Trustee

I never really looked at XDCAM as a CODEC really. MPEG2 Long GOP was the real CODEC that XDCAM used with it's Sony file structure. I think XDCAM was really a Sony marketing badge to denote a higher, professional quality product line of family.

This is going to bring up a very intersting "shootout" within the XDCAM family line today.

New customers with $6000 to spend are now going need to make a descision on where to spend it. In fact, I certainly expect the $4500 "HandyCam" version will be enough to attract "pros" away from NXCAM and even XDCAM in allot of cases. I'm an FS100 and EX1r guy but for the price?...That HandyCam spec sheet looks plenty impressive to me.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I think Sony may be staging the releases a little !!! The AX1 is on my list as another camera to my NX5U since the present spec for the PXW-Z100 does not fit my main use of theatre production I would need an automatic card changer to get the time at the high XAVC data rates !!! With the firmware upgrade next year essentially including the AX1 spec in the PXW-Z100 then it will be attractive for a lot of applications. But that is a year away !!! The FDR-AX1 with 4K and AVCHD is very attractive to me. Depending on the performance it may well just replace my NX5U.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

The DVi news link has now been updated with the U.S. copy of the Z100 press release.

It's a 2-for-1, you get the U.S. and U.K. versions of it. Plus photos!

See Sony Unveils New Professional 4K Camcorder at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I never really looked at XDCAM as a CODEC really. MPEG2 Long GOP was the real CODEC that XDCAM used with it's Sony file structure. I think XDCAM was really a Sony marketing badge to denote a higher, professional quality product line of family.
XDCAM meant something much more specific than just "a higher, professional quality product line". It was originally applied to disc based recording, using a specific sub-set of MPEG2 and other characteristics defined as well. It subsequently got extended to include HD and solid state media and whilst variations were later added (XDCAM EX and XDCAM 422) it's meaning was always pretty specific.

That's not to say things haven't changed with this, and this camera is the first XDCAM camera that won't actually record any form of XDCAM (Doh!) but if so - it is a change.

Is Chris able to enlighten us? Will it have an option to record 1080 in XDCAM 422 and/or XDCAM EX codecs?
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Good question, David. I have submitted it to my primary contact at Sony USA.

The business day is over in New York, so it'll most likely be tomorrow before I get a reply, but I'm betting the answer is no, for no other reason than the press release which refers only to the XAVC recording format.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Chris perhaps you could also find out if there is still the Lanc control.There is a plug on the handle just where the Lanc control is on my NX5U and since it looks like the NX5U was the source model I expect it to be there but isn't mentioned anywhere that I have seen so far. The seventh button is right next to it assigned for expanded focus on my NX5U and I expect the same on the AX1 and Z100 too !!!

Ron Evans
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Good question, David. I have submitted it to my primary contact at Sony USA.
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

If the answer is "no" I'd also be very grateful if you could pass on that at least one person ( :-) ) thinks it's a bad idea - for the reason that an owner may want to use it one day for the primary intended purpose with XAVC, then do XDCAM work for someone else the next day.

If it's not dual capable, that may put a lot of people off selling something like an EX1 to part fund the purchase of this, if they are still going to have an XDCAM need.
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #27
Space Hipster

Time to sell the FS100.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Time to sell the FS100.
I may sell my NX5U as the AX1 should be able to cover all that the NX5U can do plus 4K. However I do not think it will be able to do shallow depth of field like the FS100 or have the ability to use primes and see in the dark or very long tele lens etc etc. However the standard 1/3" cams will have real competition.

Ron Evans
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #29
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I do not think it will be able to do shallow depth of field like the FS100
I know, and I don't care. Given the choice between shallow depth of field and prime lenses or 4K images, I'll go with 4K.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Wonder when we will see the NEX-AE50/VG30 4K versions !!!!! After reading about the AX1/ Z100 most of the afternoon I think the AX1 will be coming home with me when they are available !!! If only it had a touch screen and touch spot focus it would hit all my wants !!!! I assume the lens is the same as on my NX5U that holds focus well with zooming so that will not be a problem for me as I have got used to the critical focus of HD which I expect may be even more critical with 4K.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News